FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm screwing up work

Author Topic: I'm screwing up work
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]

I got in Trouble at work today. I feel like utter poo.

On Monday, I was halfway to work when I realized I'd forgotten my wallet. Had to turn around and go back. Left again. Five minutes out, I realized I'd forgotten my NOTES. Had to go back AGAIN. [Mad] I can't do my job without my wallet or notes.

So I miss staff meeting. Which is mandatory.

Today I was told in supervision that if I do it again, I'll be suspended. [Eek!]

But wait, there's more.

The tooth thing? Tuesday, had five cavities filled. Took all steps necessary to make sure I'd be able to work.

Except the dentist screwed up. I ended up with some nasty pain for a day and a half. Had to call in sick.

Was informed today that I really need to focus on being more reliable. [Wall Bash]

But wait, there's more.

Last thursday I had a heavy spring loaded door shut on my achilles tendon, causing some nice bruising and swelling. This happened at work. So once I get back to the office, I ask my supervisor if I should write an incident report (it hurts and I'm worried about damage to the tendon).

She asks if I have any pain tolerance at all.

o_O

I was already on a prescription anti inflammatory!

Argh. She actually does apologize for it today in this supervision hour of smackdown, but tells me that I should call her on my way in just after an incident so that she has warning of what I'll ask.

[Wall Bash]

I feel like I'm in Office Space lately.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Or an episode of Dilbert. Sorry to hear that! Stress at work is not a happy thing.

A friend of ours travels a lot with his boss and his boss locked the keys in the car. Our friend expressed his gratitude that the fault was the boss' and not his, because it's OK for your boss to screw up, but heaven forbid the underling screw up! [Mad] 'Tis the way of things.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. She was totally out of line with that pain tolerance comment. Sorry you're having a rough time at work, Mack.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
((Mack))

That is the THIRD reference to Office Space that I've heard in 24 hours! *runs out to rent Office Space again*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's why I own the dvd. [Wink]

And yeah...I mean...considering the sports I do that involve pain (snowboarding, fasthiking)...I KNOW I have a high pain tolerance. Hell, when your dentist says you do...

[Dont Know]

It just seems that I can't do anything right lately. But at the same time they're telling me all the previous stuff...they're telling me that when I'm there, I'm a fantastic case manager and it's all positive comments. o_O

They aren't communicating that very well.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Of course, anyone who trivializes a tendon or ligament injury has almost certainly never had one.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Jon Boy said.

You're not screwing up work -- you do a great job. Injuries are not your fault.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
*echoes jon and dkw*
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*agrees with celia*
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

Just don't go postal.

Go pharmical! It's so much more delicious!

Seriously though, I hope it all works out. Things tend to do just that, just give this some time. [Wink]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Argh. She actually does apologize for it today in this supervision hour of smackdown, but tells me that I should call her on my way in just after an incident so that she has warning of what I'll ask.
Yeah, because SHE'S totally insensitive and can't control her mouth, YOU have to walk on eggshells around her and make sure nothing is ever unexpected for her. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
mack,

I'm sorry your boss isn't more like my boss. When I screw up, we sit down (if necessary) and figure out what to do about the situation and what to do in the future. It's painful, sure, (I mean, it's never fun to have a failing pointed out in an honest way) but it's a far better process than what you seem to be experiencing.

For starters, I know I'm not suddenly devalued as an employee. That I also have choices and can make things work better for all concerned. Or not! But the coolest thing is that once the talk is done and she's had her say, it's over. No grudges or extra scrutiny. In other words, there is trust that I will do the right thing and it's up to me.

Being twitterpated of late, I have to admit that my mind hasn't been always on the things I'm paid to do. Too much of that and my value to the company really would plummet. Because the little things one does now build the new business opportunities for tomorrow. At least in our business.

You're in a different situation, of course. But I would think that a good leader would be able to adopt and adapt a positive team approach and build his/her people up even when things aren't going perfectly.

All I can say is that it's possible to have it better and getting that is more valuable than money or other types of payment.

IMHO.

Good luck!

I know you had problems in your previous job and, honestly, I don't know what it is about health care, but I've yet to see a positive work environment in a health care setting (except for my previous dentist who is like Peter Pan with loads of cash).

I hope it gets better soon!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
You said earlier that your supervisor acts inconsistently. This certainly sounds like one of those times.

She and Ela's administrators all need to take a class on leadership together.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bob, the power in the health care field really goes to peoples' heads, somehow. The hierarchy is really nasty.

Although I watched this new employee at my college library turn from a sweet fellow employee to the nastiest supervisor I ever saw in the span of three years, so I guess it happens in all fields.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
mac-
I know it sounds trite, but it could be spring fever. Strong emotions can put my head in the clouds and completely incapacitate me for detailed work.

On one hand, I wish for your mind to get more organized so that you'll have an easier time at work; on the other hand, I'm hoping that you are in the messy stages of puppy love and hoping it last for a long time.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I almost forgot.

Mack...you're great at what you do. Remember that!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

We're actually guessing that a higher dose of one med is interacting with another med to create some odd memory quirks.

I dunno.

Today just make me doubt my skills in this job.

Then I go to class today and do a presentation on my research proposal that gets rave reviews from the class (I used a few experiential sensory examples and it turned out really cool). Then was told by the professor and classmates later that I'd told about going for my phd that I'd be a shoe-in.

But I get crapped on at work lately.

But therapists, when sending referrals, will actually request I be assigned their case.

[Wall Bash]

Maybe I can get a job in a lab for a year.

Know of any?

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
But therapists, when sending referrals, will actually request I be assigned their case.
Cling to this kind of thing. And the positive regard of your prof & classmates. You know the negative stuff is FALSE, right? So dwell on the positive.

It's more fun.

The first rule of superivision that I learned was ALWAYS be nice to the people you supervise and try to make them as good as they can be. Because some day, they may be your boss and you'll be glad you trained them well.

[Big Grin]

I think any supervisor who doesn't "get" this is unworthy of the title and the responsibility.

Mack, you are going to go so far beyond this current job. Just be patient. And when it is your turn to supervise, be a leader and build your people up.

mackillian
Member # 586

I WAS a supervisor once, at my summer camp job where I was the boating director. I was fair and calm and encouraged growth, development, camraderie and fun.

And we had that.

We managed to build a sailing program out of nothing. We refurbished two sloops.

But the assistant director began to harass me to be a hardass with my staff. Began to yell at them FOR me.

Yelling gets nothing done except to diminish you and your victim.

So I refused.

And got in trouble. And more trouble. Was given and ultimatum.

So I resigned rather than be forced to change my convictions. Many people quit after me, as well.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I sold my half of my business - my partner decided to start being a hardass for no good reason.

We had a programmer with ADD. There were two managers on the project (me and a VP). The programmer came to us and said his meds were causing him to have very wierd sleep cycles and could he have a more flexible schedule. The VP and I said that was fine as long as he made the weekly status meetings with the client, the project stayed on schedule, and he was available to the other programmers for collaberation.

He missed a one of the meetings and we reminded him they were critical to the project (they really were, because we were working with evolving sysem requirements). After that, the project stayed on schedule. The programmer had to work a couple of weekends to keep up, which he volunteered to do before we had to ask him.

Three-quarters of the way through the project, my partner and his crony decided it was bad for moral for this progammer to be allowed to arrive at noon everyday and forbade him from doing it. Despite the fact that the two managers on the project were very happy with his work.

I knew I had to sell out (or buy my partner out) when I realized I wouldn't recomend the company as an employer to my friends. And I owned half of it.

Dagonee
Edit: and Mack, these are the types of things that work themselves out. You do good work, people request to work with you.

[ April 02, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, your supervisor is a jerk. You're good at what you do. I hope you won't let your supervisor's attitude ruin your love of what you do. (((Mack)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We had a programmer with ADD. There were two managers on the project (me and a VP). The programmer came to us and said his meds were causing him to have very wierd sleep cycles and could he have a more flexible schedule. The VP and I said that was fine as long as he made the weekly status meetings with the client, the project stayed on schedule, and he was available to the other programmers for collaberation.

He missed a one of the meetings and we reminded him they were critical to the project (they really were, because we were working with evolving sysem requirements). After that, the project stayed on schedule. The programmer had to work a couple of weekends to keep up, which he volunteered to do before we had to ask him.

Dag,

congratulations on your true appreciation of what "reasonable accommodations" means. This includes the part where you held the line on the meetings.

Wankers like your partner really burn my butt and guarantee we'll see ADA-related litigation for some time to come.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
mack,
Needless to say that I also, like everybody else here, have a lot of trust in you and your abilities (especially those photography skills [Smile] .)

Part of me though tries to look at it from the other side's point of view. See, I have a student with something like borderline-ADD. He's one of the brightest kids I've ever met, and we give him an unbelievable amount of leeway. We even pay almost twice the usual sum because he's enrolled on the other side of the Charles but chose to work with us, which leaves us with double overhead costs etc.

Now, there have been quite a few occasions where he was late (in person or with a task), to the point where I'm not sure anymore whether I can rely on him with anything important. He ALWAYS has a perfectly reasonable excuse, so convincing that it is hard to be mad. I keep telling him that to say "I'm sorry" is equivalent, in my book, to "I will not let this happen again," but somehow these words seem to have a different meaning for him.

You can see where this goes, right? We're working on it, and things have been better lately. I guess what I'm saying is that these things create frustration on both sides, and it is a good thing if both sides look into possible adjustments in order to grow into a better team.

One thing I've learned is that good communication is extremely important. Meaning that the supervisor has to lay out very clearly what is expected, but also that the student/employee should immediately call if something goes wrong, if it becomes clear there will be a delay. (Not so long ago I spent a whole Sunday waiting at work because I had thought we had agreed to work on something together that was needed the next day. The student showed up at 10p.m. I was mad like hell. Turns out there had been a miscommunication of sorts (or so I was suckered to believe.))

Soooo... Make sure you keep people informed about what's happening WHILE it's happening. Organize stuff so it's virtually impossible to forget notes in the future. And so on.

Of course, I'm not at all saying that your supervisor was right to treat you the way she did, but then, I'm sure you know that. [Smile]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks - coming from you that means a lot. Our company was ADA-exempt due to size, but I don't think any company is exempt from the constraints of decency.

Granted, fewer accomodations are probably reasonable for a 15-person company than for a 1500-person company. But this one seemed like a no-brainer from both a decency and managerial perspective.

Looking back, I think their problem may have been with me, and they had no power to get at me. So they went after people who's loyalty was perceived to be to me, rather than them.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw the subject of this thread I thought, "What a fun place to work." Then I looked more closely and realized that the word
was "up".

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I completely understand the compromise part.

And I'm TRYING to keep with my supervisor's rules. Except she keeps changing them. [Wall Bash]

And I'm suspicious of the disciplinary step jump.

The policy states that it goes verbal warning, written warning, suspension.

But I was told if it happens again, I will be suspended.

But it's the first time it's happened.

And I will accept fault in some of it. I'm bored at my job, so I'm sure my initiative isn't what it used to be. But I DO my job, do my paperwork, attend intakes and case conferences, keep working well with my clients, etc. But being crapped on like yesterday makes me NOT want to try harder--especially when I AM trying hard and they change the rules on me every time.

I questioned my shrink about this situation. He asked if I'd had any med changes. I had two weeks ago. Both he and my psychiatrist are thinking that some of the memory stuff is due to a medication interaction. Shrink wanted to know if I'd told my supervisior that I'd had a med change. I said no, I didn't think it was important. Apparently it is. [Dont Know] I guess that somehow, if they knew I wasn't doing this stuff out of being irresponsible but because meds are screwing with my head...

I dunno. After all the crap I went through that they DO seem to hold against me when any physical illness crops up, I'm reluctant to mention any sort of my mental health stuff again.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Jamie)))
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wow. She was totally out of line with that pain tolerance comment. "

She sure was. That was demeaning and uncalled for.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She asks if I have any pain tolerance at all
I'll poop in her shoes for a small fee.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former HR director, this is sending up red flags for me. Here is what they are doing that is unacceptable:

• Not accommodating your medical condition. This includes holding it against you, which they are not allowed to do - you are protected under the law.
  • Skipping steps in the disciplinary process is a huge no-no.
  • Trivializing your on-site injury. This is how workers' comp suits get won (by workers).
You're are within your rights to take them to task by way of a strongly-worded memo to your supervisor and your supervisor's supervisor.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm afraid if I speak out against this stuff, I'll lose my job. They have done a lot of accomodation...I think. But the rule is that if my stats fall below 53% for two months in a row, I can be fired. My stats have yet to fall below, btw, even in my worst months. Their main problem with me is that in the past, my illness won't allow me to work, and therefore I can't see clients. As that IS our job (as are a mental health agency), it creates a problem in terms of them putting extra people on each of my cases and making sure that the clients are still receiving services.

One incident a couple weeks ago involved a snowstorm. Company policy is that we're allowed to exercise the option of cancelling clients and taking annual leave if we aren't comfortable driving in inclement weather. Now, I've gotten in trouble for 1. missing mandatory intake meeting and 2. cancelling clients without enough notice (in fact, I'd received a verbal warning for it). Now, I had clients starting at 3 pm. I knew it was supposed to start snowing hard between 2-3 pm and that I didn't want to drive in it. I didn't want to cancel clients too late. So at 11am, I called and spoke with clients and rescheduled for later in the week. I attend the mandatory intake.

I go back to the office to do paperwork until twoish. Let me supervisor know.

She takes me to another place for a talk. o_O

I'm informed that I'd used bad judgement and should've waited to cancel. That the intake is not mandatory. That if I was going to cancel my clients, I should've just stayed home, as our job IS the clients and if we aren't seeing any, we shouldn't come in.

*blink*

I'm on salary and required to be present in the office? [Wall Bash]

I hate inconsistency. This is WHY I'm so frustrated. It's like I can't do anything right. I don't want to talk about my illness anymore because it seems if I show any instability, they account it to my illness. They start keeping strict watch over me and reevaluate my progress and status.

I also regularly get scolded about using my sick time...that I should be saving it in case I come down with an illness and need to use more than one day.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, you work with DSS, right, or NH's version of it? Do you have any kind of union? I really agree with Mrs. M, that this is way out of line, and that you should file a grievance with the union or with her supervisor.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I work for a community mental health center. No union. It's a fairly small organization, meaning I readily interact with my supervisor's supervisor and the director of the department.

I feel like I'm screwed, really. No matter what, I'll look like the bad guy, as they've graciously kept me employed despite my shortcomings.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Grrrr.

I hope things get better.

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, that sucks.

The 'pain tolerance' comment was completely out of line.

I hope you are documenting your grievances (on your computer).

This is a very frustrating situation. I don't have any knowledgeable advice, just sympathy.

Document, document, document. I hope you don't ever have to use what you document, but it's like car insurance, there if you need it.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't you allowed to take your sick time when you want to take it? I mean, it's not really any of their business is it?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.