FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Convenience breakfast foods

Author Topic: Convenience breakfast foods
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I can tolerate microwave dinners.

But quickie breakfast things, like pop-tarts, or breakfast burritos, are just disgusting.

Especially cold pop-tarts.

I'm at work, and hungry. I need a chicken biscuit from Hardees.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm.... pre-made PB&J in a conveniant environmentally detrimental package [Wink] .
It makes me shake my head in disgust when I see commercials for this crap. What kind of lazy ass society have we become that we cant make our own PB&J's? Or breakfast burritos, for that matter.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeew, Hardee's.

I usually eat something like a granola bar for breakfast (or at any time during the day/night). I have this granola bar thing... I've probably tried about two dozen kinds of granola bars, searching for the best. Right now I'm partial to the yogurt-bottom ones, for some bizarre reason. Sunbelt's oatmeal granola bars are great (I think they have coconut in them). I don't like the kinds with chocolate chips or raisins or candy bar pieces in them.

The only pre-prepared frozen foods I eat on any regular basis (read: once every few months) are chicken pot pies and pork dumplings. Mmm.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock the breakfast burritos. It's the best thing McDonald's serves. Actually, it's the only good thing McDonald's serves.

But Chick-Fil-A has the world's best breakfast sandwich. Darn it, now I'm hungry again.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon Pez.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate dry breakfast-y type things (I also notoriously hate breakfast). But the dry thing is from I am REALLY thirsty in the morning.

But I also need portability as I'm always on the verge of being late. So lately it's been Go-Gurt since it isn't dry and has a lot of protein (things that are Just Carbs shoot through me very very fast). I'm also partial to NutraGrain's yogurt bars.

*shrug* small bagels (of the lender's type) with a good portion of cream cheese, tend to stick with me well. But they require a bit more preparation.

So I don't eat them enough as I should.

Any ideas of what I should do for breakfast?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with AvidReader on this. Love Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuits. Just the right kind of chicken filet with great spices and the right tasting biscuit with good texture. I no longer like McDonalds biscuits. (They used to be good back in the 80's.) And everywhere else, the chicken filet looks like a piece of cardboard masquerading as cardboard-like-chicken.

Of course, I don't get to eat their chicken biscuits all too often. That's why they are such a treat.

Normal breakfast is Cream of Wheat with fruit mixed in or honey.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't eat breakfast.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to say that the Egg McMuffin was nature's perfect food. Biscuits are really too high in fat for me at that time of day. Ensure High Protein works too, because it's low in fat and has plenty of protein to buffer the carbs. But the truth is that any carbs at all first thing in the morning sort of make me sick. That's why my favorite breakfast is a plain scrambled egg or two, cooked by me, in one pat of butter, on my gas stove. I'm good at it, so fixing it, eating it, and putting the dishes in the dishwasher takes about 10 minutes total.

(I finally have a gas stove again after years of trying to cook on electric stoves furnished with rental units. Electric stoves suck so much. Gas is the only way to cook!)

[ April 03, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn right. [Smile]

(I say this after, in the first year, managed to have a pilot light go out, singe my eyebrows and hair, and not realize how to control range temperature).

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww, that packaged stuff is nasty. Eggo can't compare to me. I make the best granola too.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Homemade granola smells soooo good when it's baking. *drool*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, breakfast issues. [Smile]

The best breakfast in the world is bacon, eggs, mushrooms & coffee. Proper coffee. ::drools:: However, I never have time for that unless it's holidays, so I end up speed-eating Ricies & hot chocolate at 6.30 every morning!! 6.30am is NOT a proper time to eat - I'm never hungry and always rushed. [Mad] And then my stomach starts grumbling IN LECTURES about halfway through the morning, so I end up snacking on junk food (convenient to eat in the 5 minute breaks we have between lectures). Seriously, sometimes I would kill for an extra hour in the morning. [Evil] So, solutions?

Also, what's a granola bar? Is it like a muesli bar? [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm addicted to Cherry Pop Tarts.

Cold Cherry Pop Tarts.

But personally, my parents made the eggs/hash browns/bacon combo way too many times when I was young, so I'd rather have fruit, bagels, cereal, etc. or normal lunch food for breakfast.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Little Debbie Fudge Rounds.

Mmmmm!

The perfect breakfast food!

[Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I like eggs with sausage links or bacon. It's about the only good thing our dorm Cafeteria has to offer, so I look forward to it every morning I can.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
tt&t, I try to do brunch and an afternoon snack instead of lunch. I like small amounts of carrot sticks, cheese, or apple slices as snacks. Cut them up the night before and leave them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Then you can grab the bag and go in the morning.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, hash browns... [Smile]

I'm not sure that carrot sticks would do the trick... I can eat fruit and veggies all day and still be hungry. The cheese might help, though. Mmmm cheese & apples! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, a perfect red delicious with sharp cheddar.Yummmy.
Put a tsp of orange juice in the baggie with the apple slices, and shake it, and they won't brown.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.