FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Signs of spring

Author Topic: Signs of spring
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious if people are feeling sparks of happiness as spring dawns, and want to share things that set it off.

This is mine- I was reading on my bed, and my bedroom door was just barely ajar and it started doing the tapping shut and opening, tapping shut and opening thing that happens when air flows through the room. The sound made me feel giddy, and I thought- what is this? And I realized it was because it only happens in spring when all the windows are open. I think the smell of spring air and the birds through the window contributed.

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wake up, and the sun is shining in my room... my dog is sleeping on top of the blankets at the foot of my bed, and the sun makes her fur look even redder than usual.

When I get dressed, I wear summery clothes -- skirts, etc. I LOVE it. I can walk my dog for hours outside without my nose going numb! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks out window at snow storm*

Spring? What's that!?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*Ahem*

To quote a Nirvana song:

quote:
weather changes moods
Spring is here again
reproductive glands

Love is in the air at Hatrack. [Kiss]

[ April 04, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Spring is a time when wedding invitations arrive.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to bed this morning, the birds were starting to chirp outside my window.

And when I had my window open for most of yesterday, a bunch of little bugs got in. It must be spring.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm curious if people are feeling sparks of happiness as spring dawns, and want to share things that set it off.

Oh hell yeah.

Spring and summer. I love them.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

I love smelling sunscreen.

And I don't have to blow on my nalgene to get it open in the morning when I'm working outdoors. For some reason that stands out more than not having to pack down snow for a place to sleep.

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

lol, Valentine

definitely some kind of fever

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
My flowerbeds are full of lovely, colorful flowers! They ought to be since I spent several days last fall planting nearly 200 bulbs!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, we went a bit far afeild of our flowerbeds, though they are lovely too...but you just can't match THIS. It was such a lovely day today. [Smile]

[ April 04, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
My natural inclination towards appreciating the onset of spring is marred by anxiety: late spring to early fall is the traditional yearly period for me to be out of money and always be scraping pennies together to pay my rent, and eating if I have any left over. After a few years of this, just seeing the snow melt is enough to make me worried and stressed out...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I woke up, looked out my window, and saw huge snowflakes falling to the ground. [Grumble]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

Sorry to you northerners for whom this thread is painful. *blowing warm air northward*

dh, are you in the age category for crazy resort seasonal jobs?

[ April 04, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Lara ]

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno about crazy resort seasonal jobs.... I am, however, in the age category for "poor unemployed students with large student loan debt"...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

What's a crazy resort seasonal job anyway? [Dont Know]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

dh,
How about summer camp, where you can live?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

You mean getting a job in a summer camp? Why, does that pay well?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I know a few boarding schools you could work in. Free room and board, great paid vacations, free education past what you have.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Some pay OK, but not well. You have free living expenses, though. One guy I worked with at the school saved close to all his money. Even when we went out, he was so cheap(frugal, I suppose) that he ate in the dining room and drank beer at home before we went out. Somehow, he never had to drive. And he wanted to go to the places with free fodd at Happy Hour. But I digress, and Happy Hour is a thing of the past.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Hmm... those sound like the kind of thing I would like... Problem is, it would only be for the summer till I go back to school, and I'd still have to pay my rent during that time... So it wouldn't really be different from any other summer job... though it does sound more interesting...
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Even Virginia is still a tad cold. At least Norfolk is.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
The snake-grass I've been trying to cultivate is finally sending up new stems all on it's own. [Smile]
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

excess nasal drippage
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, and for the next few, precious weeks, the mountainside behind my home, which during most of the year is gray-brown stone and dirt with scattered yucca and cactus, is covered in green with little yellow flowers. The bushes in my front yard are a solid mass of pale pink blossoms, which all too soon will scorch and drop off. I really need to take a drive up to see the wildflowers at Red Rock Canyon before the heat sets in.

It's the best time of year in Las Vegas, and if you blink you'll miss it.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a certain rise in streakers at UT... So, yeah, it's spring.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Walking home today, between the snow drifts mounded up yesterday, I noticed that half-inch stalks of grass were beginning to appear at the side of the paths (which are torn up by snowploughs during the winter.)

That is is always the first sign of spring, and I love to see it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
Signs of spring? It already might as well be Summer, here in Texas [Wink]
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.