FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moms...

Author Topic: Moms...
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom sent me this in an email today...she said it was so I could know how she felt about me.

[Cry]

So for my mom and for all the moms on Hatrack, [Kiss] and [Group Hug] . You're loved too!

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so beautiful! I know being pregnant is supposed to make you weepy anyway but I am bawling now! Excuse me, I need to go call my Mama now. [Cry]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"an emotional wound so raw"

Ah, it is so true. What a beautiful letter.

When I had my first baby, someone gave me a poem she had written, on a bar napkin. I keep it in the first photo book:

"A mother's heart is no longer safe behind ribs of bone, secreted behind muscle and tissue. A heart in the name of a child walks about naked."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for putting that up.

Just on the side, it's my mom's birthday in a week, I went to buy her a present and found a necklace with both our birthstones on it. Ruby and Amethyst. What an awful combo. But I bought it anyway [Smile]

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom sent me this e-mail when our conflicts were at their worst, a few months ago:

quote:
Hi FooFoo,
there is one song I loved when I was about 18 which talks about the mutual and respective hard time parents and children have and about the importance of trying to see both sides' points of views and hardships. I thought of it again this week, with the miscommunication difficulties we're having, for the first time as a parent, and I wanted to send it to you. Maybe you'll find some comfort in it too and maybe it might just help a little bit to understand that, as parents and children, we are bonded for life despite difficult periods and what may seem at times to be impossible to bridge over. This song also has a beautiful tune; you can hear it at the end of the movie Melody.

You once asked me if I'll still love you if you did something I strongly disapproved of (I don't know if you remember; it was a few years back) and I told you that for a parent loving their children is a lot stronger than them. It's not something to evaluate or contemplate or measure; it's primal and it's much stronger than you. I told you that even if you killed someone I'd still loved you, even if I would be horrified and completely disapproving of your actions. We couldn't stop loving you more than we could cut off our left arm because you're a part of us same as our left arm is. And I do believe parents are just as primal to their kids in the same way. I think that's why my father failed his parenthood; because he never felt this way about us, he always thought only about himself, and there's something unnatural, and obviously unsuccessful, about that kind of perception of parents'-children relationship.

We know you are angry, hurt and confused. We are too. I guess we can all think of it as a rite of passage: not only in terms of inevitable suffering that has to do with growing pains in order to cross that part of life to reach a later peace, but also of the actual pain involved in the process. That's probably what the man walking on hot bricks feels: it's worth it in the long run to reach a certain desired nirvana, but while you are in the actually walking, hot bricks hurt like hell!

much love,

Aba and Ima

Teach Your Children (Graham Nash)
You who are on the road
must have a code that you can live by
and so become yourself
because the past is just a goodbye
Teach your children well
their father's hell
will slowly go by
and feed them on your dreams
the one they pick
the one you'll know by.
Don't you ever ask them why
if they told you, you would cry
so just look at them and sigh
and know they love you.
And you, of tender years ,
can't know the fears
that your elders grew by
and so please help them with your youth
they seek the truth
before they can die.
(Can you hear and do you care
and can't you see we must be free
to teach our children what you believe in
make a world that we can believe in)
Teach your parents well
their children's hell
will slowly go by
and feed them on your dreams
the one they pick
the one you'll know by.
Don't you ever ask them why
if they told you, you would cry
so just look at them and sigh
and know they love you.

I sat and stared at the screen, and cried for an hour. I just sat and cried. I didn't do anything else. It was so powerful.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia,

I love that song [Smile]

I'd never really read the lyrics...now I like it a whole lot more.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I know you and your Mom have been having some problems lately. That is such a sweet email! I hope that you two can work through whatever is going on. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother is spending time w/ her parents right now in Vegas. She didn't take her phone. I wish I could call her after reading that. Oh well. She still loves the Mother's Medal of Honor that I bought for her a couple years ago.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread.

I read it right before I went to sleep, and I dreamed about my mom last night. The dream took place over about a day, and she was happy, liked her job, mothered me and my little brother, and making travel plans (she loved traveling). Apparently, we are going to Kenya next week. She looked like a combination of what I remember her looking like and the picture in my room that I have that was taken when she was in college.

It was vivid enough that my brain believed she was alive and around, and had to reconcile that with the existence of my stepmother and my quite-over-her father, so the ending of my dream consisted of me scornfully condemning my dad for divorcing my mom. Heh. I woke up angry, and it took me a minute to remember that she'd died.

Anyway, that was really cool. Thanks. [Smile]

[ April 05, 2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the emotional thing is something even dads don't understand. (Well, maybe some do, but not most.)

The other night I was worrying about my daughter (she was twelve months old). She was sick and she hadn't woken up on time, so I had to check on her to make sure she was still breathing. (Of course...I'm a worrywart. [Smile] ) At first glance, she seemed really cold, which scared me so badly, because she had had a blue episode before that had required hospitalization. I had to wake her up to ease my mind. She was fine, but it left me weeping when I went back into the bedroom with my husband. He couldn't understand why I was so upset over "nothing," since she was fine. I couldn't explain, but I tried. I told him my deep secret; that my worst fear was to see my daughter being carried out of my house in a tiny bag.

He freaked out, which is saying something, for him. He was worried about my mental health. He told me that he wanted me to stop thinking "weird things".

How could I explain that it is a mother's curse to imagine and live out every possible terrible scenario?

I can't watch movies or TV shows where people are hurt or killed, because I can vividly imagine what it would be like if that were my child.

I'm not mentally unhealthy (not in THAT way, at least). I'm just a mom.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Well, maybe some [men] do, but not most.)

I'm sorry, but I think every good man has a very similar reaction. There really is not so much difference between men and women that this isn't true.

I am blessed enough to have been raised by a good father, among good uncles and good grandfathers. I'm married to a good man.

Every single one of them, while usually silent on the subject, is a walking mass of love for their family, and worry that something will happen to them when they can't be there to protect them.

Your man is your partner, your lover, your protector. Don't weaken him by the vile bigotry that mothers are better parents than fathers. We are different parents, and the child is blessed by a good dose of both of us.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also sorry because I responded to that without reading the rest of your post.

But I've also read other things you've said about your relationship with your family, the manic cleaning and the slob but play with kids cycles and it seemed to me at the time that he was remarkably patient with you, to deal with that kind of thing.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I never said my husband isn't understanding. He truly is. That was my point. For him to get so confused about that thing in particular showed me that he must have a real road-block there.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to be a lot more surly than my wife at 3 am when one of the kids wakes up. She is always more understanding and soothing. I am invariably more gruff and businesslike trying to get them back in bed. Then I always feel bad later, because I missed out on a potentially tender moment.

However, I'm starting to get to where I can't see certain images or hear certain things without getting pretty worked up. Pictures of poor, mistreated, starving kids and stories of parental abuse and neglect, and even of fathers leaving the family, are increasingly hard to take. It's so easy to imagine my own dear children in those situations. No matter what their race or culture, little children everywhere are starting to closely resemble my own. I see my own children's faces in them, and it makes my heart ache to see them suffer.

Also, I have moments when the thought of my children growing up and eventually leaving the house just makes me so sad. My time with them when they're young is so fleeting. I just want to freeze time for a while so I can enjoy these moments longer. Someday they're going to have lots of friends, interests outside the home, and finally complete independence from us. Right now they're all ours, and while they can be a handful, I just love that.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.