FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bonus!

Author Topic: Bonus!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I just found a copy of Lost Boys at a used bookstore during my lunch time walk downtown. I go there often, so he must have just gotten it in.

That nearly completes my collection. It was definately a glaring omission in my rack of OSC books at home...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
coolness I still haven't read lost boys...

aj

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
AJ,

Send me your address and I'll mail it to you. You just have to promise to send it back.

[ June 26, 2004, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Boon,

Thank you but no thank you, I'm on a voluntary OSC rationing program. I only allow myself to read a previously unread OSC book at very lengthy intervals. I know he will likely pass on before I do, and I still want to have unread gems of his to discover.

The latest I read was Wyrms. I have his autographed ships of earth series sitting on my bookshelf, and I'm wating for a rainy day to read it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know he will likely pass on before I do, and I still want to have unread gems of his to discover.

Holy crap! Seriously? What happens if you die in a car wreck next week? Sure, statistically, you'll probably outlive him, but do you really want to take the chance and die without reading all the novels? Such. . . optimism is unfamiliar to me. Tempting fate into killing you, just to prove a point and all. Gutsy, if you ask me.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have them all......
?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Boon,

Thank you but no thank you, I'm on a voluntary OSC rationing program. I only allow myself to read a previously unread OSC book at very lengthy intervals. I know he will likely pass on before I do, and I still want to have unread gems of his to discover.

The latest I read was Wyrms. I have his autographed ships of earth series sitting on my bookshelf, and I'm wating for a rainy day to read it.

AJ

Wow... I say just go for it, read up, and enjoy. I mean, c'mon, OSC is a great author and all, but you can always re-read his books, and there are other very worthy novelists out there (as I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you). *grin*
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, looking at his library, I find I am full of crap. I don't have Robota and I don't even know what that is. I also don't have An Open Book. Has anyone read either of these?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a signed copy of An Open Book from this very website - and I've read it.

Still on the lookout for Lost Boys though - maybe I'll visit my second hand bookshop today and see if the luck rubs off.

I did find A Planet called Treason there a while ago - so you never know, it could happen again.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
But who has a copy of OSC's book on Danny Ainge? [Cool]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Who really wants it?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who really wants it?
That's a good, good question. [Smile]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, I know OSC hates sports and so why would his book on Danny Ainge be very rewarding? Then again, he also hated Moozh. Hey, maybe Moozh is based on Danny Ainge.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

At the same time that I got Lost Boys I also bought a hardback copy of Pastwatch, which is one of OSC's I've never read. Do most of you like it?

I'm still working on the former, however. I want to read it first.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I liked Pastwatch pretty well.

It turns out I also don't have Ender's Game. Isn't that sad? I have had two copies that I have lent out and I've never gotten either back. But at least two people out there have been introduced to the wonders of OSC. It's kinda like the Gideon Bibles in the hotels. Stealing is bad, but if you're going to steal something, at least it's a Bible. [Big Grin]

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought FIVE copies of Ender's Game, and still don't have one I've managed to keep.

Lost Boys is the hardest of his book for me to read. Has anyone else read the original short story version ( I read it in some "year's best" anthology")? Very creepy.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I have read the short-story version (in Maps in a Mirror) of Lost Boys so I suppose it will be somewhat of a spoiler as I go through the full novel. But I'll read it anyway.

Farmgirl

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same boat. But that short story sure freaked me out.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*grin* well I'm wierd. For some reason I viewed it as an act of pessimism or self-denial. Since I *want* to read them. On the other hand I want to own them not check them out from the library, so maybe it is just an elaborate mental ruse on my part to keep myself from going broke. Though I think it was Kat that felt the same way.

AJ

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah AJ, I should start something like that. I just devoured the Homecoming series in a week, right along with Treasure Box.

Now I really can't think of anything of his that I haven't read, besides some articles and his poetry book. And, I'm also broke.

I would LOVE to find a copy of Treason somewhere though. That would be very nice to have....

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Psssst Narnia look

[ April 06, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, Pastwatch is my favorite of OSC's sci-fi books, though its kind of hard to compare one book to another. Don't put off reading it. It's worth your time.

FYI, Enchantment is my favorite of OSC's non sci-fi books.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks for the recommed, Brian. Maybe I should have read it first....

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.