FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Geek Hierarchy

Author Topic: The Official Geek Hierarchy
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Find your geek niche here.

It's almost too accurate to be funny.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hit the nail on the head.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That's too cool. [Cool]

Well... out of nine or so tiers, I'm happy to say I'm holding steady in tier 2 and 3.... SOMEtimes dipping to #4. [Smile] Whooo hooo RenFest!

[ April 06, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I only made it to Trekkie because I'm NONE of those other things on level two. So I'm not as geeky as I thought! Who knew? [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a live-action roleplaying gamers? I think mmorpgers should be there.

I think the lowest I go down to is roleplaying gamer (If that means games like final fantasy, if it means d&d, then i'm not one.)

[ April 06, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
LARP is where people dress up as their characters and act it all out. Be afraid. Be *very* afraid.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually pretty fun...

<looks around furtively and slinks back to the fog from whence he came>

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Ha TAK, what do YOU dress up as??? Come on, we want some pictures.
[Smile]

But then I guess Wenchcon was a form of LARP, right? [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm... Society for Creative Anachronisms.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't dressed up in a while...

When I do again it will probably be as a pet fictional character of mine at a local SCA event...

Been thinking about getting involved in that for ages, but too much has been happening...

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a Furry? Or is the singular Furrie? I started to write a Voyager fan fic once.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't want to know.

[Angst]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I started on a Chrono Trigger fanfic once. It was quite teh awesome.

I'm not a geek by the way. I'm not!

Edit: Oh, and I was 13 at the time.

[ April 06, 2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<sigh> Final Fantasy is not a role playing game.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

why then is it called an rpg(role playing game)?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is a Furry? Or is the singular Furrie? I started to write a Voyager fan fic once.
Pooka, I honestly doubt you have anything to worry about in your fanfic.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
LARPing is fun. (though I haven't done it in years)

Furries frighten me.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm honsetly sad that T_Smith knows.

pook, don't google it. E-mail someone.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Furries [Monkeys] [ROFL] One of the only MTV specials I can remember sitting through, mostly in disbelief.

And I'm ever so glad that as I get older, I'm climbing up this flow chart instead of sliding down to ultimate geekdom.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

So no one's going to explain the furries?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Google will provide complete enlightenment, but in a nutshell: people who are obsessed with animal characters (from cartoons or whatever) to the point of having sex with someone while dressed in a furry costume.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Good God. And you wanted me to look that up?
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! Only went down to the Role Playing Games. I play Diablo II every now and then. I don't consider myself as a trekkie. I like the shows, but I don't get too involved with it all. Just an episode here and there.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

There are two kinds of furries, one is simply a creature with characteristics of both animal and human, bugs bunny is an example.

Then there are the people who dress up in furrie costumes and have sex.

Book
Member # 5500

I find it profoundly disturbing that there are enough of these people to warrant having a distinct name to call them by.
MEC
Member # 2968

It's not like they came up with the name, they just adopted it from the first definition.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:
I'm honsetly sad that T_Smith knows.

It was an interesting chat session where I learned about it. No worries, Kat.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So then what is the difference between furries and erotic furries?

I'm one tier above furries. I won't tell you which weird category I fit into. [Razz]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do published scientists go in this heirarchy? What about engineers? Engineering Students? Engineering Professors? People who wear white socks with dark suits?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

::shrug:: Just clump them with the furries.
MEC
Member # 2968

PSI-furries, in the sense on that chart, would mean either people who like furries(ie. when they're playing d&d or an mmorpg, not bugs bunny) or who like/have to dress up in a costume like a furrie(have to meaning it being for a job).

erotic furries(also known as furverts) like to see furries have sex, or dress up as furries and have sex.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"::shrug:: Just clump them with the furries."

I am laughing very, very hard, and my kids just asked what was so funny, and I said, "Oh, nothing."

Rabbit, I think you are in trouble, what with your screen name and all. Did T hit the nail on the head?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Dan_Raven do an Easter Bunny gig? I knew that "Cats" musical was trouble. Does being overly attracted to Wolverine count? P.S. Has anyone noticed that Hobbes GrenMe descriptor is "smirky ocelet"?

[ April 08, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an exact category, but I think a major in RS and a minor in a dead language, a shelf full of fantasy and mythology books, a compulsion to go to the local Faire every year even though I could almost do the performances myself, and an intent to join the SCA when I get some time and money put me in the Ren Faire/SCA category.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I found this article describing some geeks.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

::laughs::

Live Action RPG's topped that list. Hhehe

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't been keeping up with this thread.

Ick. Now I understand why y'all think Furries are so gross. I think you are confusing Furries with Erotic Furries (which, you will notice, have a place on the heirarchy).

Furries are just people who think anthropomorphized animals are cool or fun. I drew a lot growing up. But for the longest time I hated drawing people. I loved to draw cartoonish animals. I would spend hours upon hours making up new creatures or pouring over the D&D Monster Manual. When I drew the members of my family or friends or such, I drew them as animals, whether known or mythological--anthropomorphized animals. I discovered "Furries" on the web a few years back when I was looking at artwork and thought, "That looks just like the stuff I always used to draw!!"

If you put sex into it, then and only then do you get Erotic Furries. There are plenty of people who draw anthropomorphized animals that exude sexuality. While a part of me can understand the appeal, and I can see that most of the decent "Furry" artists out there do get into Erotic Furryism, I don't get into that sort of thing myself.

Example of Furry artwork

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where do published scientists go in this heirarchy? What about engineers? Engineering Students? Engineering Professors? People who wear white socks with dark suits?
Those are nerds, not geeks. Some of use are special enough to be both. [Big Grin]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Lightning bolt! Lighting bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another group of nerds. I know too many people who fall in this category though...I mean who actually know all the names...of everything about LOTR.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*excuese me* That's geeky, not nerdy.
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you're right. I meant to write geeky, but class was started, I was typing quickly and I had to go teach. Sorry.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes. I'm farther down that list than I thought I'd be. [Angst]

I'm an RPGer.
I *was* a 13 year old gamer.
And the only reason I haven't bought a sword yet is because they're too expensive. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not 13 anymore I don't think it still counts. No worries on that one.

Does my Natalie artwork count as Altering Scans of Models and Making Them Look Like Super Heroes? Otherwise, my lowest may also be Trekkies. Though, I'm pretty sure Bill's broad sword is a replica of something. *snickers*

*is quite happy to have missed out on the furry chat*

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.