FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sis. Hinckley Died...

Author Topic: Sis. Hinckley Died...
Professor Tor Coolguy
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Professor Tor Coolguy   Email Professor Tor Coolguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard it...
Posts: 28 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Where did you hear it?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
another message board.

Sorry, I just got the link: here

added: btw, I'm PTC...

[ April 06, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on the news, which is weird because I only watch the news every three or four months.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is that?
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The president of the LDS church's wife. She was 92. They'd been married for sixty-seven years. He mentioned she was sick on Sunday at the final session of conference.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think the link explains it pretty well. But she was the wife of the President of our church, and on Sunday he mentioned that she had collapsed recently. Her spring had come unwound and they didn't know how to wind it back up. I guess she was born the same year as my Grandma, 1911
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey maui babe!
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Admiral Ender
Member # 6414

- posted      Profile for Admiral Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I'm so sad for Pres. Hinckley. He seemed so down at conference. [Cry]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Admiral Ender
Member # 6414

- posted      Profile for Admiral Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
he did didnt he, i didnt relize it was that serious when he mentioned she fainted
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of related interest, is it possible for a woman to be president of the LDS church? Though I'd hazard a guess that it's likely impossible, are there actual laws against it?
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Women aren't given the priesthood, so therefore it is impossible.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
The women do not hold the priesthood and cannot be the President of the church.

I am so sad. She was so cool. An absolutely awesome lady.

This makes me sad [Frown] [Frown]

[ April 06, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Keep checking the link for more information. It has been updated twice since I posted it orginally.

FWIW

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I talked about Sis. Hinckley a bit in the conference thread. She was such a cool lady, and President Hinckley always seems to gush about her every chance he gets.

Quote from President Hinckley at last year's Relief Society broadcast:

quote:
My children are now all grown. Some are in their 60s. But when they call and I answer the phone, they say, “How are you?” And before I can answer, they ask, “Is Mother there?”

Now to you dear grandmothers, you older widows, and older lonely women. How beautiful you are. I look upon my dear wife, soon to be 92 years of age. Her hair is white; her frame is stooped.

I take one of her hands in mine and look at it. Once it was so beautiful, the flesh firm and clear. Now it is wrinkled and a little bony and not very strong. But it speaks of love and constancy and faith, of hard work through the years. Her memory is not what it once was. She can remember things that happened half a century ago but may not remember what happened half an hour ago. I am like that, too.

But I am so grateful for her. For 66 years we have walked together, hand in hand, with love and encouragement, with appreciation and respect. It cannot be very long before one of us will step through the veil. I hope the other will follow soon. I just would not know how to get along without her, even on the other side, and I would hope that she would not know how to get along without me.

[Frown]

[ April 06, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad - but it is really nice to hear of such a long and lovely marriage and shared life.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
How sad. Well, he said she was ill, and he didn't know how long she'd last. One of his wishes was that if one of them went, the other would follow soon after, so that they would not be separated long. [Frown]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] Does that mean he's going soon? I don't want to lose President Hinkley...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not be surprised.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Want to and do are not always the same. Though my culural lore is that widows last longer than widowers.

P.s. Daedalus, I think the more interesting question is whether a single man could ever be president of the church. Most likely not, since they seem to take the scripture that a bishop must be a husband pretty seriously.

[ April 06, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

peterh
Member # 5208

Thanks SarMup for posting that.

It makes me want to cry, but I appreciate it still.

[Cry]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* She was absolutely the cutest lady. Such a sweet smile too.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.