FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Could this be Lime Disease?

Author Topic: Could this be Lime Disease?
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at my arm right now and there's this thing that kind of looks like a bullseye. There's a pink dot in the middle and it's clear (like my regular skin) for about half a centimeter and then there's this large pink ring around it.

What I thought was a mosquito bite appeared there a couple of days ago and I started scratching it. Just yesterday, it turned ring-like. At first I thought it was a ring worm but looking at the pictures it didn't exactly look like it- it wasn't dry or anything and it did not spread.

It kind of looks like this(watch out, it's a pretty icky picture) but the color isn't quite as dark and it doesn't yet look as bad as that. The pinkish part is about two inches and it's near my elbow.

The thing is, my parents think I'm over reacting. They keep telling me that it's just a mosquito bite and that was what I initially thought too but- doesn't a mosquito bite have at least a tiny bump? Mine when I thought it was a mosquito bite had a bump, but now it's just like a rash, with no bump in sight. It's itchy too.

My problem is that I am afraid I am overreacting. Whenever I try to suggest to my parents that it could be anything other than a mosquito bite they get mad at me. I want to go to a doctor but I can't do so until next week. My insurance doctor is not free until then. I could go to another doctor but I don't want to waste my parents money if this turns out to be a stupid mosquito bite.

My question is:
-Could this just be a mosquito bite?
-Is it necessary for a M. bite to have a bump?
-Is there any other type of rashes that have a sort of bullseye look to it?
-If this is lime disease is it absolutely urgent that I go to the doctor now or is it okay to wait another week?

Okay, thanks in advance. [Smile]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a spider bite.

If it gets worse at all, I'd have it checked out, but then again, I was the child who read the self-diagnosis charts and freaked myself out all the time.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was a spider bite too.

I'm no doctor though [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be bubonic plague.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

Annie: Heh, I'm the same way. That's why I am a bit hesitant to jump to conclusions. One time, after scanning the net, I had somehow convinced myself that I contracted scabies. I was itchy all over.

I went to the doctor the next day and it turned out that I just had an allergic reaction to an air-freshener. They gave me a shot and soon I was good as new. [Big Grin]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If it were lyme disease, wouldn't you have a tick burrowing into your skin or something?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you live? Is it an area with the brown recluse spider?

If you DO live in that area, and you HAVE a spiderbite with a distinct bullseye pattern...

Not good. At all.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the doctor and get it checked. Nothing to fool around with.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had Lyme disease and the bullseye rash I got didn't itch. Where do you live and are lyme disease carrying tics common in the area? Have you been anywhere where think you might have gotten a tic? Tic?

A Tic has to be in for about 24 hours before it can transmit lyme disease. It would be very unusual for a tic to dig in for a couple of days and then wonder off on its own without you noticing so if you never found a tic, you are very unlikely to have lyme disease. The blood test for lyme disease won't register until 6 weeks after you get the rash so don't bother.A spider bite seems far more probable.

Since you can't go to a doctor right away, draw a line around the borders with a permanant ink sharpie. That way you have a clear indication of whether it is getting bigger or not. If if keeps getting bigger, see the doctor. If it doesn't and no other symptoms develop, don't worry about it.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

The only thing different lately that I can think about is that my heart has been beating irregularly- every so often it would beat strangely. It never happened before and only begun happening last Thursday. I just attributed this to my heart murmur. I had an operation for it when I was a baby but I think I still have a little of it left. I am suppose to have a check-up with my heart doctor every three years but I have not went since I was twelve.

Could this be a symptom?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The irregular heart beat would not be a symptom of stage 1 lyme disease. Irregular heart beats are actually quite normal and probably nothing to be worried about. Its strange but true that unhealthy hearts beat far more regularly than healthy hearts.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

I agree with you Rabbit (Jon Boy as well), if a tick had bitten me, I am positive that I would have noticed. After all, my arm is just right there, in front of me, all day long.

I'm not quite certain if it's a spider bite either. Wouldn't I have shown some real symptoms already since I was bitten a couple of days ago?

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/08/05/hlsa0805.htm
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

Thanks Mackillian, that was an interesting article.

I know I have gotten bitten by something. Just what exactly it is, remains a mystery. I hesitate to say that it was a mosquito but only because it doesn't have that characteristic bump that I usually associate a M. bite with. It's as flat as a rash would be.

If I had been bitten by a Brown Recluse, I think I would have developed some pain. I don't feel any pain right now, nor before, all I felt was an irritating itch. On top of that, 80% of a Brown Recluse cases are misdiagnosed so if I actually have it then chances of my doctor actually diagnosing it correctly are evidently against me. Heh.

Edited to add: Ah, well. I am going to the doctor next week. I'm just glad it's not lime disease and if it is a spider bite then I will make sure to go to the doctor quickly as soon as a symptom pops up. If it is just a mosquito bite then, feh- it will go away eventually. *grin* Thanks for all the advise everyone, you've all been a great help. [Smile]

[ April 07, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Hi ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely not Lyme Disease. The bullseye is more of a ring, and does not necessarily show up right away. You don't necessarily have to see a tick, either, to be bitten by one. They are tiny. The symptoms are more like cold symptoms at first.

Still, check it out!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.