FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Holy Men

Author Topic: American Holy Men
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
How many do we have?

For all of our Churches, how many great men do we have walking amongst us?

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of great men walking around, by my last count.

Edited to add:
And women for that matter.

[ April 07, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It is my belief that there are no men and women-- but we are surrounded by gods and goddesses.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't go wrong with Jerry Seinfeld.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I first read that as Jerry Springer. [Angst]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is my belief that there are no men and women-- but we are surrounded by gods and goddesses.
You haven't read American Gods by chance?

[ April 07, 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
The book? Pretty good stuff. Neil Gaiman's great.

[ April 07, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have personally met some of Hatrack's goddesses, and perhaps one of two of the gods.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For all of our Churches, how many great men do we have walking amongst us?
Let me take a stab...

2,361?

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to give this thread a palm reading:

Hmmm... seems you've got a short life line, but you should be vigours while it lasts. I predict a sudden out-pouring of words in which the specific word "define" plays a significant role. I suggest a sturdy dose of intial parameters and make sure to eat all your vegetables.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let me take a stab...

2,361?

Nope

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hopi Nation in Arizona has several.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
We have funnier people in america than in Iraq.

Maybe we should just feed everyone comedy!

Comedy, Guns and Oil!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

How many people will be murdered in Iraq tomorrow?

Let me take a stab at it...

6. (But that's not counting anyone who isn't an american, because we only count them as 4/5ths human and I'm bad with fractions)

How many people will be murdered in Houston, Texas tomorrow? Let me take a stab at it.

2. It'll be a semi-non violent day here.

skillery
Member # 6209

So you're saying that having a holy man in every mosque isn't necessarily a good thing?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't take too many stabs at dead people Thor, the police might get the wrong idea. [Angst]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I'm saying that if you judge the Holy Men by the fruit of thier works, we do not have an Orchard of Holy Men, I'm not even sure we've got a barrell of wise men.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Gottmordor: Yes, I've read American Gods. I enjoyed Neverwhere much more

I'm not sure what the war in Iraq has to do with the lack of holy men in the US, SBS.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Which do you mean? Holy men, great men or wise men?
I don't think I would even begin to know where to classify holy men in this day and age, and while there have been a few historically great men, there certainly aren't multitudes in our midst, but which of the many apathetic causes would they take up?

Also, history tends to favor great men who are fairly unrecognized in their time.

Wise men? None.

Now, this isn't to say that there aren't many people out in the world making a difference, and these people are to be commended because their goals are their own passions and they make a difference every day to a few people. Everyone can do something to make the world just a little bit brighter despite our politics.

Edit: yes, I didn't get any sleep last night and so thus the brain wanders. [Smile]

[ April 08, 2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Like, maybe... Billy Graham?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

"I'm not sure what the war in Iraq has to do with the lack of holy men in the US, SBS."

Well... our government,our corporations and our churches have melded into one entity, so instead of peace and prosperity, we get a situation in Iraq that is "About defending our country from the immininent threat of Iraqi terrorism.", "Weapons of mass destruction", "Giving the Iraqi's democracy" and "Liberating them"........

"This war has nothing to do with Oil."

This country has no standing Holy Men, Only Ceo's and Lawyers profiting greatly from some bogus stand point of "social morality" and "save the children."

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this country's Holy Men (and Women) will never be recognized, because they live close to their beliefs. The kinds of beliefs that make people holy are not likely to gain them media popularity and attention in a world where money is so important. People would rather watch rich Hollywood stars make fools of themselves than see how humble honest folk try to make the world a better place to live.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Farmgirl on this one, Billy Graham is a great start. Charles Stanley would be another good one.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Ok. So what are we at?

Millions of churches. Trillions of religious dollars and possibly one or two Holy Men?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Bob_Scopatz.

and Tom Davidson

And Dan Raven

and Papa Moose

and...

The true "holy men" are quietly doing meaningful things with their lives. They aren't trumpeting nonsense from the parapets.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Thor:
Trillions of religious dollars and possibly one or two Holy Men?

Take their money away and then we'll see how holy they are.
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Thor:
...our government,our corporations and our churches have melded into one entity...

...since the days of Charlemagne, at least. Perhaps even earlier: [Evil] .

Now that you know the rules of the world that you live in, you can either figure out how to fulfill your life's mission within the given parameters or you can move to Oraibi, AZ and load up on peyote.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.