FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Beer or Root Beer

Author Topic: Beer or Root Beer
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Rough night?

The little boy with the popsicle is the best part.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
root.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely remember a tale of a church member objecting to root beer because "it is the very root of beer".
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Root beer!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot beer
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny Root Beer story:

My mother's mother always made homemade root beer for July 4 or other summer family things. After she got her own bottler she would collect used beer bottles from the side of the road, clean them, bottle them with root beer, and stick them under the porch for about two days before the carbonation built up (this recipe used yeast to create the carbonation). My mom loved this root beer, and would tell stories from her childhood of how she'd sneak one before they were officially ready because it really was the best root beer in the entire world.

Fast forward to shortly after my mom and dad got married...they visit my mom's family and Grandma's famous root beer abounds. My dad is listening to Grandma tell how she makes the stuff, when all the sudden my dad feels like saying:

"You do know that when you add yeast to sugar, you get alcohol, don't you?"

*side note: Dad is a Mormon convert, and his dad was a heavy drinker. Mom's family had been true blue for the past few generations*

Of course Grandma and Grandpa had no clue that they were making alcohol under their porch, and when Dad took one sip of the stuff, he promptly said, "yeah, that tastes like alcohol".

Grandpa thought: "Well, I suppose he'd know what alcohol tastes like".

The famous root beer was never made again. It's still a hot spot between Mom and Dad, some thirty years later. Mom insists that the bottles would have cracked from pressure long before enough alcohol built up to actually make anyone tipsy, and how dare Dad ruin that wonderful tradition her family had. Dad just keeps on talking about the huge head on his bottle of root beer.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
*Giggles at story above* I can't help it.

My Gandfather makes homemade Sasparilla. Of course he also makes homemade beer and wine. Good stuff all of it. Sasparilla is way better than root beer.

Edited to answer thread: Dark Beer

[ April 08, 2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
For both the video & SarcasticMuppet's story:
[ROFL]

My dad used to make homemade rootbeer mmm now that's a tasty fella.

[ April 08, 2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the quality of the beer. If it is good beer then beer, if it is cheap beer then root beer.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
If I am not buying, then I don't care what kind of beer it is.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Never had beer, though I don't care for the smell of it. Also, I am underaged, so it is probably good that I haven't had beer. I also cannot stand root beer.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
SM -- that story's so sad, it makes me want to cry.

But I am laughing all the same. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*really wants to make homemade rootbeer now* [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had beer because of some hick decided not to let me 'til I'm 21.

It has to be the right kind of root beer. I hate generic root beers; they all taste like soap.

[ April 08, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Virgil's makes an AWESOME micro root beer. I also like Thomas Kemper Root beer, especially with two big scoops o' Tillamook Vanilla Bean. Yummmy.

I'm also partial to a really good IPA, like Pike or Elysian.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
So where'd the yeast come from?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
r00t beer.

I'm not really a fan of Virgil's -- it has an interesting flavor, but it's not really root beer. Thomas Kemper's is good, but the best that I've had is Henry Weinhard's. That stuff has a head.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to give Henry's a try.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Henry's is good. Stewart's is the best, imo.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Butterbeer.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
he he he he he he he [ROFL]

love the video and sarcastic muppets story was brilliant

personally both are yucky - root beer tastes like nasty medicine given me as a child

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
sam addams, my favorite drink, right after dr. pepper [Big Grin]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree mike. Henry's root beer is better, but Thomas Kempers Cream Soda is the beverage of the gods. If it's not in heaven, I don't wanna go.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Barq's is my favorite, then stewerts.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.