FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you celebrate Easter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you celebrate Easter?
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...now that Easter is approaching, I would like to know how do you celebrate it in America (and other countries too, of course). Here in Brazil we exchange chocolat gifts (usually large chocolat-made eggs. The one I bought for my girlfriend weighs 1,20 lb (0.53 kilos), gather the whole family to a nice lunch (where we usually eat codfish dishes) and, by 18:00 we go to mass (even me. I'm not a catholic, but mom would sure talk a lot if I did not went to mass once a year).

How do you celebrate Easter?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The traditional way:

Virgin sacrifice, bathe in blood, ask the powers of darkness for one more year of their favor.

The usual stuff. That Brazilian version seems really weird. Chocolate? Eggs? What the heck kind of Easter is that?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Nossa, que saudades dos Ovos de Pascoa!! They were so very much chocolate!!! I loved the way they displayed them from the ceiling of the grocery stores, so there was this low, overhanging layer of colorful chocolate eggs as you shopped. [Smile]

edit: cause I spell like crap

[ April 09, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Easter Sunrise Service, followed by breakfast at church. Then Sunday School and “regular” church service, followed by Easter Dinner at home with family and friends.

When I was little we also had an egg hunt, sometimes before church, sometimes after. My parents hid decorated eggs and candy in the living room for us to search for.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, we used to celebrate like this here in Mordor, but all those sacrifices were becoming so...boring...so we throwed the eggs and chocolate in. ;-)

Narnia, did you enjoy easter when you were here? They still display easter eggs like that, did you know? People buy them like if there were no tomorrow! I'm lucky I bough mines earlier this year!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in charge of Easter preparations this year, because my wife and kids are out of town and won't get back until the night before. I'm going to have baskets with a little fake grass, and a few (very few) sweet treats inside. My grandmother makes homemade chocolates every Easter and Christmas, so we'll probably have those, too. We usually color boiled eggs the day before Easter, but I think my kids will be doing that with their grandparents and bringing them home, so I won't have to do it. Last year we had a small egg hunt in our backyard, but I don't know if we'll do that this year.

One thing my parents did, and I have adopted, is to include at least one new book in the Easter basket. I remember getting my copy of Robinson Crusoe that way.

As kids, we used to get new church clothes for Easter, but my family doesn't do that now. We do go to church, of course, but we would do that anyway. And I should probably make a nice dinner, maybe a turkey breast.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a church in Pennsylvania has developed an interesting way to celebrate Easter.

(shameless plug for another thread)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Morning, the easter bunny comes and leaves little paper footprints leading outside to the garden where by the time I get out of bed, colourful eggs can be seen. However, breakfast comes first, and for breakfast we have boiled eggs that are decorated by us with pencil crayons at the table however we want, but usually as faces.

After breakfast there is the egg hunt, a roast dinner, and more chocolate eggs.

[Big Grin] [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Friday we find a "willing" volunteer to be beaten and crucified.

Saturday we prepare the chicken's feet and the goat and chant some voodoo mantras while drinking his blood and chowing down on choice bits of flesh we cut from his body. (We'd do it Thursday night but he's not dead at that point)

Sunday at dawn the zombie (what's left of him) rises from his grave.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
A tradition born out of a practical joke my friend and I pulled when I was 13, we dress up like ducks, chickens or rabbits. Usually just for dinner. One year a wolf came to the table too.

That tradition, however, proved to be too much work. So we've made hats some years to wear to Easter dinner. This year I will make challah bread as my great effort. That has nothing to do with hats or dressing up like a chicken, but it tastes a lot better.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, last year I tried to remember to say "thank you" to everyone who wished me a happy Easter. Then I thought, why not join in the merry greeting? Wouldn't you know, the first (and only) person I said it to replied, "I'm Jewish."

This year, I'll trade trying to politely fit in with telling really awful crucifixion jokes. Consider yourselves warned.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!

But, we've all already heard the 'Peter, I can see your house from up here' one.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
depends on whether my tax rebate comes before then.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
We wake up early in the morning on Easter and go to church, we're in charge of the Easter Pancake breakfast each year. So we do that until all the services are over and then we go find baskets.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Have a fabulous dinner with the family, cooked by my mother, after which I eat boxes of Peeps [Big Grin]

hmm, perhaps we need a Peep smilie for the weekend

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Baskets full of stuff the kids don't need, church services, taking tons of pictures, and then dinner with family.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a huge seder, with lots of matzah, and wine, and a TON of food...

Oh, wait. [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, whenever someone was being particularly whiny, we'd say (learning this from a monk, mind you), "Get off the cross, we need the wood for the fire."
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a little kid, my mom would fill about a dozen plastic eggs with candy (rolos, hershey kisses, that sort of thing) and hide them around the house. Then I'd go around finding them and putting them in my plastic pastel basket.

Then I'd eat the candy. Gradually.

Edit: oh. And in my art class, for a few years in a row in middle/high school, we made Ukrainian Easter eggs. They're awesome. I took art classes every saturday for about six years.

[ April 09, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't do all that much for easter growing up other than color eggs, have easter egg hunts, and eat candy. But it was one of my favorite holidays because it was close to my birthday, and I often had an "Easter/Spring" theme to my parties. Sometimes we got "Easter baskets" and sometimes not. My parents never tried to get us to believe in an Easter Bunny or play that up at all.

My parents made a big effort to separate the secular aspects of Easter from the sacred. Because of this, all of the above events took place on Saturday. Sunday was a day for reflection and reverence and we focused on the Christian meaning of Easter only.

Incidentally, if Christmas fell on Sunday we celebrated as usual, we just usually went to church first. We never celebrated Halloween on a Sunday. Also incidentally, while they had a problem with the secular aspects of Easter, they didn't seem to have any problems with the secular aspects of Christmas. Both secular celebrations have their roots in pagan practices.

I will probably continue a similar tradition in our family, simple coloring of eggs and hunts on the day before Easter, but focusing only on the sacred aspects of Easter on Sunday. Also, we seem to have started the tradition of having a big, tasty, glazed ham and having lots of family over. Mmmmmmmm.... [Razz]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
I do absolutely nothing. [Wink]
Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Easter is coming? [Eek!]

Oh, uhhh, I'll be at work, again. As I have for the past 2 weeks every day. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday evening, we paint the eggs. Saturday morning, we bless the food in church. The basket needs to contain: eggs, bread, salt, horse-radish and sausage. We also add sugar lambs and eggs.

The food is part of a holiday breakfast the next day.

And on Monday, the boys are allowed to pour gallons of water on girls. I always get back wet from church. And sometimes, with especially rude kids, I didn't get to church. [Grumble]

[edit] And, of course, there are the gifts. On Sunday morning, when you wake up, they are hidden under your bed.

[ April 09, 2004, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

It seems that big chocolate-made eggs are a brazilian thingh then, isn't it?

The secular aspect of easter over here revolves around chocolate. Ester is a time of the year where people give and receive chocolate. Not other candys. Only chocolate. Veeery weird (but very tasty, nonetheless).

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid our family would have a picnic out in the desert on the Saturday before Easter Sunday. The desert is beautiful and not too hot this time of year. Dad would layout an orienteering course for each of the boys, and we would have to use a compass to find our Easter baskets.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
"And the kids eat the chocolate eggs because the color of the chocolate and the color of the cross... [laughter] Well you ****ing explain it!"
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have a huge seder, with lots of matzah, and wine, and a TON of food...

Oh, wait. [Razz]

Yeah, and I can never eat Easter candy, cause it's not kosher for Passover... [Frown] [Wink]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ela, I have always loved Easter candy (probably because of the proximity of Easter and my birthday). Is Easter candy really not kosher? Or only not kosher at this time of year? Could you buy a stash and eat it in the fall? [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not kosher for Passover; but much of it is kosher. Can't buy it ON Passover, but then again, it often goes on post-Easter-half-off just after.

Yum. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Cool! And the value can't be beat!
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And on Monday, the boys are allowed to pour gallons of water on girls. I always get back wet from church.
I wanna go to Kama's church.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
The last boy who poured water on me? I ran after him and beat him down.

Okay... I did run after him. For a while.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet there's nobody here who's going to celebrate Easter quite the way I'm going to. On Easter Sunday I will sit down with my bishop and tell him that I'm suffering from depression and ask him to help me get help for my problem.

I see this as a the first step down the path to recovery.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell, that sounds like a highly appropriate way to celebrate the Resurrection. Good for you!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

dkw, I thought so. Easter Sunday is a perfect day to take this major step in my life. [Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell: You mean you're going to ask your bishop for another calling?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

skillery [ROFL] No, I'm going to ask him to refer me to counselor, or shrink to help me deal with my depression.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
This year, I'm going to look cute at church and hope someone takes pity on me (I'm guessing there's a good chance I may be invited over for lunch by the couple that looks out for me here.) As for goodies, I have been informed that a package full of them is en route and should hopefully get here by Sunday.

Derrell, I'm glad that you will be getting help. I commend you for your courage.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Derrell, I wish you the best with this and also agree with Dana.
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
My family is a little overboard with Easter, as with other Holidays, I blame my grandma. Usually my parents, siblings and I dye about 3 dozen eggs during the week, we also use crayons to draw pictures and do the shrink wrap stuff. Saturday night we go to grandma and grandpa's with the eggs and have dinner, then with my Aunt, Uncles, and cousins we all sleep in various nooks and crannies where there's a patch of carpet. I should mention I have a fairly small family, 3 brothers, 1 aunt, 2 uncles, and 2 cousins. We wake up in the morning to find baskets with usually a small gift, often a book, but sometimes something else, lots of candy the biggest of which are large chocolate bunnies. Then we have the hunt. There are usually 8-10 dozen dyed eggs (the others dyed by my Grandma and/or my aunt and cousins) hidden on their 5 acre property and in the house. I believe my grandfather wakes up very early to hide them, but to the younger kids it's the Easter bunny. The egg hunt lasts for some time, until all except 4-5 are found and the kids have gone to eat their candy worn out by the hunt, those are the missing easter eggs, sometimes discovered by the dog many months later, apparently the easter bunny is a good hider. Then we sit down to a breakfast of eggs. I help my mom, grandma, and aunt in the kitchen working on dinner which will have ham, lots of deviled eggs, and various other foods. At dinner Grandpa presides, and says a nice long prayer, then the younger kids are fed at their table then the adults are served. Afterwards we all argue over how many eggs we have to take home, then grab the candy and other things we got for Easter and head home. We really don't focus on the spiritual aspect, and Eduardo, I think that in America the large chocolate Easter bunnies are roughly equivalent of your chocolate eggs. The secular version of Easter includes a lot of candy.

Edited to say that this year I will probably go to church then come back to my room to eat candy and maybe read the New Testament on my own, but it's nice to think about what they'll be doing at home.

[ April 09, 2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Audeo ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have a nice honey baked ham with my wife and kids and sit around enjoying a good day off.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
@Ease
Member # 3066

- posted      Profile for @Ease           Edit/Delete Post 
In the old country, we had our own version of the Easter hunt. First, we'd release all these cute little bunnies. When they were well hidden, we'd let the kids go out and hunt them down with their Easter Klingen. Then we'd have a nice supper of KaninchencEintopfgericht.

It was efficient and fun and we liked it that way.

[ April 10, 2004, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: @Ease ]

Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to spend countless hours working the most precise wax pattern on my egg shells, dying, in tedious manner, over and over again. 'Til the depth of the pattern overlay and complexity takes my breath away.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
This just seems to fit.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*GASP!*

bwah-ha-hah-he-he-he!

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
*spews soda on the keyboard*

Great, you know I just got this thing out of the repair place?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Derrell*

I went to my pastor when I needed help and it was the best possible thing to do. He referred me to a counselor who has helped me make real changes, and I will be forever grateful I took that step.

What you're doing takes courage. I commend you, and I'll pray for you.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Belle, thank you. (((Belle))) Starting that thread about depression was the hardest thing I've ever done. While I consider the people of Hatrack to be family, telling all of you that I'm suffering from depression was truly a scary proposition.

[Group Hug] Hatrack [Group Hug]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"And the kids eat the chocolate eggs because the color of the chocolate and the color of the cross... [laughter] Well you ****ing explain it!"
I don't know where that's from, and maybe just because jehovoid posted it, but I laffed.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.