FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » anti-smoking/anti-smokers thread

Author Topic: anti-smoking/anti-smokers thread
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a thread where anyone who hates or has comments that are of an anti-smoking nature. If you want to vent about how much you hate smokers and smoking, and the smell, or having to see smokers, or walk by them as they smoke on their smoke breaks at work. Say it in here.

So please, now that you have this thread, please refrain from making anti-smoking comments in threads where people are discussing or asking legitimate questions about smoking.

[ April 08, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: kinglear ]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you keep your cigarettes away from my gasoline pumps, you can do whatever the heck you want.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the static electricity that makes ME nervous.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to kill yourself, and all that. I'm just a little miffed at the percentage of bar-goers who fall into that category. Smoke adds to the ambience at a New Orleans jazz club, perhaps, but encountering it when in search of simple food and drink is annoying (but not annoying to seek out and patronize smoke-free establishments...yet).
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a discussion board. People are free to voice their opinions in whatever thread they choose. Stop being so childish.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate cigarette companies.

And as personal policy, I never give money to someone asking for money on the street if they're smoking.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you want to vent about how much you hate smokers and smoking...
Hey, kinglear, in our society that is suppposed to be tolerant of others shouldn't we all "love the smoker but hate the smoking?"

I don't care if people smoke, but if they light up in front of me I usually grab a big chaw of Red Man and say:

Some people like to smoke,
and others like to chew,
if you dont blow your smoke on me,
I wont spit on you.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am lucky enough to not encounter tobacco smoke often, but when I do, the smoke really bothers me.

But what I *really* despise is the anti-smoking commercials. The whole "truth" ad campaign just puts my teeth on edge. It almost makes me want to start smoking just to piss those guys off.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
ha! yeah, go ahead and get lung cancer -- that'll show them!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So please, now that you have this thread, please refrain from making anti-smoking comments in threads where people are discussing or asking legitimate questions about smoking.
Yes, but sometimes (often actually), the right answer to a legitimate question about smoking is going to be an anti-smoking response.

[ April 09, 2004, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I smoke.

I like the smell of good tobacco.

Deal.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

You can't eat ambience. Even if it's thick enough to cut with a knife.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauraah
Member # 1930

- posted      Profile for lauraah   Email lauraah         Edit/Delete Post 
Krankykat, that's awesome!!!!!
[ROFL]

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

premise this thread kneads. incredulously compulsively.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Kranky,

kinglear is a smoker. He just started this thread for people who hate smoking/smokers. I guess he wanted a place to talk about the smokes without the clutter of obvious and annoying anti-smoking propaganda.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
And he's been here for five whole minutes! I think that deserves some respect, don't you?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

That, or free use of the communal bidet.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Smokers have to use potty protectors. No exceptions.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess under this rational, only supporters of gay marriage can post in the pro-gay marriage threads and Bush bashing will be banned in any pro-Bush threads.

I can see this really taking off.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Smokers are bad influences on our children. I think they should all be shot publicly.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Rationale?

I would say that people bashing gay marriage should stay out of a thread started by gay people about how much they love their new gay marriage, yes. As to a thread started about whether or not the latest gay marriage decision is a good one, I think that's a place for the gay marriage lovers and haters to knock heads.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pesky missing e. Rationale indeed.

While I agree with your first example, I'm not sure it would happen here. That was what I was trying to get across.

How about if I started a thread about how much I loved Buffy? Some people would come in and denigrate my tv tastes, even though it was a pro- Buffy thread. And I wouldn't want to stop them.

(As an aside - a while back there was a pro-Bush thread that got hijacked into an anti-Bush discussion, while the anti-Bush thread started in response to the first thread got taken over by Bush supporters. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I think it's all about scale. Buffy is a relatively transitory and silly topic of discussion. Smoking, on the other hand, seems to get lots of people in a big huff for no discernable reason. Yeah, it's not the best thing I can do for my body, but niether is eating pop-tarts. I still do that, though.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Feel free to kill yourself, and all that.
I'm sorry, but as the daughter of a woman stupid enough to kill herself by smoking a lot, I can't even agree with that. But I know I'm not objective.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Anna,

did your mom pass her stupidity along to you? how has this manifested itself, if not in your own choice to smoke or not smoke?

fallow

Anna
Member # 2582

I never tried to smoke, and will never. Since her death, I'm quite aggressive with smokers and often feels sorry for that. But honestly... Spend just one day in an hospital in which they treat lung cancer, and then say you know what you're doing. Not before. By some ways, I think my grieving period has been easier than the period in which she was dying. [Frown]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Wait. I guess I killed that thread.
My big mouth... Sorry.

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh . . . how flattering that my little post before going to bed spawned a thread!

Anyway, here is my reply from that thread:

quote:
quote:
Seriously, if you don't like threads about not smoking, don't post in it (there's an antismoking thread for that now).
Who said I don't like the thread?

Guess what: this is a public forum. You can't stop me from expressing my feelings, or force me to confine that expression to a thread you can more easily ignore. So deal. It's not like my expression of disgust can affect your experience of smoking a cigar, or prevent you from doing so. So read it or don't, and get over it. For myself, I like to think of posting of my disgust for cigars as symbolic revenge against the people who light cigars up in public. When someone lights a cigarette up outdoors, you can't smell it unless you're next to them. But a cigar you can smell from fifty feet away. It destroys my enjoyment of food if I'm eating, and it destroys my enjoyment of being outdoors when I'm not. I consider smoking a cigar in public to be an aggressive act. Nasal rape, even. I can't stop people from doing it, though. Just like you can't stop me from posting in this thread.

[Razz]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

quote:
Icarus:

Heh . . . how flattering that my little post before going to bed spawned a thread!

That seems to happen a lot around here, anyways:

You're right, I started this thread in response to two comments that had been made in Phantos 'cigars' thread, namely the first twocomments posted by Fitz and you.

I agree that this is a public forum, and anyone can say anything they feel like. Thats free speech, it lets you place your opinion wherever you feel like putting it.
However, Phanto started that thread with the following:

quote:
Does anyone here know anything about:

A) How they're made?
B) How they're smoked?
C) What kind of smoke do they produce?
D) How do you dispose of them?

Thanks!

[And for all the sighers and cynics]
((()))

To me this thread is not about discussing smoking, smokers, smoking laws, lung cancer, bad smells, cigarrette butts, or any other topic. From his post I would assume that Phanto is asking to have some questions answered. I tried to do that.

If I started a thread to ask a question I think I would appreciate it it someone helped answer that question. I'm sure that if you ever asked a question in this forum you would appreciate an answer as well. It is my belief that we should try to help each other out, not just start a diatribe in opposition of something the original poster had mentioned.

If the thread had related to the pros/cons of smoking, or to what people thought about it, or asked for any opinion, I would not have any thoughts against your posts. But Phanto just asked for information about cigars.

So, thats why I started this thread, for those who wish to debate the smoking health/smell/etc topics, and merely ask people to refrain from posting comments against smoking, when someone is merely asking a realistic question.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Did the person who started this thread really attempt to argue there is a shred of legitimacy behind smoking?
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

nope, my main arguement behind this thread is that when someone asks a real question about smoking, I simply feel that its impolite to post comments of an anti-smoking nature when someone just wants some information.
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, we see your true colors! Go to hell you tobacco sympathizer! [Wink]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

<grin> just call me Joe Camel [Wink]

[ April 10, 2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: kinglear ]

angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care if people smoke. As long as they don't do it within 100 feet of me.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

There are no legitimate questions to be discussed about smoking.
Smoking is disgusting.
Smoking kills you.
Smoking kills the people around you.
Smoking kills unborn people inside of you. These are facts.
There is no room for debate, discussion, scintillating conversation, sugar coating, or whining about freedom to choose.
If I was in a restaurant in a table next to yours, and every few moments I threw some Anthrax germs in the air, you'd be upset too.
There is no reason to become a new smoker in 2004 other than weakness and a desire to fit in. Game over.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolerance is a virtue this country seems to be forgetting. Put yourself in the shoes of a wine connoisseur during Prohibition. Listening to Women's Temperance BS all the time would get kind of old.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

"Smoking is stupid."

"No it's not. You're stupid."

"You're stupid."

"No, you're stupid."

Friday night Hatrack. I think we should be posting in my senseless Depeche Mode thread.

fallow
Member # 6268

ralphie [Kiss]
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<Donut[AFK]> HEY EURAKARTE
<Donut[AFK]> INSULT
<Eurakarte> RETORT
<Donut[AFK]> COUNTER-RETORT
<Eurakarte> QUESTIONING OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE
<Donut[AFK]> SUGGESTION TO SHUT THE **** UP
<Eurakarte> NOTATION THAT YOU CREATE A VACUUM
<Donut[AFK]> RIPOSTE
<Donut[AFK]> ADDON RIPOSTE
<Eurakarte> COUNTER-RIPOSTE
<Donut[AFK]> COUNTER-COUNTER RIPOSTE
<Eurakarte> NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON
<Miles_Prower> RESPONSE TO RANDOM STATEMENT AND THREAT TO BAN OPPOSING SIDES
<Eurakarte> WORDS OF PRAISE FOR FISHFOOD
<Miles_Prower> ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ACCEPTENCE OF TERMS

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

?!

frameshifter [Kiss]

I like buttons. Snaps are good, too. How 'bout you?

fallow

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
People can do whatever they want, because people like the freedom to choose and face it, people would smoke even if it was illegal everywhere. But I don't like to be around smoke; it makes my eyes water, I can't breath or think properly, and something that impinges on my ability to function worries me. So, obviously, I don't smoke.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

lear, when I start a thread asking a question, I fully expect the thread topic to meander around. If I'm lucky, I also get answers to my question, but I don't waste time being annoyed at people who post with other statements. Attempts to keep a thread on task are futile and silly.

[Razz]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Oh my. The google ads here drive me to a site to buy cigarettes. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I think I don't like these ads, too bad we need it.
lcarus
Member # 4395

You don't get the jackass cigarette dispenser?
kinglear
Member # 6211

quote:
Oh my. The google ads here drive me to a site to buy cigarettes.
I'll commit my own hateful sin here of going off-topic, but if the smoking discussion here sends us to tobacco ads, where do the ads at the bottom of the gay marriage and the porno threads lead!!!
fallow
Member # 6268

*peruses pamphlet on the Future of Smoking*

"Eureka! the non-smelly, anti-tumor ciggie is just on the horizon!"

ecliptically yours,

fallow

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny fallow! Hey, but really. They are looking into nicotineless cigarettes by bioengineering the tabbaco plant.

quote:
I don't care if people smoke. As long as they don't do it within 100 feet of me.

Ok. I'm down with that.

quote:
There is no room for debate
There's always room for J-E-L-L-O.....er debate.

((Teshi)) All you have to is ask. Smokers generally are a fairly polite bunch in person. We are not mind readers though. If I was, would I be in the military right now? Heck no.

odouls268 : Your opinions are a great read. I love it how you write it as if to try and run my life. I think I don't ever want to meet you, as we would probably not get along. I have enough stress to deal with at work. I don't need any more.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.