FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google Ads on Hatrack?

Author Topic: Google Ads on Hatrack?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I am late in noticing this, and maybe this has already been mentioned, and maybe this had been going on a long time and I am just blind [Razz] , but...

Has anyone else noticed the topic-appropriate Google ads at the bottom of the threads? [Eek!]

Examples: LOTR Wenches' Tavern - LOTR jewelry

Is this a girl thing or a Mormonism thing - Mormon singles ads

Greatest SF movies - Movie download sites

Etc.

Is this something new? Did anyone else notice this?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally LOVE the ads. I click on threads I never would have before just to check out what ads they've produced.

My favorite so far is the one for the Ender's Game Study Guide.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if it's just me, but most of the ads have nothing to do with the thread they're in. They seem pretty random to me.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
This is about the tenth "Google Ads on Hatrack?" thread [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ela, for clearing up a misimpression. Until you mentioned Hatrack, I didn't know what Google ads people were refering to, and just assumed they were talking of the results pages from a Google search.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Jitterbug.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I really love the ones at the bottom of the forum page..."Hookstore Hat Racks" and "Cap Racks." [Smile] I bet we're one of the only sites on the web that gets advertisements like these.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

It apears there's no randmoness invovled in the ad selction. That's really interesting, it's the same everytime, so though the algorithim assigning the ads may use fuzzy logic, no random numbers are generatered. This strikes me as a rariety. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh, I take that back, it appears there is some randomness. You just have to do more than refresh to get it to appear.

Hobbes [Smile]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the first 3 threads I looked for ads in seemed to have ads related to the content, but I found it hard to understand the relationship between this thread the these 2 links which appeared at the bottom for me:

Ender's Game Audiobooks
Funny Johnny Depp Movies.

Ender's Game study guide also seems to be a popular one for some of the threads I looked at today.

Anyone been clicking on the ads? [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'm glad the Cards are doing this. At Endercon I talked to Kristine about the costs involved in running this site and even though I couldn't get a dollar amount out of her, I got the idea that they're pretty substantial.

If it helps defray the costs, then all the better.

[ April 15, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to use the hatrack link to Amazon.com to buy stuff if it helps, but I can't tell that it helps hatrack at all unless I buy an OSC book. Once I type in something else, the name "hatrack" disappears from the address and I assume it isn't helping anymore...

Anyone know?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, your answer can be found here.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.