FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Let's see some partisanship, Hatrackers.

Author Topic: Let's see some partisanship, Hatrackers.
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton Takes on AIDS Behind Bush's Back.

I know there's something in this that's worth an argument. Somebody here will provide one, I hope. [Smile]

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Good on them.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Bill.

George: [Taunt]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Clinton sucks.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
HE doesn't...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
mack! [Eek!]

Good on for the twice a day regimen, too. Full compliance is critical -- partial compliance rapidly breeds resistance in retroviruses.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton just has more of a vested interest in combating Aids then Bush. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHH. Too many Clinton Sex jokes, inappropriate for this forum, but still. I must resist. My brain is about to explode. Ahhhha.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I've got a vested interest in combating AIDS, too, although I'm as monogamous (and boring) as can be. It has a lot to do with having cared for children that died of AIDS, and having seen what that birthright did to them.

*poke, poke at Alexa, 'cause I've got trouble joking about this, even if I appreciate the partisanship [Smile]

The first baby I cared for that died from complications of HIV was 6 months old, and her body was so swollen tight that her arms and legs couldn't bend. Her skin was raw from blisters and stretching.

[ April 12, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton gets AIDs behind Bush's back?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

strange..I din't mean to post the joke twice...I will edit one to a "."
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Hatrack is going goofy today, Alexa. I double-posted twice this morning already.)
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexa, you can always delete posts. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Thanks Beverly,

I never noticed that box! [The Wave]

[ April 12, 2004, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's Clinton gets Aides behind Bush's back.
Speaking of which:
I wouldn't describe the National Security Adviser as an "aide". There was an MSN headline that called her that the other day. Now that looked wrong. I didn't mean to imply Clinton "got" Dr. Rice.

[ April 12, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, well if there's no arguing with that link, try THIS one on for size.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Lind sucks.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
One question is whether or not the allegations that the generic drugs are not as effective or may have other problems are true. If true, it's irresponsible to foist them off on third world countries at any price. A good deal on something that doesn't help isn't such a good deal.

Even if they're equally as effective, I can still see a reasonable argument to be made for sourcing from US based companies when spending tax dollars -- like the argument for sourcing military planes from US based companies. Clinton is coming from a position as a private citizen, and so has nothing to lose from making the deal he did -- I say, Good For Him. Bush, however, as the current President, has other considerations he must take into account, like setting a precident for spending tax dollars on drugs for other countries, sourced from employers that potentially take jobs from Americans. That doesn't mean he shouldn't work with the US Pharmaceuticals to solve the problem -- but you have to admit that this may take more time than it would for a private citizen like Bill Clinton to negotiate with foreign pharmaceuticals.

No question, AIDS is a terrible scourge, and America as one of the wealthiest nations in the world SHOULD make all reasonable efforts to assist poor countries combat the disease. No argument there. And I find it honorable and good of former President Clinton to do as he has done. But to compare his actions to those of Bush is not only unfair, it's unrealistic. The constraints of a private citizen are not the same as those of a sitting President.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyhow, this is great. It's wonderful when an individual or a single foundation can make such a huge difference.

Every election year, I believe more and more that the re-election money would be entirely better spent on health and social programs.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No question, AIDS is a terrible scourge
Not only a scourge, but a National Security Threat that far, far outweighs that of Saddam Hussein or al-Qaeda. Frightening, huh? I still don't understand why people don't get this fact. It's not like the current spread of aids hasn't been predicted for over a decade. They even know where the next hot spot will be. If we don't get out priorities straight, we won't be far behind.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/08/60minutes/main610961.shtml

I can't believe that the White House has listed Aids as a national security threat, but is focusing 99% of it's money on places that are already too far gone to help the spread of the disease worldwide. If we get into India now, and wait 10-20 years like we did in Africa, would could actually do some good. But soon it will be too late. I just don't get it.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that there are people dying in Africa now. Concentrating on India at the expense of those in Africa because of the worldwide effects requires letting specific, contemporary victims suffer more than they need to.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem is that there are people dying in Africa now. Concentrating on India at the expense of those in Africa because of the worldwide effects requires letting specific, contemporary victims suffer more than they need to.
I'd be OK with that. India would be a huge problem if it takes root. Preventing a disease is always a better option than medicating an already diseased population.

Returning funding to family planning organizations should be a priority to help combat the spread of STD's.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
You really think that AIDS is a greater National Security threat than terrorism?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in 2001 five times as many Americans died from AIDS as from terrorism. That number could easily jump 10x with some bad luck and poor management.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
AIDS kills way more people than terrorism does. So yes...I think it's a greater threat to the U.S. than terrorism is. Perhaps for those in low-risk categories for contracting HIV, terrorism might be more of a concern, but in terms of deaths both here and worldwide, AIDS leaves terrorism in the dust.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Has anyone ever read The Coming Plague? I hope we never see the day of biological disasters...but I think we will. I don't think Aids will be the scarey one, unless it mutates into an aie-borne virus.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, airborne ebola. *shudders*
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You really think that AIDS is a greater National Security threat than terrorism?
Colin Powell, to the UN, a year after 9/11 said, "AIDS is more devastating than any terrorist attack, any conflict or any weapons of mass destruction. AIDS can destroy countries and destabilize entire regions."
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The common flu kills more people each year than terrorists and dictators combined. If its just lives we want saved, we know where the money should be going.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But how many people are RJR/Nabisco and McDonald's, combined with Network TV killing?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny part (as in scary/funny, not haha funny) is that AIDS is really only a bio-level 2 hazard, but USAMRIID treats it as a Bio-4 (highest level) hazard just to be safe. It is fairly hard to catch, as far as viruses go, and there is no chance of it becoming airborne, thank God. It kills enough as it is...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.