FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Warning to All

Author Topic: Warning to All
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't try low-carb bagels. Bleh.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
But Lender's blueberry bagels with Philadelphia Strawberry cream cheese are very good indeed. Especially toasted.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
while you're at it, be very careful opening chlorine buckets (for your pool) after a rain storm...

water got in mine and released a lot of the chlorine... it was a good hour of following the instructions of poison control till I was able to breathe remotely normally again.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yes, but this wasn't a toasted Lender's bagel. This was a Splenda-flavored monstrosity that distilled all the nastiness of diet cola and put it in a stiff, dry bread.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

That's really the root of why I don't believe in the Atkins diet. Not really because I've made some scientific study of all the facts, but because I really, really like toast. And pasta. And potatoes. Mmmmmmm......
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Luckily, it was only a dollar for a bag of six bagels, so it's not like I've lost a lot of money. Of course, maybe they're just nasty because they're cheap bagels, not because they're sugar-free.

No, on second thought, I'm sure it's because they're sugar-free.

Yank
Member # 2514

Yeah, 'cuz you can get Lender's bagels at Super Wal-Mart for about the same price.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what they put in as a low-carb substitute, but it sucks. It tastes funny. Maybe, if I'd grown up on it, I'd like it. I like Diet Coke and think Coke is nasty. Maybe if I'd grown up eating whatever it is they put in there, I'd think regular bread was nasty. But ugh. Whatever it is, it sucks.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's some abomination called "Splenda."
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*thwap*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Splenda is awesome. A million times better than Equal or Sweet-n-Low or whatever else. And sugar free ice creams, etc. made with it taste pretty good, though the texture is a bit off.

But low-carb breads tend to be a bit stiff, yes - or chewy.

Erm. Yes. Carry on.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

If you're gonna eat it, ya might as well eat the real thing.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Splenda is good, it's a remarkably sugar-like substitute. But sugar's not generally IN bread, and the carbs that are there are replaced with something else... Something ICKY.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, sweetened bagels are in themselves a horrible, horrible abomination.

Any REAL bagel has either onion or garlic in it, and preferably has onion or garlic on top of it as well.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
A real bagel is one you find after traversing the desert for three months with no food and little water. And it's plain.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Splenda is a synthetic sugar substitute that takes advantage of the "handedness" of the sugar molecule. It's almost the identical molecule to sugar, but mirror-imaged, so it supposedly tastes the same but doesn't get broken down during digestion.

Having said that, my mom (who is both a very good cook and also, more recently, doing the low carb thing) has told me that while Splenda is good for sweetening drinks and ice cream, it's not very good for baking.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

A *real* bagel is one you find in Poland.

I'd actually like to try a real Polish bagel sometime. I should put that on my list of life goals.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
They replace the wheat flour with soy "flour". You would never, ever get me on a low carb diet. I adore carbs.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
just so you know, that whole Adkins low carb diet can do really weird things if you stick to it... it can effect mood. Makeing you go from like angry to really ansy. And also, the reason i can make you lose wight, is because it is makeing your body think it is sick. Any way, just some delightfull info..
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The bagel disappeared from Poland at the time of the Shoah/Holocaust. Similarly many other traditional JewishPolish foods.
What is available now are rather pathetic attempts to recreate those products by folks who were totally out of contact with the Jewish community, especially the culinarily important PolishAmerican contingent, during the ColdWar era. Virtually all of those attempts to recreate bagels/etc are relatively recent, by businesses hoping to cash in on the eg American tourists who expect/hope to find the best examples of JewishPolish cooking in the "old homeland".
Unless there has been a dramatic change in the last couple of years, those tourists are most likely to be sadly disappointed at either the quality compared to that readily available in the States, or in the total non-availability of such foods.

Sorry, Lenders doesn't make bagels. It makes a "bagel"ish-looking product. Neither does any other nationally-large "bagel" manufacturer who sells to supermarkets or convenience stores. Basicly, if it comes in a plastic bag, it ain't a bagel.
A real bagel is either homemade (which is more of a hassle than baking bread) or comes from a neighborhood bagel bakery. A bagel is soft for only as long as it is cooling from being cooked, gradually toughens to extremely chewy within a day, and hardens to "Darn, I know that bagel is tasty, but do I really wanna risk my teeth?"* by the end of the second day.

* Generally, the best bagels harden at twice to three times that pace. If ya buy a still-warm bagel the night before for breakfast, ya hafta toast/heat it to soften it up in the morning. Unless you're as much of a bagel hound as me: ie enjoy gnawing through tough bagels, and even occasionally willing to risk your teeth.

[ April 13, 2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well steve switched over to Pepsi one because he's trying to cut calories. I was desperate for caffine tonight and had one, and it wasn't bad at all.

APparently costco has a store brand diet soda that uses splenda. He says that is good too.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.