FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob in Cambridge, MA...Sorry for the short notice, but... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bob in Cambridge, MA...Sorry for the short notice, but...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you beantown folks free on Wednesday evening for dinner?

Yes, this Wednesday?

I get in pretty early...and I found out that the people I'm meeting with don't get until until late...after dinner even.

So, anyone up for a dinner? I can take the train into the City or meet in Cambridge area. Either way.

I'm staying in Kendall Square area...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
What Mack said.(or communicated, through those ill-begotten frownie-smilies)

This is very unfair.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I can go to fencing thursday night! I could go to dinner! *runs in circles* What time? where?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, Mack, now I am mad at you, too.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could go..
What's for dinner?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to have miss fencing...maybe we could meet after your class if it really should be Wednesday?

But if you are free on Wednesday, then just pick a place and a time. I need to get settled in the hotel and work until about 5-ish. Barring any nasty surprises via e-mail or cell phone, I should be ready to meet for dinner any time after 5:00 pm. I may have one meeting Wednesday afternoon that would take me to U-Mass or over by the Park Plaza where the DOT and other agencies are -- nothing is scheduled with that yet...just an opportunity to meet and greet new people at an old client's...

Assuming I leave Kendall area around then, what's the big deal...anywhere in Boston that's near a train stop is easy pickens no? If I'm already downtown more or less, that's fine too.

I know the South End (Italian area) is NOT served by the trains, but I could be talked into taking a cab there if that's where people want to go.

I don't really mind anywhere. Last time I was there I walked over to a great little bistro just across from the medical center. It was way cool.

but I'm always in the mood for Legal Sea Food. I like the one near the Park Plaza Hotel (used to be in the hotel, but they moved a block away). I know there are others, but that's the one I know for sure how to get to.

Suggestions are welcome!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Watch out, Liz, I could stab you with my foil! *Brandish*

(Why aren't you EVER on AIM? [Frown] )

mackillian
Member # 586

I think Paul would have the best knowledge of Boston eateries.

I work in Nashua until 4:30, so I wouldn't be able to leave till then, and it'd take 30-45 min from there to Boston.

And the fencing classes are wed or thurs. I'm in the wed class, but I'm allowed to go thurs if I miss wed.

I think this qualifies as a "special occasion"!

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you can walk to some nice italian restruants from a train stop. Feyd, myr and I went to someplace that was about a 10 min walk and it was good food. I'll ask them where it was because I really don't remember.

You could also do bartley's, if you like burgers. mmm bartley's

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, my husband kept having hissy fits every time AIM came up. i will just reload it. It was also part of my anti-procrastination effort.

(sorry to use this thread for communicarion with Mack, Bob)

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Massimino's Cucina/Italiana

207 Endicott Street, North End, Boston

(I collect business cards ^^)

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Can you go too?!

And BOB. Go look at my damn thread!

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday night I will be at Fenway. Unless it gets rained out.

For boston eateries, north end is best.

Bob, if you're gonna be on the Umass boston campus, you're probably gonna walk from the t stop right by my apartment. BOO that I'll be WORKING in my apartment on very important stuff.

Will be available thursday evening if stuff is happening then. ?

In the cambridge area, at the Charles Hotel in harvard square there's a place called Henrietta's, kinda a bit upscale. Not sure on prices.

Also, at the T stop in porter square, the T stop comes up at a split in the road. If you are facing into the handle of the fork, on your left, more or less directly across the street is a very good indian place, forget what its called, but you can't really miss it if you get off the T.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

paul: --I--
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an insane week at work, but I'm going to see if I can pull it off. The North End is the Italian section, and has good eats (and good pastries too!). I live on the red line, but don't get home until after 6:30 usually (work in the suburbs). Maybe if I miss dinner, we could swing out to a local bar/pub. There one right near my house, right off the red line called the Burren.

*looks*

There's supposed to be a good jazz/blues/bluegrass band there on wednesday.

Keep me informed, and email me Bob if you'd be interested in hanging out some time after dinner.

Have some fun in Boston regardless!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Luckily I'm already scheduled to see my shrink on Thursday morning. Which I suspect I'll need after finally meeting The Bob. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in western Mass, but I'll see what I can do.

I DO have it off, but I have to work early in the morning, and I have to pick my wife up and take her to work (to her second job), so I don't know....it will be tight, as I am 2 hours away, including parking and traffic and all.

Bob, the next time you have a spontanious trip like this, could you please plan it a little better for me? [Evil]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Kwea, you got it.

I'm afraid I'd be pretty useless at a pub since I'm not really going to drink anything.

But music sounds good.

I also can't stay out very late as I have an important meeting the next day and it is LONG (all day).

So, this is more like hoping for a bit of dinner, maybe hang out for an hour or so, then back to bed.

10:00 pm and I turn into a pumpkin.

There are already plans for Thursday night. Originally I thought there were plans for Wednesday night as well, but then I found out that they all can't get in until later in the evening (after 10:00 pm). So, I'm free Wednesday evening only.

Sorry.

e-mail me at:

bscopatz@data-nexus.com, okay? I won't be able to get back to you until this evening when I check the 'rack again.

So I'll let you know how to reach me later tonight via e-mail.

This will not be my only Boston trip. I'm waiting to hear on other ones, so if you can't make it this time...we'll have another shot later in the year. I think.

MMMmmmmm Indian food....

MMMmmmm Italian food....

MMmmmmmm food!....

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well Bob, I'll let it slide this time....

I am trying to convince my wife (JenniK) that I should be allowed to go by myself, since she is working, but I don't think it's going well. I think I'll buy her some Godiva Hot Chocolate, to make her feel better. Normally I wouldn't nedd her "permission", but we only have one car between the two of us, so schelualing is very important.....

I'll check out the trains and the buses in, but I'd have to be home by 11:00 anyways, which means leaving around 9 or 9:30.

I don't drink either Bob, at least not usually. I don't completely abstain, but I drink so infrequently, even at my favorite pool place, that I have problems ordering drinks when I do want one. I had a bartender refuse to serve me there, "for my own good" as he put it. He didn't want me to lose my "coin", and when I told him I was confused, he said "You know, the one year sober coin...I know you've been sober at least that long, I've never seen you drink and I've been here for almost two years now..."

So I told him to shut up and pour me a kamakazi AND a beer... [Evil]

So we could go to the bar, listen to the music, and not drink together!

I'll e-mail you later tonight and tell you if it's a go for me.

Hope to see you all there!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda figured you didn't drink, but it's as much for the atmosphere as for anything else. The Burren is an Irish pub type place, with waitresses that have actual Irish accents!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I don't drink either.

Let's hit up the Irish place! [Smile]

And I can't stay out too late either.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I can drive up and come. I might bring Beca along with me. I'm trying to convince her.

Where, when?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

YEAY! Can you bring Kristy, too?
Suneun
Member # 3247

If she can meet me in Providence, I'd surely drive her.

POKE!!!!

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

BTW, I strongly prefer that the eating establishment be closest to me as possible =). Beca's coming, and I'm notoriously bad at finding places in Boston.

I know how to drive into Cambridge, Central Square, uhh... porter? whichever two are near the edge of somerville...

You know, where that ice cream place was, near Martha's house. Maaaartha!

mackillian
Member # 586

LOL

I also have to drive in. O_O

Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll come. [Smile]

Though, I'm shy. So you may get shy-Beca, or you may get normal-Beca.

And seafood sounds *wonderful* (I haven't had it quite a while) but I can be up for pretty much anything. Oh, but not Thai. Makes me sick.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Mkay. Looks like I'm picking up Beca and Mike tomorrow around 5:30pm and departing Providence at that time. Not sure if Myr can come, but if she can then she can meet me in Providence if she'd like.

This means we won't get into Boston until 6:30 at earliest, 7 pm most likely. Anywhere Mike knows how to get to, with parking, is okay. =) Closer to an interstate exit, the better. I'd rather not go harrying off to various and sundry alleyways in Boston =)

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
w00t! [Big Grin]

This is so worth missing ballet class for.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

There's a Legal Sea Foods in Kendall Square. What if we meet at that one?

Mack, you and Bob can meet whenever you can, and we'll try to meet you by 7 pm there. It closes at 10, which is when Bob can successfully turn into a pumpkin outside their establishment.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
And then we can have pumpkin pie for dessert.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I'm in! My mother-in-law rocks!!!

I am not working at all, so I can make a day of it, if anyone is interested. I do have to leave by 9:30 or 10pm at the latest.

Jenni can't make it, but she wishes she could....she loves Boston, and wanted to talk more Disney with you, Bob.

So how the hell do I get there? I'm originally from Detroit, so I don't know Boston at all.

I THINK it's east of here...lol...
I'm driving in from Springfield...

Kwea

Is Bokonon going to be there as well? If so, would you mind putting that beta onto a cd for me? You offered a few days ago, so I don't think you'll mind, and I'm looking forward to meeting you IRL!

sounds like a party, but i feel sorry for our waitress @ the bar...then again, even sodas are $5 in Boston.... [Roll Eyes]

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, if people would only post to the Little Debbie thread, you could have the "If Bob Were a Little Debbie snack" Little Debbie Snack for dessert.
Suneun
Member # 3247

Oof. It's 1.5 hours for you, not including traffic:

Directions

Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks, I was just about to use mapquest myself.

I'm really glad that I'll be there, but I wish JenniK could go as well.

My mother-in-law is going to pick Jenni up at one job and drop her at another, and then go back at 9 and drive her home. Isn't she cool? We do a lot to help her as well, so the respect is mutual. I have heard some real horror stories about in-laws, but I got really, really lucky!

Kwea

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So am I allowed to decided at about 3 tomorrow if I'm going or is that just bad? I'm not sure what exactly my work load for the day will turn out to be, adding in the 2 hr drive both ways.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Where do you live, Kwea?
Kwea
Member # 2199

I live in Chicopee, MA...it's right next to Springfield, on the forgotten Western MA side of the state.

How about you?

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Belchertown! I think we need us a WESTERN Mass Hatrack get-together!
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

Ooo Belchertown. [Smile] I'm in Amherst.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes! That's three of us, any more?

And were you not the young woman perhaps going to North Carolina to the Grassroots festival?

[ April 13, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

By the way, I prefer to pronounce Belchertown "Belleshaytoh"(Frenchish) Sounds a little classier.

By the way, next time there is a Boston are get-together, we forgotten western Mass residents can carpool.

And, I have been trying to get the Mackstress out here to Run the Range. I figure I can drop her off at one end, and pick her up on the other.

[ April 13, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This is so coooooool!!!

So, are we going to Legal Sea Food in Kendall Square? I can't believe I forgot that it was there. Great place!!!

Also, you all can reach me via e-mail and I'll give you a cell phone number.

e-mail to use is: bscopatz@data-nexus.com

Please do a copy/paste, though, because otherwise it goes to my boss and she has to forward it to me. Not a big deal, but it might mean that your message doesn't get through until too late.

I'm on an airplane WAYYY early in the morning.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Arg, there's no bus back to campus late enough.. I mean, late enough that I'd get back early enough to turn right around for my field trip the next day (yup, I'll be in Boston Thursday at 10am >.<)

[ April 13, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

[Grumble]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Dragon, I could conceivably bring you, you know. I'm leaving from Nashua.
Suneun
Member # 3247

Mack: does legal seafood in kendall work for you? when?

myr, what if you stayed at my house in providence for the night then met your group in boston at 10 am? there are busses from here to boston.

Or you could sleep with Bob!!!

mackillian
Member # 586

[Eek!]
[ROFL]

Yeah..but I need to know how to get there.

Suneun
Member # 3247

it's

5 Cambridge Center corner of 6th and Main
Cambridge, Mass 02139

(using legal sea foods' webpage)

I guess use one of the good ol' mapquest'ish things. It's in Kendall which is near MIT, if that helps you. We'll be getting there between 6:30 and 7. Martha will be calling bob and figuring out details tomorrow but will likely meet us at Legal around then as well?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.