FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SAT Scores. Grrrrrr..... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SAT Scores. Grrrrrr.....
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 1220. o_O

Apparently that qualifies me as dumb. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
No. 1300 is kinda a big turning point. 1220 isn't that bad.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
<grin> Actually my friend Sarah is far smarter than I could ever dream. She got a scholarship to med school at the Mayo Clinic, because she got the MCAT darn near perfect. I plan to see her and ElJay if I ever get up to Minnesota.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
And me??? [Frown] What about me??
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll bite, Slash. But I only brag about my family.

My cousin has her MD as well as specialization in haematology, internal medicine and a PhD in the History and Philosophy in Science that she did in Finland in a language she did speak at the time she started. There are some other degrees in there, but they're escaping me...

She's one of the leading haematologists on the planet and did all the scientific research that wound up being used to prove the third miracle that lead to the canonization of the first Canadian saint.

She's the usual medical expert for the CBC radio show Quirks and Quarks and is also an accomplished musician, professor and mother.

In closing, lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

[ April 14, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, I bet you got better grades than I did. Did you ever fail a class and have to go to summer school? I did. Twice.

And I bet you haven't lost your W2 form tonight.

[Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dumber than the PRESIDENT! [Cry]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I can make spaghetti.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Slash...

My friend got a 1550 on his SAT, was president of the Nat'l Honor Society, valedictorian, got 5's on six separate AP exams, and graduated magna from Duke.

He then went on to Harvard law where he got a 4.0 his first semester, and is holding in the 3.8+ range after 1.5 years. And he just married an awesome girl who's in Optometry school.

Granted, he *is* a Mets fan. But no one's perfect.

[edit: Okay, BtL has me beat, I think]

[ April 14, 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: StallingCow ]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Yeah, he does.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend told me that MENSA has a fairly low standardized test score threshold for membership purposes. After reading this board, she proclaimed that you are all potential members. Is that true? [Confused]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

How to answer that without sounding arrogant as heck . . .
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, what do you have to do to be in MENSA?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Be smart.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno... paying $35 a year to hang out with smart people while I can post at Hatrack for free may not be the smartest thing in the world. [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined MENSA for the sake of my resume, and the only standard I needed to meet was to have an IQ in the top 2% of the country. Though I hear there's also an LSAT cutoff. I don't know of any other standards you can meet.
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Yeah, v. One reason I don't belong. I don't have to be a member to buy their books. Belonging seems pointless and self-congratulatory. I don't mind being self-congratulatory, or pointless, but not both! [Big Grin]

[ April 14, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
hey everybody look! i pay for people to tell me how smart i am.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
What they need is a Mensa dating service. I'd join for that.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Grumble]
lcarus
Member # 4395

[ROFL]
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, why pay for that when there's hatrack? [Smile]

I suck. I only got a 31 on the ACT. Didn't take the SAT. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done any standarized testing, but I like to think I would have gotten at least a 300 on my SATs.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah, that's easy to say. 1000 is a much better "at least."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, MENSA basically IS a dating service. The only reason to go to the meetings if you AREN'T looking to hook up with other certifiably "intelligent" people is to advertise the fact that you have been certified intelligent.

The problem arises -- and this is why I left MENSA -- when you discover that merely being good at certain measures of intelligence does not make someone more likely to be a good conversationalist, a decent human being, or even someone who has anything at all in common with the other intelligent people who decided to show up.

MENSA would work much better, in my opinion, if it was a boardgame and puzzle club and got rid of the ridiculous "intelligence" angle.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I bet you haven't lost your W2 form tonight.

OH CRAP!! I KNEW I was forgetting something!

Added: I found my W-2 the other day, and I have most of my receipts, so maybe I can go home during lunch, so I can get to the post office. I think that will be okay.

[Razz] Oh, for crying out loud. Uh, Boon? Exactly how bad is it if I forget?

[ April 15, 2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe they kill you. And then fine you. And then kill you again.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

And as there's no statute of limitations, the cycle is stuck on rinse, repeat.

(stupid missing t's)

[ April 15, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Killing I'm willing to risk. Fining I can't.

Okay, long lunch it is.

[ April 15, 2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

File for an extension. It's what I'm doing, and you can do it by phone. Until midnight.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.