FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush's Presidential News Conference (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bush's Presidential News Conference
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Not as a race, Tres. A few people don't want democracy. But not as an entire people.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
So you maintain that anyone claiming the Soviet Union wanted Communism is a racist? Or that any historian claiming the Roman people preferred an Empire to a Republic is racist? Or that any claim that the historic Chinese ever liked having a monarchy is racist? And so on....
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this is interesting, because most of the pundits and commentators that are pushing the "ungrateful muslims don't want democracy" meme are actually the conservative ones, to my knowledge.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
John, that's not what I've observed at all.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Xaposert,

Bush said...
quote:
that if you’re Muslim, or perhaps brown-skinned, you can’t be self-governing or free. I’d strongly disagree with that.
Bush did not say that if any people WANTED another governemtn is racist. Bush said that if people think it is NOT POSSIBLE to have democracy acording to religion or skin color is racist. That is an importnat distinction to remember. If people choose to not have democracy, by Bush's standard, theyh are not racist. To assume someone is uncapableof democracy IS racist.

The true test of the Bush doctrine will be HOW the Irai people choose. If they choose democracy he/America will become justified. If they choose another dictator, it was a serious serious mistake.

I tend to think people get the government they deserve. Bush placed his chipss that they will choose democracy. If they choose otherwise does not by any of Bush's statements make the Iraqi people racist.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Dictators are seldom chosen. In order for the people to choose, they'd have to vote. In order to vote, they have to be part of a democracy...
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Au Contraire Unmaker. Dictators are often elected. Hitler, Julius Ceasar, Stalin, Napoleon, even President For Life Idi Amin.

The secret is to corrupt the voting process so that you do get elected dictator, then make sure there is a convient emergency that prompts the old ways of elections be replaced with your safe, stable rule.

(Look for "The Emporer" to be elected to his post in the last Star Wars movie).

One of my fears of the whole "Homeland Security" system is that it could be abused to give us a temporary dictator until the war for terrorism is over. President Bush hasn't gone that route, and I am thankful--so far.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

You haven't contradicted me at all...
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what David is trying to say is that Tresopax seems to confuse the will of the Dictator with the will of the people.

Just becuase the Dictator wants it, doesn't mean the people of the Soviet Union, Red China, Rome or anyone else prefered it. Certainly not in this day and age when Democracy is a tried and true method of government and not just something the ancient greeks did for a while.

(edit: Bad Grammar! No Biscuit!)

[ April 14, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The true test of the Bush doctrine will be HOW the Irai people choose.
I disagree. I believe the true test of the Bush Doctrine will be how the TERRORISTS choose to live or die.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, you get biscuits for good grammar?

[Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Maybe my dog is named Grammar, Hobbes =)
Unmaker
Member # 1641

Heh... an eternal torture, eh, Meg?
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
We had to slaughter to native indian and enslave the black man to build American "democracy" here in America, if we have to slaughter the native iraqi's and use slave labor to build "democracy" the BUSH/CHENEY/HALLIBURTOIN dynasty will pay that price.

Hell, they'll even do it in Jesus' name.

<THOR>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
'a vote for war is a vote for peace'
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

My government wants smaller, less powerful government.
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch it, so I don't know ... Is it true his tie has these little dots on them that moved when he did?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch it either, but I wish I had done. The incompetent mumbling tells a morbidly humorous tale that would delight any fan of the political forum, as I surmise.

deliciously entertaining.

fallow

[ April 17, 2004, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.