FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You can't fire me. I quit!

Author Topic: You can't fire me. I quit!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may know, I lost my job a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, they can't keep as many people over the summer, so I got cut. I experienced a day or two of panic and depression as I realized that if I didn't get a decent job pronto, we'd be in serious trouble.

So I checked some recent e-mails from the editing society on campus, and behold, there was a job opening that sounded really good. So I called them up, took their editing test, and had a mini-interview with the prospective boss. He told me to call him back the next day, and when I did, he told me over the phone that they'd like me to come in for a real interview that day, even though they'd basically already decided to hire me, so the interview was just a formality. So they hired me, agreed to match what I was making at the last job, and asked me to start in a couple of weeks. All of this was within four days of losing my last job.

So I had the great pleasure of saying to my boss, "Actually, I've already got another job lined up, and they want me to start in a couple of weeks." Sadly, I didn't actually say, "You can't fire me. I quit!" but that was what I was thinking.

Anyway, I started yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be a great job. Good coworkers, good boss, and good work that'll look great on my resume. I just wanted to share with Hatrack what had happened. [Smile]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! Lucky you!

Sadly my own job-hunt is not going as well as yours... yet. I'm still hopeful [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad, dude. You should've tried to gouge him for a raise.
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ever quit if you don't have another job lined up. Unemployment benefits can come in handy.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Velvet J Rocks!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got another job. Have fun.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
*Glad the topic of this thread is lot happier than the title implied*

Congratulations. A good job, especially one that you enjoy, is a blessing. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
vwiggin expressed my thoughts precisely.

Congrats Jon Boy!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
*pictures Jonboy dressed in an elf costume, dreaming of being a dentist*

*goes back to reality*

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Coolness. [Smile]

Here's hoping that as time goes by, you are even more enthusiastic about this job than you are now! And just think, now you will NEVER have to edit anything else by what's-'is-face. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! That happened to me too, actually. Except that I didn't get to tell the boss that I had another job lined up, because he didn't even tell me I was fired.. My name was just whited off the schedule when I came in...

But I got another job that day. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Jon Boy! That's great news!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll spare you the wave, but I was tempted to use it. Go Jon Boy!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Will the new job have scrabble time built in?

*hopeless addict*

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
You should've tried to gouge him for a raise.
Actually, since they matched my old wages, I'm only a dollar away from the student salary cap right now. A couple more semesters, and no more possibility of raises for me.
quote:
Don't ever quit if you don't have another job lined up. Unemployment benefits can come in handy.
Do students really qualify for unemployment?
quote:
Will the new job have scrabble time built in?
Sadly, no. I'm working in an office now, not at home. I'll be on Hatrack a lot less, which also means I'll be able to play Scrabble a lot less. [Cry]

But thanks, everybody. I'm pretty excited.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll be on Hatrack a lot less,
You can't quit Hatrack

You're fired!

(ps Congratz!!!!!!!)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll be on Hatrack a lot less,
[Eek!]
quote:
which also means I'll be able to play Scrabble a lot less.
[Angst] [Cry]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
No more evil editing assignments, then?

Are we still colleagues-in-law?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think there are probably evil editing assignments at any job. But yeah, we're still colleagues-in-law. We've had two employers in common so far. You didn't work for the Religious Studies Center, did you?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.