FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for Hatrack Moms or Dads that know how to cook

Author Topic: Question for Hatrack Moms or Dads that know how to cook
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...do you have to use up the tomato sauce within five days of opening?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
**doesn't know how to cook, but knows the answer**

I wouldn't eat it.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Use it before the green fur starts to grow.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

And, in general, I find it lasts much longer than five days. (refridgerated)

[ April 14, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me it was refrigerated at least.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not sick, and it's been over five days.

It smelled okay.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Smell it.

Look for mold spores.

Did you keep it in the tin can? If you kept it in the tin can, throw it away (something about the metal leaching into the tomato stuff is bad...). If you kept it in a tupperware with the lid on, and there is no funny smell and no mold spores (round, bluey floaties), I'd say go ahead and use it, cooking thoroughly.

Of course, *I* don't mind eating non-firm cucumbers, so you might not want my advice. VBG

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The jar stuff? Five days is just fine.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, Jexx is right. Glass only, not in the can. The tomato eats into the aluminum, and auminum gets into the food.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason the tomato doesn't start dissolving the aluminum before the can is opened?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes. But I am not sure what it is. Because there is a vacuum inside the can, maybe? And, actually, it might eat it away.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
5 days? This whole 5 days rule is new to me. I'm still hung up on the 3 day rule. The guys at my husband's job love the 3 day rule. Especially when I make a 9x13 pan of lasagna. My husband alone cannot eat a 9x13 pan of lasagna in 3 days. (Granted, I could freeze it, but he always says he can eat it all. He never does, unless I freeze the amount that I normally throw out. Then he wonders where all the lasagna went. [Wall Bash] )
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Seriously, two weeks in a glass jar in the fridge is a bad idea? I'll never eat it more often than that.

p.s. there's no meat in the sauce. Just tomato and veggies.

[ April 14, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's in a glass jar as well..and only in there for a week...maybe a week and a half? In the fridge.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it something to do with the fact that air gets in after you open the can & that makes the aluminium do whatever it does to the food? I just know that you should transfer stuff into plastic containers to keep in the fridge, once the can is open.

I'm not sure if it's just a rumour... [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with it as long as its within a reasonable time period. As long as it smells fine, is in a glass jar, and refigerated, its okay it seems.

I did have some that I threw away, but that was like a month in the fridge, and I threw it away on principle.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but keeping stuff in glass jars in the fridge is fine. I do it all the time, and I'll eat it any time up until it starts growing extra bits. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
If you spray your tupperware (et al) with Pam before putting tomato-sauce-laden food in it, you can microwave it without staining the plastic. That's the only worthwhile thing I know about tomato sauce. I fall into the "if the food ain't fuzzy yet it's probably cool" crowd.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Aluminum + tomato sauce (acid) + oxygen = corrosion = BLEH!

So, don't keep it in an open can. But a sealed glass or plastic container is fine. Especially if your brand has lots of cool preservative-type-chemicals. [Wink] Yum!

I keep opened (but closed tightly) jars of tomato sauce in the fridge for weeks. Longer even, probably -- I don't write a date on it. [Dont Know]

Haven't killed anyone yet. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to looking for fuzz, I also sniff (or waft) to see if there is any fungal essence. But I have no idea how long various stuff has been in my fridge. Why is tomato/spaghetti sauce different from apple sauce?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as I can't see anything growing in it and it doesn't smell funny, I think it's fine. I know I keep (and use) tomato sauce (in its glass jar or in a tupperware) in the fridge longer than 5 days.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you rivka,

I was feeling the chemical urge to scream OXIDATION at everyone before your post...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

They have pills for those chemical urges, AJ.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Wink] @ Icarus

Storing the tomato sauce in glass should be just fine. (Heck that's how aqua regia is stored.) However, don't store it upside down with the tomato sauce in contact with the metal lid... Then you are getting the same problems as if storing in a can.

THat tip on spraying the stuff so that it doesn't get dyed is interesting but make sense. Plastics are giant branching molecules and there is actually a lot of available space in between for smaller molecules (like the red in tomato sauce) to sneak in between and stay because they like it especially when heat is added. Spraying with Pam would pre-clog those openings though and make it so that those sneaky small molecules couldn't get in.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
So how long can I leave tuna fish in the can, once it's been opened? This is tuna in water, not tuna in oil.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I personally wouldn't. I'd transfer it to a ziploc baggie. But you don't have the acidity factor in the tuna scenario that is inherent in the tomato scenario so it probably isn't quite as big of a deal.

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I would recommend that you do a helpful hints column, but most of the world's eyes would glaze over.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't store stuff in a can! My grandmother always said not to! Put it in a plastic container to be on the safe side!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

I find it more convenient to store it all around my waist. That way I always have it nearby.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

LOL, I have that effect on people. [Wink]

Actually it was Papa Moose's helpful hint, I just expounded upon it...

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

When tin cans were actually tin you had a lot more problems. Now even if they are tin they normally have a protective coating of plastic to prevent the can and the contents from reacting with each other, if there are issues.

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you just made me snicker at work.

What about milk? My wife insists that you must throw it out the day listed. I say that's the last day it can be sold, but as long as smells OK, you won't die.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

[Smile]

My rule for pretty much everything is that if it smells, looks, and tastes okay, it's okay. Cor believes that things are magically okay before and on their expiration date, and immediately bad afterward. I get my way with eggs, on which we use the water cup test, but she gets her way with milk, because, well, nobody really wants to test questionable milk to see if it's still good.

aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is gross, but when I was a poor college student (as opposed to a poor teacher) I would eat Ragu spaghetti sauce out of a LARGE jar (it was cheaper that way) for weeks. And, if it started growing stuff on the edges, I would scrape off the moldy sauce and still eat it. I'm still alive and I never got food poisoning.

But then again, maybe I was blessed.

And it was certainly disgusting now that I look back on it. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Yeah, you can just cut the mold off of bread and cheese too.

Doesn't work too good for milk, though.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is no meat in the sauce and it was stored in glass, I'd eat it but cook it at least 1/2 an hour first.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Why 1/2 an hour?
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
^^ If you're worried about bugs, all you have to do is reach a certain temperature.

Why moms & dads? Us singles have far more time and flexibility in cooking [Smile]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rules of thumb I was taught for things past their expiration dates:

• Medications: toss (can in some cases become not merely ineffective, but actually harmful)
  • Dry goods (crackers, cereal, etc.): no problem, might taste a bit stale
  • Dairy products: should generally be good 5-7 days past date IF they have been stored properly; still SEALED yogurt and cottage cheese should be good until at least a month past date
  • Eggs: good for weeks past date, although I wouldn't use post-date eggs for anything (like scrambled or fried eggs) that isn't thoroughly cooked
  • Citrus juice: if opened, usually good for 7-10 days past date; if never opened, probably good for 2-3 weeks past date (but use rapidly once opened); also, sniff taste is highly indicative for citrus juices
  • USE COMMON SENSE! If it looks odd, smells off, or otherwise seems questionable, DON'T EAT IT! And for goodness sakes, don't ask me to smell it!
YMMV, I decline to be held legally responsible, yada yada . . . but as I mentioned in my previous post, I haven't killed anyone yet. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
Working as I do the in the ultimate potentially dodgy food business (chicken) I know that most shelf life indicators are at LEAST 10% shorter than the that theoretically possible. Add on 10% to the shelflife and you're fine unless it smells or looks bad, or is growing something.!!
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
And don't cut the mold off soft cheeses, only off hard cheeses, cause the mold toxin spreads through soft foods more easily than through hard foods (like hard cheeses).
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, I did not know that. You get the prize for teaching me something new today! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
And don't cut the mold off soft cheeses
Except, of course, the kinds of soft cheese that are supposed to have stuff growin' on 'em. [Big Grin]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Right you are, rivka. [Smile]

And boy do I love those kinds of soft cheeses. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Me too. Nummy!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.