FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mein Kampf

Author Topic: Mein Kampf
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else read this? I just . . . well, I thought it would be scarier. I assumed Hitler would just be so good at arguing that I could see how people would believe him. But it's so poorly argued, with no evidence and all kinds of huge overstatements and blatant lies, that I wonder how anyone took this guy seriously. They really must have been hungry for someone to blame.

quote:
The black-haired Jewish youth, with satanic joy on his face, lurks in wait for hours for the girls he plans to defile with his blood, and steal the young girl from her people.
quote:
Culturally he [the Jew] pollutes art, literature, and theater, makes a mockery of natural sensibilities, destroys every concept of beauty and nobility, the worthy and the good, and instead drags other men down to the sphere of its own lowly existence.
There's a lot more, but I'm reading it from an Acrobat Reader file and can't copy and paste, and I'm too busy and lazy right now to find it elsewhere.

What scares me about Mein Kampf now is completely different from what I was afraid of before. Before, I was terrified that a man could be simultaneously so brilliant and so evil as Hitler that ordinary people could be coerced into believing him. Now I'm terrified that he didn't have to be a brilliant debater to get millions of people to follow him into this madness.

*shudders*

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-semitism was at an all-time high in Germany (and, IIRC, throughout Europe) at that time. People were ready to accept any piece of crap that confirmed their prejudices and then took it a step or two further.

Yeah, it is scary.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you have seen videos of Hitler speak. Remembering those, (even if you don't speak German, which I understand very little of) anyone would say that he had a "presence". His charisma and passion was captivating.

Even with all that, I still don't get it. How he convinced so many people to commit such terrible crimes....

I remember thinking the same things you are thinking when I read it.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Read American anti-Jew stuff from around the same time and compare it to Meain Kampf and I think you'll see the difference. Hitler was a genius, in that he forged the anti-Jewish setiments and scape-goating into a compelling myth, instead of just undirected spouting off hatred. He gave a meaning and structure to this hatred and showed people who to make it their guiding story.

You have to understand, Hitler didn't create anti-Semitism or German yearnings for superiority. His writings weren't to convice people of these things. He was trying to harness them, refine them, and make them so pervasive and central to the idea of Gernman identity that even the idea of questioning them would be shouted down. He did a great job of this.

I'll plug it again, although I doubt it will do any good. If you want to understand the nature of prejudice, I give my highest recommendation to the The Nature of Prejudice by Gordon Allport. This is the work on prejudice and will most likely open your eyes about human nature.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Squick is correct about Hitler not creating the antisemitism. When looking at Mein Kampf, don't look at is as trying to convince people. Most of them were already convinced. Also, many more people were subversively convinced (through Church depictions of Jews, economic struggles with all types of people, and general fear of that-which-is-different), and all Hitler did was tap into that. He wasn't the first, nor will he be the last. He was just, to date, the most successful.

Anti-Jewish sentiment runs deep in Western culture, and we are far from rid of it.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, it has been steadily rising again in the last few years.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the charisma of Hitler exists. It's like Elvis, actually. All the hype, all the photos, even the music, and it made no sense until I caught a movie of his on cable. Thirty seconds and I understood the myth.

[ April 16, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
I've already posted one thread about it, digger. In a day or two, I'll be posting another with more stuff I've been studying, and more quotes from James Carroll (one of the authors, who puts the rest together very well).
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Started reading it, but haven't finished. He was a looney, but a brilliant man all the same. Too bad he harnessed hate. If his heart was set to a different path, he could have made a contribution to the world. Instead he took w/o giving back.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the recommendation Squick. I'll check it out (literally--I'm trying to curb my book buying habit).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, did you read it in German or was this a translation. If it was a translation, you wonder how "good" (or authentic anyway) is the translation?

I think the majority of people are sheep. In a lot of respects, I am.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to remember that: Hitler is like Elvis. Or is Elvis like Hitler?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.