FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worthless American Culture (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worthless American Culture
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, internal combustion engines, though. Sweet nothings to my ear! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fishtail. I was going to post something to that effect. Some to Most of these military minds are educated.

To let you know, I hated Poe's writings. I prefer Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, Louis Lamoore (changed to L'amour). If you want to compare book collections, I own over 550 books (not all in english) and have over 800 magazines ranging from cars to western history and ww2 history.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I had "dulce et decorum est" inked on my helmet band at various times while I was in the military and no one said a damn thing to me. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, I'm not terribly fond of Poe's stuff either. I just can't imagine not remembering it!

Storm, did you really?! [ROFL]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((ak)))))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Storm: Don't forget the pro patri mori!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, did you mean that ironically, as in the poem?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jaques Chirac is a neo-Gaullist, I think, or so I hear. He certainly believes France deserves a far higher place in the world than it currently occupies, and his unintelligent, tactless quips about America-loving Eastern Europeans makes him out to be the ultimate French political stereotype in many people's eyes
Well, this is certainly a simplification. Chirac's party has made a large effort to distance itself from the Gaulliste party. It's basically a conglomerate of parties on the right, consolidated to create a larger voting force against the leftist parties. At any rate, I would by no means call Chirac representative of the French public. The only reason he was elected to a second term is because he was running against LePen. And the most recent round of elections has shown him losing a lot of ground.

Not that any of this is relevant... the main issure here is over-simplification of a people you don't understand. As soon as anyone starts passing judgement on an entire nation without being fully educated, we run into problems of prejudice and stereotyping.

Can't we all just get along? [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't have much of a problem with the french... I took several French literature classes and they were some of my favorites, which is sort of the reason why I find the distance and their supposed disdain for us to be fairly distressing.

But the guy who told me Chirac was a neo-Gaullist was my European relations professor, whom I trust... He's published and whatnot, if that means anything, and he certainly knows enough about European politics to go on and on about it endlessly, on tangents, and bore us all to death. Perhaps he's wrong. Americans probably associate any semblance of French ambition with Gaullism.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a valid point under there, even if the Italian lady came nowhere close to finding it. When you're in Europe it's just as easy to find American culture as it is here, and not just because of the Internet. The prevalence is freaky considering the language barrier et al. In my experience this in no way drowned out local culture -- 300 million people can absorb a lot of cultures, period -- but the prospect has rightfully scared some folks.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the guy who told me Chirac was a neo-Gaullist was my European relations professor, whom I trust...
He is right. Point is, not everybody in his party is like him : in fact it's a minority. And as a president he represents the all party, not his own opinions.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.