FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flattery

Author Topic: Flattery
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, I nearly just decked a co-worker for flattery.

I suspect he'd had a bad day, since I know a bit about the project he's working on and then he broke one of our nice large glass beakers because he accidentally dropped the part instead of placing it gently. So I suggested he use a large stainless steel 2 gallon beaker instead.

He's genuinely a nice guy. I have to work with him a lot and I never mind. However it was like one thing going right today made him snap. I'm sure my face was beet red. They were all genuine compliments in a way nothing about me being a girl or anything else more about the fact that I'm willing to help other people out and get stuff done when they come to me. My other co-worker the infamous Weightlifter Bob was there too and afer a point he went "You're laying it on so thick I want to gag!" At which point the other guy kind of wound himself down.

Interestingly enough I actually do agree with him for the most part about politics and while possibly a little out of his league at Hatrack he really does think about issues. An intellectual *in the closet* as it were because you can't appear to be intellectual and work where he does.

Anyway I really like the guy and it wasn't squicky, but at the same time he does have a daughter my age, and he just *wouldn't stop*! even if it was due more to the way his day went than anything else.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Just accept the accolades as worship, Goddess. You were Christ to this man, a bodhisattva, the Hand of God. You blessed him for a moment and he was giving thanks for it.

It's okay, really it is. You may have been embarrassed, but isn't it nice to touch someone's life in a good way?

It's a bit of balance for those times when perhaps you have been snarky or gossipy about others.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
(Not trying to imply that BannaOJ is a snarky or gossipy person, but I'm sure she doesn't manifest deity ALL the time!)
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah that is a good way to look at it Jenny. The problem being that it shook my equillibrium. I don't know why I'm in an introspective mood today, but for some reason I can take sharp criticism much better than genuine compliments, even when the compliments are so thick they've crossed the border into flattery.

And if it was anyone but this particular guy it would have squicked me out. But he was so sincere and like I said it was totally non-sexual and about my competency at my job rather than anything personal.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I think the patience you showed with this guy proves what an incredible person you are. All of us here know what an intelligent, beautiful woman you are, but this just knocked my socks off. When you recommended that he use the 2-gallon stainless steel beaker, I couldn't help but think "Wow, I would have never thought of that. It's a good thing AJ was there was there to help that guy out."

And you're great with dogs.

And you're seeing a geotech engineer. If that doesn't prove how brainy you are, I don't know what will.

<waits for AJ to deck him> [Razz]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Wall Bash] (imagine the wall is you zgator if you are into that sort of thing...)

[Big Grin]

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, our foreheads touched. I'm never washing it again.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

hmmm he likes it rough...

Maybe Steve didn't actually mind when I dislocated his toe and gave him a black eye all in the same week...

AJ

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I promise - no flattery this week. This week, no one gets flattery from me. [Grumble]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*hugs* are you still sick sndrake?

AJ

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - I think I'll be calling in my refill for antibiotics. It's probably pneumonia. I've gotten this low-level type before. [Grumble]

I've put my grumpiness to good use. I've been posting on other forums - my posts would not be recognizable as being by the same generally civil person who posts here.

S'okay, though - it's work related and they were jerks anyway. [Evil]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and while possibly a little out of his league at Hatrack
Trying to pretend I don't know what this means. [Evil Laugh]
But really, I think there are some pretty down to earth folks here.

I like to think I'm the sharpest tool in the shed, but it's because my handle is busted.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The reason why I said out of his league was actually more of a reference to his computer skills than his brain. But I don't know how he would handle the lightning fast rebuttals that go on here and argument in written words rather than verbal that even some computer literate people can't handle.

AJ

aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Get out of here! You're just flattering us.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Being flattered is disconcerting...

<---- just got finished being called "cute" and "curvy" by Narnia.

#>_>#

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.