FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NBA Finals starts TODAY - or how hall of famers go down in flames

Author Topic: NBA Finals starts TODAY - or how hall of famers go down in flames
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
For some of you, today marks the beginning of the NBA playoffs. Realistically speaking, I think the winner between the Kings and the Mavs will take it this year. Lakers might be a wild card. If they can convincingly sweep the rockets, then the Lakers have a chance to go all the way again. If the Lakers drag this out too long, they will not be fresh enough to get pass the second round.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I see you have decided to count out my home team.

Again.

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

The Marlins?

OK, if your team is San Antonio or Minny, then I give you a shot. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from an Astros game.
Bagwell hit one out.
Biggio hit one out
and
hidalgo was rockin'.

The NFL draft is only a week away,
yippeee!

Oh, this is an NBA basketball thread...
oopsie...
sorry...

so, um I say!

Go Denver Nuggets! Carmelo is the man!

Minnesota will win a playoff series, then lose, Dallas will continue to not go all the way in the playoffs because their roster is full of wimpy whiny finesse sissies who never play defense, it'll all be won as usual by the Lakers (kobe and shaq) or Timmy "I am the #1 basketball player in the world" Duncan's spurs.

Detriot in the East, but they lose to the west.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Heat!!! [The Wave]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if San Antonio can repeat. I'm still kind of pissed that the management couldn't find any heavyweight talent to fill the salary cap space vacated by Robinson and Smith.

Agreed with the Mavs and Kings. Haven't watched much NBA basketball this year, but it seems painfully obvious they're the only two teams who've even heard of the concept of team defense.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I think the Kings can play some decent team D down the stretch, not sure about the Mavs though. [Smile]

Since Utah isn't in the playoffs, I'm going to cheer for the Mavs. I would love to see a Laker-Nuggets showdown. Show them it is not about Luck Jerry!

Shlomo
Member # 1912

Mmmmmhmmmm... [Roll Eyes] [ROFL]
Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I thought your title said"...or how hall of FARMERS go down in flames."
That would be sad, huh? I got this vivid mental image of a bunch of Amish men running from a barn with their beards aflame. I really shouldnt find that so amusing.
Why isnt there a hall of farmers? They deserve it.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren: the Mavs aren't quick enough to be the best at it, but at least they actually know what a zone is and when to use it
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the parallels between the Heat and the Marlins are there . . . sort-of-new head coach who took the head job at the last minute. Bad start. Playing the best (record-wise) of any team since the all-star break or so. Nobody expects much from them, but they might just sneak up on some teams!
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
So what are the chances of Jerry getting "Coach of the Year"? Sorry, if I'm hijacking your thread . . .
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
If coach of the year means anything at all, it should go to Stan Van Gundy. Sorry to sound like a homer (sort-of), but this is a team that on paper had no reason to make the playoffs (let alone fourth seed), that got off to an 0-5 start. Regardless of the job they do in the playoffs, nobody has overachieved like they have.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it was 0-7. [Smile]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Richard, I have no doubt that the Mavs are the most intelligent zone defense team in the NBA (with maybe the exception of Minny). But for the Mavs, there is a gap between knowing what to do and actually doing it. It is frustrating but it makes exciting basketball. [Smile]

Utah, I would vote for Jerry for coach of the year every year (and I live in Los Angeles!).

I have to say I haven't followed the Heat that much. I wish them well in the playoffs because Eddie and Lamar are two of my favorite players.

Shlomo
Member # 1912

quote:
You know, the parallels between the Heat and the Marlins are there . . . sort-of-new head coach who took the head job at the last minute. Bad start. Playing the best (record-wise) of any team since the all-star break or so.
Add "wins in the clutch" to there too, now.

Seriously, I just can't imagine this team getting knocked out.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

The Heat won!!! [The Wave]
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Sacramento won! [The Wave]
I would like to Sacramento win one (possibly having to do with the fact that I live there... [Wink] ), but I would rather see the Lakers lose!

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Man! I hope the T-Wolves roll deep into the playoffs this year. Seems like the stars are aligning for them.

Last night:
Sam Cassell - 40 pts!
Kevin Garnett - 30 pts - 20 boards!

I'm hoping they sweep the Nuggets and rest up for Sacramento or Dallas (which I hope goes to 7 games).

[ April 19, 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Traveler ]

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

Memphis fans have to be very unhappy. Will their team ever show up in this series? Last night they almost went the entire third quarter without a basket! [Roll Eyes]

I had originally hoped that Memphis would somehow stun the spurs but now I'm thinking they will get swept in 4.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Minnesota will win it all - you heard it here first!
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

I sure hope you are right!

I've been a long-time Wolves fan...partial season-ticket holder...and have been to every home playoff game the wolves have ever been in. As you can imagine, I'm a lil' bit tired of seeing the wolves lose in the first round.

So..despite the great success this regular season I was very nervous at Sunday's game. I'm going to be very, very nervous until we get out of the first round. Once we accomplish that I'll count this season as a success no matter what happens after that. Just to get that monkey off the T-Wolve's back will be so great!

Traveler
Member # 3615

T-Wolves are now 2-0 on the Nuggets.. Woohoo!

** starts looking for some brooms **

These late night games are killing me though.. I'm not getting home from them until after midnight and then I'm all wired and can't sleep. I'm at work by 7 am so I'm a little sleepy this week.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
The Heat crushed the Hornets last night, 93-63, and are also up 2-0.

It seems that in almost all the match-ups, home court advantage allowed the home teams to go to their away games up 2-0.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"These late night games are killing me though.. I'm not getting home from them until after midnight and then I'm all wired and can't sleep."

*jealous* [Razz]

Man, the Lakers really suck! [Big Grin]

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Mavericks sweeped thing Kings by 20-something points. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

At least the Mavs-Kings series is fun to watch. The Lakers-Rockets series is SO painful.

We have:

Dribble dribble dribble... Kobe puts one up.

or

Dribble dribble dribble... Franchise puts one up.

[Sleep]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.