FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Walid Shoebat

Author Topic: Walid Shoebat
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
So the Student Alliance for Israel (SAFI) is bringing Walid Shoebat to campus to speak next week.

Palestinian militant turned peacemaker

Basically, he's a Palestinian who as renounced Islam and converted to Christianity. Now he's on the lecture circuit speaking about the evil of the PLO and the right of Israel.

I'm a little torn about this. There was a column published in our student newspaper, written by a Muslim student, protesting Shoebat:

Column: Standing with a Racist

Problem is, I can't actually find Shoebat's website to validate the claims the Muslim student makes. Also, almost all of the websites that come up (with the exception of the BBC) are Jewish/Zionest news groups or organizations, which makes me a little bit wary.

Does anyone know anything about this guy? How would you feel if he was coming to speak in your community?

[ April 18, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I know he's got the best comedy name ever. [Smile]

I read the first page of the article you linked to that denounced him.

Second page wanted me to register. Not gonna do it.

Anyways, from the first page, I didn't get enough info to really say whether or not he was 'racist'--a charge which really doesn't say anything other than 'you really piss us off' and doesn't seek to address any of the specific issues I'm guessing he brings up. Obviously, if he wants all Palestinians dead, he's a little bit off the edge, but I would be suprised if he were that way since I'm guessing most student groups would be smart enough not to smear their cause with his presence.

Let us know if you find his website.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, newfoundlogic would just love to heard Shoebat, if that student is correct about Shoebat's speeches.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
John, that was really unnecessarily snarky.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.