FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The non-watch-wearers are a parasitic sub-society

Author Topic: The non-watch-wearers are a parasitic sub-society
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of people get around fine without a watch. They show up to events when they're ready to go, knowing that nothing important will happen until they're present, knowing that the bus would never leave without them.

When breakfast is done and it's time for the keynote speaker, they know that they can just follow the crowd so they'll get there on time.

When the dance is getting started, they wander in when it looks like the most people are there.

And then, there's the host faction of society:

They show up on time, load their things on the bus, and then have to sit there for 45 minutes, making calls to non-watch-wearers who are late and who can't be left behind.

They hurry and eat their breakfast so they can get to the speaker on time and get a good seat, and then wait to hear the speaker start 10 minutes late as everyone else files in loudly and takes a while to find a seat.

They show up on time to the dance, and try to have fun for 2 hours until enough people show up to constitute "critical mass" for retaining those who wander in. They are always part of the critical mass but have trouble convincing other people to stick around so there will be something going on.

Not that there's anything wrong with these behaviors; I've decided it must just be a biological adaptation. The late ones just suck our chronometric blood as a survival tactic. Right.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, what about those of us who wear a watch, have many clocks, and try to be on time for things . . . but don't always quite manage?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
All of the people who are chronically late are non-watch wearers?

All people who don't wear watched are habitually late?

What about people who can't wear watches because of skin allergies?

[Razz]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
What about those of us who used to be a part of the chrono-bunch and just don't give a fig anymore?

You know - we decided to not increase our blood pressure past livable conditions and join the more happy-go-lucky-folks-that-will-live-forever crowd?

You know - those of us who keep trying to turn in our Type AAA personality profiles for a happier more gentle way of life?

(Don't mind me - just a bad mom day)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
What about those of us who don't wear watches but are always on time or early anyway?
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear a watch. There are clocks on walls at home, school and work. If I'm out and about, like at a mall, I don't want to be reminded when I'm supposed to go home. I don't want to have to beat a clock to get to the next thing I need to do. I don't want to look at my wrist to determine if its time to eat or not, my stomach can do that (otherwise, if its after 12:30 pm, I'm eating, regardless if I'm hungry or not). If I show up late to a party or a dance or something, I can still enjoy it, rather than be there longer than needed (for example, school dances lasting 3 hours. Honestly, who needs to be there 3 hours when you can be doing a day activity instead or enjoying your dinner). I'm considerate enough that, if needing to catch a bus, there are plenty of stores, and other people around to ask the time. Movies, you can show up really early to and walk around the mall, or show up 5 or 10 minutes late and only miss the previews. Sure, I'm going to be walking in front of people if late, but what are they missing, really?

I'm happy not wearing a watch.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, T.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, Annie, the last time we had this discussion, weren't you on the other side of the fence?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

If you can still function and do things on time without a watch, you're part of the host. The host is the part that makes sure things happen on many levels - not just chronometric.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Rivka - yes. And to quote Ralphie:
quote:
Annie - You're a watch-wearer. Actually wearing the watch is neither here nor there.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

If you can still function without the use of a watch, and still slack off with the use of a watch, then obviously, it is not the lack of watch that makes one this parasite you are talking about.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I think you're right, T. It's the lack of caring about the time. But we shall define this as "non-watch-wearing" for semantical purposes and so as to not make me look like an ass.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

But of course.

And, I wasn't making you feel like an ass, was I?

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, get on AIM.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I never look like an ass.

*wags tail*

rivka
Member # 4859

What I want to know is, who are these people for whom busses and parties wait? Cuz when I'm late, I miss the bus (usually by like a minute) or the best part of the speech or whatever.
Annie
Member # 295

The late people usually have to be in a mass for their tactics to work. You know - like viruses. And they usually are.
rivka
Member # 4859

Figures. Even my lateness is insufficiently co-ordinated. [Big Grin]
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
*breathes sigh of relief*

I so thought this thread was gonna be about people like me.

*has a pocket watch*

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont wear a watch, never have, and I'm chronically early for everything......I think it's discourteous to be late, and that has nothing to do with whether you wear a watch or not. [Smile]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

hmm . . . if late people are parasitic, why do early people need them at their parties so?

Sounds like the early people are parasoitic, because they can't have a party until the late people arrive. [Wink]

-o-

People would also be less inclined to be late if stuff started on time. As it is, why arrive on time to a lecture, and then sit and wait? I hate to arrive at a doctor's office for a 10:30 appointment and wait until noon to be seen. Why didn't they tell me the real time to show up, instead of a pretend time?

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Here, a gift for non-watch wearers.
Annie
Member # 295

that's really cool, Icarus.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
The watchless aren't the majority of the late crowd, I don't think. No -- the reason they're parasitic is because they award themselves the right to ask other people what time it is. Kind of like smokers who don't carry a lighter (granted this was more common in Europe).
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That link was kind of unnerving. I'm not really sure why.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear a watch.

I don't ask other people what time it is.

I'm one of the lucky few that can guess what hour of the day it is and usually get it right, given a 5 minute spread.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually wear a watch, except to the gym or biking, because I don't want to damage/lose it or get it all sweaty.

But I'm chronically inconsistent. That is, I can be late, I can be early. I can miss something entirely by convincing myself it is Tuesday instead of Monday, therefore the kids don't have to go to Choi Kwang Do.

I imagine my erratic schedule would frustrate any burglars trying to 'case the joint'.

[Evil]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
No, we cased it just fine. . .

Oh! Um. . . no we didnt'.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Rolf Singer and others here, I don't wear a wristwatch and am chronically early everywhere anyway.

Since my last watch quit, I have found I don't really need one. The time is on the computer screen (that I have to look at all day at work), the time is on my cell phone; the time in on clocks on the wall, on my truck dashboard, etc. etc. We already have the time available in more places than we really need.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, Farmgirl. I'm a cellphone and PDA carrier, have clock on the dashboard and computer, one by the bed, one on the VCR, Cable-Box, and TV. I stopped wearing a watch because of the redundancy issue, too.

Now if I could just get all of them to sync up with the Universal Atomic clock . . .

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The non-watch-wearers are a parasitic sub-society
The hell you say!
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Annie really means to change the thread title to "late people are a parasitic sub-society"

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

No, we already discussed that the name non-watch-wearers is merely used to classify a diverse group of individuals with or without the watch. It's a metaphorical watch that they're not wearing.

Plus, changing the title would make me look like an ass.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I married in to a particularly virulent strain that are not merely chronically late, they are "time adjusters". They set their clocks 9 minutes fast because it's supposed to help them be on time, but instead they start disregarding all clocks. If they want you to be on time, they lie about the start time of an event, and because they have lied, they can no longer remember the real start time. They are the reason Jesus has not returned yet.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
pretty watch
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, Annie, the last time we had this discussion, weren't you on the other side of the fence?
Thanks for linking that thread, rivka. It contains what may be my best post ever.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate watches. They make my wrist sweaty. When I need to be on time, I use the wall clocks and my car clocks. I also can tell what time it is by my biological clock pretty well. When I want to take my class outside, I clip a little clock on my clipboard.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a watch!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I own a watch. I never wear it. I'm on time for things that start at a specific time, but I've missed parties completely by not watching the time. I've missed PLANES by not watching the time. I've missed planes by entire DAYS by not paying attention to schedules.

I am encouraged in this by (1) only needing to arrive at work by 9:30, and my body wakes up by 7:00 everyday regardless. Mornings are never rushed. (2) Having a cell phone for people to call if I am late, which lights a fire, and (3) clocks everywhere on the off chance I need to be somewhere on time.

Annie, I'm sorry. If it helps, the airport/plane thing is somewhat annoying to me.

[ April 19, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
Every doctor I have ever known has worn a watch, but I have yet to meet a medical professional who actually runs on time, watch or no. The day it happens I'll be watching the skies 'cause alien invasion and other such long shots can't be far off.

As a side issue, my doctor kept me waiting for 40 minutes today and once she deigned to see me, proceeded to print out my prescription form (incorrectly as it happens which I had to point out and get her to change), tick the "make this one pay full price" box, and hurry me out the door in less than 2 minutes. And had the cheek to charge me $45 for the privilege of her company. GRRRR. I almost felt tempted to invent a complaint of some sort to get my moneys worth.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*blushes with pride*

"watch-free since 1987!"

punctually yours,

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.