FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Semiversaries"

Author Topic: "Semiversaries"
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok , so I'm a few minutes past midnight and it is no longer actually the "semiversary" of the day that Kwea and I got married. I know he says that I am blonde and... he is wrong, my hair is naturally platinum, thank you very much! But, I, as a sentimental, sappy woman, I feel that it is something big.....as in we have been married for 6 MONTHS!!! and ... I HAVEN'T KILLED HIM YET! [Kiss]

Forgive me if I am wrong , but should such major occasions go completely unrecognized? I origionally called it the "6 month anniversary", but that is lingually incorect as anni- translates from ano/anum or Latin for year, so technically that is incorrect. However; semiversary translates from semi- Latin for
half. So April 18th was our semiversary. Please let me know if you agree with me, or , if you have completely outgrown the wonder of childlike thoughts and logic. I for one will never grow up completely so, of course this makes perfect sense to me [Taunt] ! Happy Patriots Day!

[ April 19, 2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: JenniK ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember our first lunaversary. [Smile]

Edit: Oh, and congrats!

[ April 19, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Semi just means half, so it would have to still have the "anni" in it, since you're trying to say half a year. Not enough of a Latin scholar to figure out the right way to string that together.

Dagonee
*OK, I don't know any Latin except what we've covered in cases this year.

Edit: And congratulations!

[ April 19, 2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, guys! [Smile] I know a lot of couples for whom the 6-month-anniversary felt more significant that the one-year. [Dont Know] So yeah, I think it should be acknowledged. [Party]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni,

That is absolutely awesome! It's so good to see the 2 of you back on Hatrack.

Congratulations!

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
People acknowledge when they've been dating for six months (or at least the Prescott(valley)chinodeweyish, Arizona people do), so why not acknowledge marriage?

[Edit: Oops, and congrats!]

[ April 19, 2004, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for at least an attempt at fashioning a new word. It's aggravating in a grammar-ninny kind of way when people say they're celebrating their "N-month anniversary."
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to look at dating milestones the way you look at infant ages:

When you're still under three months, each week is strangely significant. After three months, each month matters. After a year and a half, only the years matter. And I'd imagine, in the same way that you kind of stop making a big deal about individual birthdays after 25, that only the five-year markers are really noticeable after the 25th anniversary.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this should be an easy one, especially for any Mormons on the board. "Every Six Months" is "Semi-annual", therefore the correct word would be "Semi-anniversary". [Smile]

Also, I'm inclined to agree with Tom D, except I think birthdays are something to celebrate every year. I just celebrate bigger on the 5 year marks.

(And I did something a little special for Chris at our 1, 2, 3, and 6 month marks, too. I'm going to have to especially creative for June 21st 'cause that's 1 year from the day we met.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It would indeed be "semi-anniversary." "Semiversary" would just mean something like "half-turning" or "returning halfly" or something else that doesn't really make sense.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, Jon Boy and I agree on what is technically correct. However, in a colloquial sense, I suppose you could say "semiversary" with the "anni" part assumed to be understood. And the fact that it's a shorter and cuter sounding word means it would likely be the more used term if Hallmark ever recongizes it as a greeting card category. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if Hallmark ever recongizes it as a greeting card category.
Please, no. The last thing we need is another card-buying holiday foisted on us by the greeting card industry.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for all of your comments... just a response to the grammatically correct comments...I'm blonde..well, platinum..who said that I ever made sense? I like colloquialisms, even when they are incorrect (you know like the annoying thought that all Massachusans really say "park the car in Harvard yard" with a complete lack of r's ....for those of you who don't know ..there is NO parking in Harvard Yard it is a pedestrian way) After that little side note, I will let You know that Kwea and I had a very nice picnic at a nearby park in the beautiful summer-like weather. [Cool]

[ April 19, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: JenniK ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all.....She loves to annoy me by inventing new words for her own private language, which I have named "jenispeak".

Also, I tried to tell her it would properly be a "semianniversary", but she shushed me! So having all of you chime in was particularily sweet... [Evil]

If she's this suprised after 6 months, I am worried about our actual anniversary....how much cornier can she get???
[Taunt]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And when you’re still in negative numbers you go goofily overboard looking for milestones to count.

For example – at 1:40pm central time today it will be exactly half a million minutes until the wedding. [Smile]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[ROFL] [ROFL]

That is only if the Bride is on time, which NEVER happens IRL...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Especially since, as noted in at least three recent threads, she refuses to wear a watch. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

may God ahve mercy on his soul...wait, that's the wrong service; well, close enough...

[Evil]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, I was in Harvard Yard the other day and specifically noted to myself the lack of parking [Smile]

Happy Semiversary!! [Big Grin]

(I like the word Semiversary!)

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That's because you're weird, myr....not that that is a bad thing.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy semiversary! [Big Grin]

My neighbor's birthday is my semi-birthday, uh.. you know what I mean.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.