FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How many times was someone raised from the dead in the Bible?

Author Topic: How many times was someone raised from the dead in the Bible?
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question concerning a story rolling around what I call my brain. How many times was someone raised from the dead in the Bible? Like, Lazarus or Jesus raised-from-the-dead. Pretty much any anomaly involving death.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Elijah raised the widow's son from the Dead. Jesus also raised the daughter of Jairus from the dead. Those are just off the top of my head. Power over death The bible references are first. Of course there is some overlap in the four gospels, but it isn't always total.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm- I believe that Enoch, Methusellah's father, Noah's grandfather, walked with God for 300 years. I don't remember what version of the Bible I was reading, but the text is one of my favorite.
"Enoch walked with God. At the end of one day, God said, "Enoch, we are closer to my home than to yours. And God took Enoch home with Him."

So Enoch was not raised from the dead, but he didn't die either.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Once.

I don't think anybody was raised from the dead more than once.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on which Bible you refer to, since there are different Bibles in existence. And even if you're just going by vanilla Christian bibles, would you count the Apocrypha? There are instances in those as well.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. See, I got this idea about Passover seen from the point of view of Death, and Death was kinda like a corporate lawyer... So I was wondering what kind've death anomalies happened in the Bible, so I could include it in some tangent contract.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL @ Icarus

[ROFL]

It took me a minute, Jose, it really did. But I did get it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Death was kinda like a corporate lawyer"

We see that comparison a lot, usually in reverse order though. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
There was this one guy, he had some Mexican name like Luis or Jesus or Ramon or something. If I remember right, a bunch of people beat him up and killed him and buried him and he came back from the dead. I might be mistaken, though.

Then there was the time that all those people got infected by a virus that killed them and brought them back to life as undead zombies to feast on the flesh of the living. That was in the Bible, right?

[ April 20, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Once.

I don't think anybody was raised from the dead more than once.

Well, if one wants to get doctrinal then the folks mentioned were/will be raised from the dead twice. The first time they were raised back to mortal life and so they will die again. The second time is the resurrection and they will not die again.
[Smile]

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive Jesus resurected a girl, and then ofcourse he himself was resurrected. Enoc, and all the others, i cannot really remember, got to get back to reading it in full and not just sticking to Apocalypse. I ony got to Exodus before I had to got to Apocalypse again... Its just my favourite chapter, so full of action and prophecies.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the story of Enoch is in Genesis.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.