FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your Hatrack turf? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's your Hatrack turf?
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Evil.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No it isn't.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
<--- agrees with T
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

The only people who don't have a turf are lurkers and those who read every single thread. If you skip threads, saying, that doesn't look interesting, then you have a turf. If you are all over certain threads, then they are your turf.

Jamie, you jump all over threads on mental health and children's issues. You also jump into threads about Catholicism. I'm not saying that's all, because I don't keep track of where everyone posts.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Another way to put it: What thread topics are virtually guaranteed to get a post from you?

[ April 22, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly not this one.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

[ROFL]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I do tend to post on threads that are *about* Hatrack -- plus all the other stuff that you all associate with me.

But I want to point out that it's not just a matter of turf. There are also MOs to consider. For instance, I'm the king of the backhanded compliment and the non-non sequitur. Papa Moose is the master of bringing a certain level of humanity, introspection and caution into controversial threads. John L. likes to question assumptions and evidence. TomD makes suggestive comments on fluff threads (sometimes), pulls out definitive references on pop culture threads [esp. speculative fiction ones], and is king of the pointed question on religious ones.

Icky often shows how personal experiences don't always match up with "theory" or abstract presecriptions on threads on parenting and public education and how policy and practice and real people come into conflict.

Etc. Etc.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to avoid threads that can potentially be controversial...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
I like to avoid threads that can potentially be controversial...
Hehe.

-o-

Interesting, Zal. And cool. I'll think about that. [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have astroturf.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being both likeable and unlikeablt simultaneously.

Seriously (as if the previous wasn't true), I don't know. I never asked. There's little I don't have something to run my mouth about. Does anyone who knows me know my "turf?"

John, I don't know what your turf is.

Heck, I don't know what my own turf is, either.

I don't think my turf is static. I post in whatever threads grab my eye. Thread titles influence my choice alot - I have sometimes gotten into an interesting thread late because the title didn't grab me or seem like something I would want to discuss. And time constraints often play into whether or not I post on a thread. Since I feel obligated to read every post on a thread before I post, I will tend to avoid threads that have gotten to multiple pages before I ever saw them, unless another Hatracker happens to direct me to them, or wants to discuss them with me.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Zal, are you a guy? I find it interesting that all the influential posters you described are guys.

I'm part of the bread of the Hatrack sandwich. You wouldn't know you were spicy if it wasn't for prude little pooka. I was recently dubbed most umbrageous jatraquero by Frisco. I'm not sure he has sole authority in that matter, but it's still nice to be a hatrack superlative.

Thread titles that are questions or implied questions draw me in. I also like religion, health, and language. StrongBad. I usually stay away from Tolkein, hugs, Last Post and music/lyrics, though I've been known to bump for a good cause.

I'll pull a Want2Write and say that as far as threads go, I either support them, disagree, or am indifferent.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I go where the whim wills.

That frequently happens to be in threads relating to parenting. If one must single parent, one couldn't ask for a better support system.

I trim rosebushes in the Wenches Tavern. Actually, all the yardwork I mean to do at home I do there, instead . . .

And just where has the Hatrack Principal thread disappeared to? I have a special SN just for that one . . .

Shan [Hat] (believe me, I'll get tired of inserting a smilEY long before the rest of you . . . )

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien, of course. Reading in general, if someone is asking for suggestions.

Chat, so I can talk to myr (and sundry others). Hatrack gatherings that I might be able to get to, and some that I just wish I could.

Mack: You are like a buffalo, wandering where you will... [Evil]

Kwea

[ April 23, 2004, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Thwpt.

[ April 23, 2004, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
My turf are flirting threads.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
And turning regular threads to flirting threads.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I was recently dubbed most umbrageous jatraquero by Frisco. I'm not sure he has sole authority in that matter, but it's still nice to be a hatrack superlative.

I don't know about most umbrageous, but you're certainly working on being the most whiniest.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka is the poster who regularly startles a laugh out of me. I love it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and all of Hatrack is my turf. [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Except the hug threads, which are ruled with a jello fist by rivka.

[ April 23, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. Now I have some Hatrack turf ground into my knee.

One thing I've learned about rugburns, especially on the knee...they are always worse than you think.

Another thing I've learned...when you are trying to remove carpet filaments with a tweezer, DO NOT grab a hair instead. *passes out*

<---really has a rugburn. [Frown]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much post solely for the sake of my own amusement. Which, I guess, makes me a watered down Frisco...

Hey Geoff, got any female cousins?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

[ROFL]

-Icarus [No No]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

quote:
Zal, are you a guy?
Define guy.

I do like to watch football and eat Doritos. But I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] jello fist
Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Medical, mostly, but also Hellos to newbies, the Buffyverse, Leonard Cohen lyics, and especially the healthcare system misnomer.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly hang out in the hug and last post threads. The only serious threads I routinely post in are landmark threads and threads about depression.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I read bits and pieces of everything, but only post when I have something to say that hasn't been said yet. And that only seems to happens in fluff threads.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee,

I post in Buffy et al threads, Star Trek threads, some science threads, disability-related threads, bioethics/medicine threads.

Not much for gaming or religion threads as I don't have much to offer on the topics. Although I will read some of the religion threads on occasion.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread titles and who started them really do tend to influence my turf. [Blushing]

I stay out of political threads and most chatty threads, but enjoy threads where I learn more about the people I identify with here at Hatrack. I tend to post when what someone has written has touched me or made me think (but not where I would feel intimidated by others more thought-out opinions).

Subjects tend to vary -- books, science/nature, parenting are probably me-topics. I still lurk more than not, though.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally post in fluff threads- specifically the ones including games and/or puzzles. I lurk in all kinds of random threads. Threads that have more than 30 or so posts in them before I get a chance to read are normally ignored, since by then there's nothing new for me to add and I don't feel like reading that much. I also spend a lot of time reading the threads on the other board, but I only post on and off over there.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
My turf used to be just about everything, but now that I'm confined to a library computer I'm much more choosy.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I post only in fluff. Even in serious threads I turn them to fluff.

FLUFF
FLUUFFFFFYYYY
FLUFF

Unless it's about abortion, death penalty, gay marriage, politics or cars.

When I really want to be fluffy, I post as my aliases.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
So you're OSC-Fan!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
But Bob... doesnt that make you a FLUFFER? [Eek!]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.