FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you a poet? or a writer?

Author Topic: Are you a poet? or a writer?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Poets die younger than writers, study finds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Poets die young -- younger than novelists, playwrights and other writers, a U.S. researcher said Wednesday.

It could be because poets are tortured and prone to self-destruction, or it could be that poets become famous young, so their early deaths are noticed, said James Kaufman of the Learning Research Institute at California State University at San Bernardino.

..more...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I used to wish I could summon flowery poetry more often in my writing. Now I'm kinda glad I can't.

[ April 22, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
"Haven't you got poet or something like that?"
"Now you see the trouble with poet is how do you know it's deceased? Try the priest!"

Yeah, I've listened to too much Sweeney Todd this week. Actually, thoae lyrics just pops into my head whenever I hear the word "poet" anyway, so whatever. Carry on.

[ April 22, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Ophelia ]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I tend to like poets who actually did live to a ripe old age. Frost. Milton. Stuff like that. I think you can get a lot of wisdom from old poets.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a bunch of Swinburne, so I'm not surprised.

But I'll recite some Monty Python for everyone's pleasure.

Poets are both clean and warm
and most are far above the norm.

Whether here or on the roam
You should have a poet in every home.

[ April 22, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worth noting that poets make considerably less money. I wonder if they factored for that as a variable.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- neither poet nor writer
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's because they've all written such perfect little poems for their gravestones and are eager to use them.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm...so perhaps that faint and haunting suspicion I'll die young has some validity...and sad to say, yes I have thought about different potentials for an epitaph...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more of a lover.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I don't think they go gently.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somehow, I don't think they go gently.

you're right...they rage, rage against the dying of the light!

(sorry...felt compelled to...for the record I hated that poem and disagreed with it immensely)

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Why?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's an essentially selfish poem, I agree. I still love it.

[ April 22, 2004, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

I tend to accept death and I've seen what it does to cling to life too strongly and how that destroys people...so a poem encouraging fighting death when it is imminent tends to annoy me
katharina
Member # 827

But the poem isn't to the universe, it's to his father...

I think Dorothy Parker may be more of what you're looking for.

[ April 22, 2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

no...it isn't to the universe at all, but it states it in a universal manner...it gives no reason to struggle against death, besides that it is death, implying a universal standard that his father should follow
katharina
Member # 827

It's a selfish, desperate plea. The persuasive element is not the absent corresponding reasons, but that the speaker is asking. It is a personal appeal. He isn't playing on reason or fear; he's appealing to love.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

and in his appeal to love he fails to show love for his father...he disregarded what his father may be feeling physically, emotionally, and spiritually and made himself the centre of the universe and all that matters...he is appealing to love without returning it...
katharina
Member # 827

Yep. It was a desperate, selfish plea. Kids do that.

Especially if they think they could stay if they just tried hard enough.

[ April 22, 2004, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

*wanders off muttering something about a hatred of angsty poetry...*
*has made a vow to stop writing angst and to destroy it when I do write it, pre-this thread*

DEEP DESPAIR
Member # 4838

- posted      Profile for DEEP DESPAIR           Edit/Delete Post 
Lead me away, Death
Take me home
Let me sleep
Let me go.

For there's nothing so frightening
as the dark unknown.

So lead me away, Death.
Take me home.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B166ER
Member # 6380

- posted      Profile for B166ER   Email B166ER         Edit/Delete Post 
me no write, me live forever
Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm sure we'd all remember Dylan Thomas as fondly if he wrote a poem called "Hurry up and die, already."

Perhaps we'd prefer St. Vincent Millay? "I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because a mention of Edna St. Vincent Millay deserves a quote:
quote:
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!

-First Fig
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Niether. How long do I live now? [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
hobbes,

was that a BR ref in your last post?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I'm sure we'd all remember Dylan Thomas as fondly if he wrote a poem called "Hurry up and die, already."

[ROFL]

Tom, you've really been cracking me up the past few days.

FarmGirl, you beat me to it! [Cool] I haven't been posting interesting links lately, but when I saw this one I thought it would be worth posting.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because poets don't usually make enough money to remain healthy, because writing poetry is a lot less likely to be met with success in life than writing.

And, of course, the ratio of wannabes to real in both fields is about 100 to 1. This means a lot of... well, it means a lot of overdrama.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.