FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zyprexa - Need Information

Author Topic: Zyprexa - Need Information
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Like, can I still have a beer?

Chocolate is out.

Or any candy.

[Mad]

I'm reduced to carrot sticks. *Sob*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

And I'm assuming you were told to stay away from sweets because someone told you Zyprexa will make you fat.

They're right.

[ April 22, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Shan. AIM. or email.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Just e-mailed, mack - no AIM.

(Cowers)

Don't hit me! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*stab*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

ouch.

Shan [Hat] (I keep forgetting to do that . . . hmmm)

Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
The general rule of thumb is that you should avoid alcohol with olanzapine (Zyprexa).

When starting olanzapine, the doctor will increase your dose over time until the desired results are achieved. Once the desired dose is "found", wait 6 to 8 weeks and talk to your doctor about wether ethanol would be acceptable in moderate amounts.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I react very oddly to atypical antipsychotics. 10mg of Zyprexa had me sleep LITERALLY for 32 hours. I went to sleep on Tuesday and woke up on Thursday. o_O
Shan
Member # 4550

It's an antipsychotic?

[Eek!]

The doctor thinks a low dose will help me sleep and I would know if it will work in just a few days (the few days doesn't surprise me since I react strongly to most meds).

32 hours, mack?????? Good thing I decided not to start this PM - I have to be up at 4:30 for a business trip. Sigh. Oh - I emailed a response. More info than you probably wanted, but heck - take what you need and leave the rest . . . [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

Shan, I react very very strongly to any medications that cause sedation. My psychiatrist has been quite amazed by it. Even the meds that aren't supposed to cause a lot of sedation have made me sleep for 14 hours. So don't base your reaction to it on mine.

And I just replied.

Shan
Member # 4550

Thanks, mack - sent a reply to your query.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, 10mg made dramatic changes, but one of them was sedation to the point of feeling borderline catatonic. If I wasn't a naturally high-metabolism skinny nerd the weight gain would have been horrendous, as well. But there's no denying the antipsych properties.

No longer on that dosage, but I drink alky and eat lots of sugar (fruits; artificial candy has always given me headaches). I'm not the model of patient compliance, but life goes on in relative harmony.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

You're also a paragon of hope! [Smile]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan,

What's this all about, if you don't mind my asking?

mike

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

You may.

Shan [Hat]

fallow
Member # 6268

What's this all about? This is not related to the driveway accident is it?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I e-mailed you.

And yes.

fallow
Member # 6268

oh, ok. thanks. (will read later, I'm really quite crippled with the connection and old laptop I'm utilizing to squander my evenings).

that doesn't sound good, though. you're not still having that dizziness?

fallow

Shan
Member # 4550

not much change from before except I'm worn out with it -

well, I'm off to attempt the lure of slumber -

fallow
Member # 6268

good night.
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I react very oddly to atypical antipsychotics. 10mg of Zyprexa had me sleep LITERALLY for 32 hours. I went to sleep on Tuesday and woke up on Thursday. o_O
That sounds like me when I was put on Depekote for my seizures. They started me out at 1500 mg on the get go and I was sleeping 20 out of every 24 hours for the first week on it. My companion at the time finally called the doc and told them of the situation and they cut me to 500 mg and increased to 1500 over a 6 week period.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

They STARTED you on 1500 mg?! [Eek!]
Shan
Member # 4550

So, mack - I took 2.5 mg at 9:00 p.m. and was still zombie-like at 2:00 p.m. the next afternoon.

Guess I'll toss those puppies away.

Jeesh.

mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]

Ask the doc 'bout what I mentioned to you.

Shan
Member # 4550

Will do!

*Shakes head while sipping Sleepytime tea*

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that doctor as in psychiatrist?
If not, I STRONGLY suggest that you find another physician.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Aspectre,

why do you say that?

fallow

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They STARTED you on 1500 mg?!
Yup. 1500 on the get-go. Talk about a Zombie, I was (what little time I was awake that is...)
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, fallow, forgot to come back to this thread. Here is a bit of reading concerning drug companies fraudulently encouraging unqualified physicians to use prescription drugs for unapproved purposes, which is only the tip of the iceberg.

Popping this up, and back later.

[ May 18, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

mmm...

quote:
profit-driven deceit
there's a shocker.

Thanks for posting that.

fallow

Shan
Member # 4550

Hey! I e-mailed you a question, Mike -
fallow
Member # 6268

shan,

right. answering...

mike

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.