FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ryuko and dkw no longer Rocky Virgins

Author Topic: Ryuko and dkw no longer Rocky Virgins
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
But I took them to a theatrical production, not the movie, so does it count?

And Bob, we didn't talk about you at all.

And Ryuko said I was just a little creepy! So I need to work on it before I meet her mom....

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the idea behind a theatrical showing of Rocky. How hard would it be to just project the movie behind the actors, like the real friggin' productions do it?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Um, the set would get in the way. It was a pretty cool set. And Ryuko pointed out it was actually a play first, before the movie. [Razz]

Edit: But you probably know that and I'm being gullible again.

[ April 22, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My memories of my first and only viewing are not very clear. The event was mainly connected with hanging out with a hot guy. Alas, my love for him continued unrequited for yet a long while.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy vey. Maybe it's just me thinking like me, but I definetely wasn't thinky of the show Rocky.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about.

- Oscar Wilde

I can't believe you found a theatrical production. That's great! I hope they did a good job. I absolutely love the songs in that show.

And Tom...LOL. I think.
You are joking, right?

[ROFL]

So...what did dkw and Ryuko think of the show?

And why did she say you are creepy? I don't remember thinking you were creepy. Did I miss something? Darn.

[ April 22, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky Horror Picture Show...

It's just a jump to the left

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn my dry Midwestern wit. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yeah, really. I still don't get it.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I said she was "a little" creepy, because she was staring at me with these big huge eyes and grinning predatorially. O_o;

The show was awesome. The actors blew my mind and of course, Dana's brother was there adding audience participation. He and a guy sitting about four o'clock from me were the only ones shouting crap. It was the excellent. I guess you could call me a virgin, technically, despite the fact that I've seen the movie on the small screen about a hundred times (not the same, I know) and performed a lip sync to the Time Warp with a large group of my friends for our school talent show. So I'm well versed in the show, albeit not the shouting part of it. (sadness)

Of course, about halfway through the show I realized that there was a woman over 50 to my left, a minister to my right, and three seats away, a ten-year-old boy. [Angst] But I decided not to let that bother me. [Razz]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

They did a fabulous job. I covet many of the wardrobe items and a couple of props. It was very well done... and well cast.

It was at the U... and I didn't find it, we went with the Theater of the Month group from my church.

Edit: *giggle* My eyes aren't that big. The grin I'll give you. [Wink]

Oh, and the guy at 4:00 was a theater employee. The one in the kilt who took our tickets.

[ April 22, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, back to the original question.

No, the play does NOT count. You need Sly, girls, and that is all there is to it.

"Aaaaaaadrieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeene!!!!!"

[ April 22, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*shrug* I've been to the movie version, so the question is purely a curiousity as far as I'm concerned.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, never mind, it wasn't Rocky after all.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Ohhh. The kilt guy. He rocked. I saw him outside the theater and said to myself. KILT. Awesome.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Nice ponytail too, hmmmmmm? *waggleseyebrows*
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Smile] Oh yeah. Although guys with long hair aren't strictly my thing.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Big Grin]

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

I'm not sure that 10 is an acceptable age for that show, but I assume the boy's mother was there too. Hmm...

Oh, Rocky!

Brad!

Janet!

LOL...

I must be the only person on the planet who lacks a real appreciation for the audience participation aspect of that show. I mean, I enjoy the jokes that people shout out, and dancing along to the Time Warp is nearly impossible to avoid. But still, when I first saw the show it was in the original theatrical release of the movie and nobody was doing all that stuff. I still remember it that way and loved it.

Also, I hate missing dialog or lyrics because of audience noise, so the audience participation stuff is sometimes annoying to me.

But...having seen the movie again a year or so ago, I have to admit that it lacks a certain something. It sort of begs for real-time lampooning just to make sitting through it multiple times more appealing. I suppose after seeing it a dozen times or so, I'd be interested in it only to shout stuff at the screen too.

Silly movie, really.

But the songs...

The same guy wrote another play that also had excellent songs (as I recall), but didn't do anywhere near as well. It never developed a cult following and has, sadly, disappeared from the Earth.

I still find the first song that Riff Raff sings to be among the best ever written. It comes on teh heals of the "There's a Light" intro that Brad & Janet sing and I think it's just perfect...

And Tim Curry was so amazingly funny in the movie version...

So, ...

Come up to the lab
And see...
What's on the slab...

I see you shiver with antici-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
pation...

[ROFL]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Oh yeah. Although guys with long hair aren't strictly my thing.
Hmm...

And just what IS your thing?

<tosses hair in a huff!>

ElJay
Member # 6358

Bob, I told you, we're not talking about you... [Big Grin]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Sorry, Bob. It just hasn't been the same since I found out you were taken. [Frown] [Cry] [Wink]

Also, the other musical that Richard O'Brien wrote was called Shock Therapy, I believe, and made into a movie with a few of the same actors and the same types of characters.

[ April 22, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I figured that from the kilt thing.

If you ever see me in a kilt, as soon as your eyesight returns to normal, dial 911 and have me taken back to the home.

Oh, that and the fact that I wasn't even there. Dead give away.

But still, on behalf of all long-haired guys everywhere...<flip>

[Razz]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Also, I hate missing dialog or lyrics because of audience noise, so the audience participation stuff is sometimes annoying to me."

You don't mean to say that you mind missing the dialogue to the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

*blink*

I would say that the whole point of the movie is to miss the dialogue.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Dana likes kilts. She made one for one of my boyfriends once. Maybe she'll make you one, too.

[ April 23, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I guess if Dana made me a kilt, I would model it for her, privately,
once.

Tom, what can I say, I like the movie.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm.. Tim Curry!

Rocky Horror is definitely one of my favorite movies. I've only seen it acted out once (with movie playing behind, not pure theatrical).

I think the first time I saw it I was around 15? I don't remember what I knew of it beforehand, but I watched it on TV alone in my parents' room from start to finish. Loved it ever since.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine the audience participation at a stage production being the same intensity as at the movie -- was it?

I mean -- that is the predominate feature/draw of the whole cult following -- the audience participation! Did they bring newspapers, and lighters and the entire thing?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I've got to admit that I would find it considerably harder to heckle someone performing the play than I would someone merely mimicing the action on screen. I have no idea why.
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, do you mean the Time Warp song or the part where Riff is singing up in the window ("Dark-ness must flow down the river...")?

Oh, and Shock Treatment is complete crap, with the exception of one song (can't remember the name) and the voice of the woman who plays Janet. There's a reason Curry refused to be any part of it.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
They very much encouraged the audience participation. You could buy packs in the lobby that had newspapers, tp, confetti, and such (glow sticks instead of lighters, though.) And one page of the program had some of the response lines printed. Plus, I think the kilt guy was a plant.

Re: kilts -- ElJay, I didn't make your boyfriend that kilt because I like them. Bob already knows my particular clothes fetish, and that ain't it. (Come to think of it, half of Hatrack knows. You must have missed that thread. [Razz] )

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, the kilt guy was totally a plant. But even though they encouraged audiance participation, there weren't very many people there who knew the lines. I was glad we had bPw. [Smile]

I was wondering if they had brought in people during dress rehersal, so the actors would be aclimatized to people shouting at them.

And dkw, shhhhhhh. I know that's not why you made the kilt... spoil all my fun. Yes, I missed your clothing fetish thread, but I'm sure I know anyway.... that one's never been a secret.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I absolutely loved the songs in the show
Um. . . Eye of the Tiger was a great tune and all, but somehow I didn't picture you as a Survivor fan.

I don't really remember any other musical bits from Rocky.

[ April 23, 2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.