FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Changing your name to avoid a landmark at the x,0000 mark (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Changing your name to avoid a landmark at the x,0000 mark
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, people should not demand landmarks from those at a certain post count.

People should not feel compelled to change their nicks to avoid landmarks at the x,000 mark.

Just do landmarks when you feel like it.

Thank you.

[Wave]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
the x000 or the x0000?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- not avoiding anything
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah.
I can't begin to describe to you people how annoying I find the ridiculous name changes.

Landmarks are NOT mandatory. If you don't have something to say when you hit one, DON'T WRITE ONE. For that matter, if you HAVE something to say, DON'T WAIT FOR A NUMBER WITH A BUNCH OF ZEROS AFTER IT.

[ April 23, 2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm really not avoiding anything! [Eek!]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Except me. *wink wink*
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

[Cry]

Tom yelled at me. [Frown]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon, I have to agree. I think people can write a landmark, if they so desire, at whatever postcount they are up to at the time.

The flip side of the "changing your name" syndrome: Some people told me they were refraining from posting on several threads I started (and would have liked their input on) cause they were working up to a landmark post, and didn't want to pass the x000 number before they were ready to post the landmark.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I DO see your point. I suppose tradition has begun to calcify into 'rules.'

In any case, I wanted this screen name for the LotR Wenches thread, anyway.

I don't think I will ever write a 'landmark' thread, though I have felt a bit of pressure to do so. *shrug*

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree, Storm.

-Icarus [No No]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except me. *wink wink*
That's because you stalk me. I'm afraid of stalkers.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom and Storm, although I certainly don't care enough about it to yell at anybody. If I ever do write a landmark thread, and it falls on some round number of posts, it will be completely coincidental.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, but if you post the landmark on a non-round number, please identify it. Unless I'm viewing Hatrack at the time it's posted, I have to go through some effort to find out what number it was. I like to be accurate.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
(hey, Olivia, it's this --I-- finger)
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Moose--I'll include the word "Landmark" in the thread title.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

Makes sense to me that the "Landmark Post" evolved out of members feeling the need to say something when they cross a significant marker like 1,000 or 4,000 or 13 Billion posts. It doesn't mean that the 999th post or the 1001st post are less meaningful chronologically, but just as your 21st, 30th, 40th & 50th birthdays tend to have special significance and are thought of as "milestones" or "landmarks", there's nothing wrong with taking ownership of this Hatrack tradition and feeling compelled to share something of yourself beyond your Hatrack norm.

I have two SNs anyway, so I was able to switch while I geared up for 4,000. True, I could have made the post at a 4,027 count, but then it wouldn't have been a "Landmark", it would have been I-feel-like-being-extra-open-with-you-guys-for-no-particular-reason.

But it's a fairly new and loose tradition. You can do whatever you want with it. You probably won't see me do any more landmarks at all (though I admit that, were I ever to reach 10,000 posts, I would probably want to make note of it in some way--here's hoping I never become THAT much of a loser [Smile] )

If you're just interested in not causing Tom the considerable grief he experiences on account of extra SNs, you might want to consider searching for older posts by you and deleting irrelevant ones while you are getting ready to make your post. Or just landmark whenever you want to.

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Psst...Caleb...Deleting posts doesn't change your post count.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
It used to! I swear!

Are you sure?

Wait... lemme double post to find out.

Edit: Wow, it sure doesn't change the number anymore. It used to, though, back when post counts were only displayed in the member profile pages rather than the bottom of every post.

Hm.

[ April 23, 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to have added to your annoyance, Tom...

well, not really, but it seemed the polite thing to say [Razz]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Keats, it didn't. Even back then, there was no way to turn back the post count.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always said that there was no need to wait for a special number to do a landmark, or to do a landmark at all. But there is something nice to round numbers. They say that you've been around for a while. So I have personally made the choice to use a round number. I personally don't want to do one every thousand posts--though, again, there's nothing wrong with other people making a different choice. But five-thousand seems like a nice number. I want to do a second landmark because I want to show other sides of myself than I did in my first one. My first one was very dark. I also think that there are people I've developed online relationships with since I posted that first one, and it would gratify me to share something new with them. I stopped using icarus when I hit 4999 to save that number for the landmark, for whenever I get around to writing it all. That was actually a while ago. My switch to Megachirops was not based on landmark-avoidance. It's more indicative of my general snarky mood lately. I think the world of Tom, but I don't much care if he finds it annoying or silly or immature. I don't post for him; I post for myself. (See? I told you I was feeling snarky. Or maybe just aggressive.)

-Icarus [No No]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same bag, but mine's going to be # 5050.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Unmaker! *tackle-hug

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Sorry to have added to your annoyance, Tom...

well, not really, but it seemed the polite thing to say

::Eyes Jim-Me suspiciously::

Just who are you, anyway? [Eek!]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I debated if I wanted to do that myself. When I got to post 998, I switched to a different name. But then I decided to forget it, and kept posting with no landmark. I just don't have anything interesting to say. [Dont Know]

[ April 23, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I admit that while I don't necessarily find it annoying, I find it kind of silly to change your name just to avoid tripping over a number with your landmark. But, you know, if it makes someone happy to post a landmark at a specific number, far be it from to stand in their way.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
::whistles innocently::

I want to post a landmark for my 1000th because waaaaaaay back in 2001, I said to myself "I'm going to post a landmark for my 1000th".

Well, back then I thought I'd get there a lot sooner. But, I'm still going to do it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. My alternate nick of Procrastination worked well for a while, but as time went on, I figured something with Cow in it would be less confusing.

So, I'll post my landmark at 1000, despite what you grumps say. [Razz] And I'm gonna stand right here on your lawn when I do it. [Evil]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Evil Laugh]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I was all gung ho to make a landmark and even went so far as to write one. But then I realized that I had 1000 posts without ever starting a thread and why ruin my streak now?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again I'll point out that if it weren't for folks like me, there would be no one to make you look sensible by comparison.

edit: Egregious dangling participle.

[ April 23, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted my first landmark at 10,000. It probably won't happen again, although I'm mildly amused at the thought of a "Dating Adventures by Katie" thread.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see myself ever coming up with another screen name - for any reason. I have a complicated life and it's nice to keep a few things simple. [Smile]

I don't really care what other people do - although I kind of appreciate it when people identify themselves when they start posting under a new screen name.

I managed to do my first landmark right at number 1000 - it felt right as it was also close to being an anniversary date. I have a feeling that number 2000 will come up faster than 1000, and I'll probably just slide by that number.

But that's me - y'all do as you please. It's one thing that everyone here is really good at. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob the Lawyer said:
See, I was all gung ho to make a landmark and even went so far as to write one. But then I realized that I had 1000 posts without ever starting a thread and why ruin my streak now?

Oh, I'm sure there'd be several generous souls who would donate a used thread for you to post it in. If I ever started threads (I think I've started 2), I'd give you one of mine, but now I bet they've all been pruned.

[ April 23, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
*not sure she'll get to 100 posts, let alone 1,000 ... *
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I slid past 2000 already, much faster than I got to 1000. If it hadn't been exam time I'd have written one (I know the topic already).

Now I'll wait for some round number and post it then.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I first created a backup to avoid 3,000, simply because I hadn't decided whether or not I was going to post one then. I didn't. But I remember going for a few days without posting anything so that my 1,000th would be my 1,000th, and I wouldn't really want to do that again. I understand Tom's point, but I figure it's gotta be up to each individual. Most of us recognize that post count in the long run (or even the short run) is pretty darn unimportant. So why does it matter if it's accurate?

Besides, Tom, if people always used their original screennames, you might only be third or even fourth highest post count. Then how would you feel?

[Wink] j/k

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
since the post count updates, wouldn't it be possible to post your landmark on an off number and nobody catch the difference?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not around here. People notice everything.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I understand Tom's point, but I figure it's gotta be up to each individual."

Oh, I agree.

It's empirically lame, but each individual has the freedom to be as lame as he or she wants. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, I am T. Analog Kid. I hit 2112 posts and decided that was a mandatory spot to retire that user name.

See, the name is a Rush song and Rush's breakthrough album was "2112" and so...

...well, it makes sense to Ralphie, I bet...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll do one on my 5529th post to match my member number. Or maybe I won't.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but even waiting for the Ultimately Cool Digit Configuration Extravaganza! of 2112 apparently has to go up against being EMPIRICALLY LAME (according to Tom) in cool points.

I'm not sure how you'll come out on the Cool Charts.

It's so intense!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

[ROFL]
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I only did one landmark at 6,000, but it was a sort of almost roughly 6.000 or so kinda 6, 000, and not exactly 6,000. Cause I have ak, revived because it's the lowest member number I have, plus aka which is the one I've posted most on (and had gone a few past 5,000 on it before I realized) and also ana kata. I'm not even sure approximately how many posts I have now cause I haven't checked.

It's weird that though I will tell anyone anything individually, I'm very open like that, one on one, yet I feel quite shy about posting things about me for the world to see. So I sent pictures of me to all my friends, but it was a long long time before I would put any on foobonic, for instance. Even the landmark I did turned out to be about the history I have seen, and was not nearly as personal as I think the best landmarks usually are. I'm just shy. If I do another one, it will probably be a long time from now, maybe 12k or 20k or something.

I've got no feeling that it has to be on the exact number or anything like that. But the trigger usually is some number of thousand posts, I guess. I find all alternate names confusing, but I don't really mind being confused. [Smile] I apologize to those I don't recognize. I'm not good at knowing who is whom. I think identity is one of those very strange things we think we understand but don't. Am I really the same person when I post as ana kata? Is there in fact anything tangible meant by the concept of me? Is that something real or is it purely fiction? I don't have any idea about these questions.

[ April 23, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoided a landmark around 2000 for a while, and then I decided not to do one and just sorta gave up on it. I have one in the works for 3000... But that's because there's something I really want to say and that I really want to show you people. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with SS.

I learned more in 5 posts than I did in the subsequent 500 (fictious numbers used to illustrate point). Subsequently, I've learned more in x+0 to x+10, than in the previous x-500.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like how in the landmark archive, my landmarks are listed as "Narnia's 1,008th" and "Narnia's 2,323rd" or something like that. I didn't put a number in my landmark, but it was important to me that they still be viewed by you guys as 'official,' so I made sure Papa Moose could see that they were landmarks. So for me, the post count isn't important, but the landmark for the sake of a landmark is. I think we all just have different ways of saying the same thing. [Smile]

[ April 24, 2004, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia,

Would you do me a favor?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, as long as it has nothing to do with emoticon usage in my posts. [Big Grin]

(sorry, I'm paranoid as of late.)

[ April 24, 2004, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.