FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pat Tillman, former NFL player, killed in Afghanistan

Author Topic: Pat Tillman, former NFL player, killed in Afghanistan
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Article...

I am not sure why this news is affecting me so strongly. The best I can say is that it puts a face to those many who are killed defending my freedom.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading that article gave me goose bumps, several times. It's refreshing to see an article about a professional athelete who is humble, caring, not motivated by money alone, and all in all leads a good life. It is a shame that such an individual died fighting for a cause he believed in.

I just realized something. My first thoughts as I was reading was, "man, I wish more pro athletes posessed the same character that this guy did." Not because he chose to join the military--I understand that there are many good people who are not soldiers, myself included--but because he seemed to be driven by a sense of honor from within. I then realized that there are such athletes, and they aren't hard to find. I would even say that the majority of athletes are good, decent human beings. But just as the nation's view of Catholic priests is shaped by the monsters who molest children, rather than the 95% who are God-fearing men, our view of pro atheletes is likewise tainted by the media coverage given to the selfish ones.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he is heaven. Afterall, he did die fighting for us... [Frown]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
<raises glass of water>
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a stand out with Arizona State and a solid starter for the Cardinals. ESPN has done a feature on him, and the NFL Forums are littered w/tributes to a man that seems more in common w/the greatest generation (men like Ted Williams, who served in TWO wars) than idiots like Simeon Rice who dismissed his (temporary?) retirement as the actions of a player who "wasn't that good anyway...[and]...probably watched too many Rambo movies."

Tillman's a hero, and prayers go out to his family and friends and the Cardinals Family on this tragic day. And of course thoughts and prayers go out to the rest of the troops as well.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
"Bring it on."

We should have seen it coming.
Although I did not.
It made me sad and angry,
when I logged on and saw
that Mr. Tillman died.

Godspeed, Pat.
Godspeed.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with all that wrong with professional sports, it's too bad a great guy like this had to be the one to die. Earlier this week, a St. Louis Blues center was arrested for a murder-for-hire plot. Sports is filled with too many of those stories and not enough like Tillman's. Tillman turned down over 9 million dollars from the Rams in order to stay with his "home team." Then he turned down 3.5 million to join the Army Rangers with his brother.

Sad.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.