FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Having Trojan Issues....

Author Topic: Having Trojan Issues....
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
AVG Resident Shield (my virus scanner) keeps on popping up a message saying"

quote:
Virus
Trojan horse Dropper.Small.4.AG

is found in file
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{6E-longwindednumber}\RP16\A0000567.exe

To remove this virus, please run AVG for Windows

So I run AVG and it finds nothing.

I've tried to find the .exe file listed, but even searching for hidden files and folders it finds nothing...

So how the heck do I get rid of this?!?

--

On a side note, it feels very weird to be a newbie at something again! After years of Mac sysadmin work I'm not used to computer problems I don't know how to solve!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or that he got the wrong size.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, ROFL [Big Grin]

You can navigate to that directory and delete the file...or at least, you should be able to.

[ April 23, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Tstorm ]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Windows has a feature that I find very stupid called "System Restore". It simply undeletes files that are "critical" (which means the virus fooled windows into thinking that it's a critical file) to the operation of the operating system. If you find that happens, right click on my computer, then hightlight and click "properties". Then click the "System Restore" tab and diable on the screen that opens after clicking the tab. You probably don't have to do all that, but the information could come in handy if you do.

Also, if it says the file is write-protected or in use, you might have to boot up in safe mode. Windows XP did away with that. Normally, you just press F8 at the bootup when your BIOS specs show up, but in XP you have to go to Help and Support>System Configuration Utility>and set it to the lowest possibly bootup configuration so that file won't be in use. Then you can mercilessly delete that sucker! [Evil]

[ April 23, 2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
TStorm,

That's what I thought to - but the directory isn't visible in my C: drive, nor is it findable using the Search facility, even when searching for hidden files & folders.

The System Restore looks like a good option to keep in mind, but sounds a too much possibility of a total screw up to try it just yet.... [Wink]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You aren't allowed to use "trojan" and "screw" in the same thread.

Ever.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the exact same thing as Mack.... [Blushing]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I got some kind of weird virus once, and before I got it eradicated, it ate up all my stored email messages.

I stored my sent messages on my hard drive. And some special messages I wanted to save.

The virus ate them. I lost every message I sent to my father, and the messages he sent to me.

Yes, I know I should back up, I know, I know - I just didn't, and I lost them all.

I'm still sad. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
System Restore is only stupid if you've never had to restore a system to get it working right again. It's a life-saver when you have to do such a thing (especially on business-critical machines).

But yes, it's a System Restore issue. You need to turn it off, run AVG, then turn it back on to solve your problem.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.