FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 Reasons Why LOTR Sucks (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 50 Reasons Why LOTR Sucks
20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm releived to know that this thread is about the Movies and not LOTR in general.
*unclenches fists*

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe anyone would even want to write anthing about "LOTR sucks". For a parody, its stupid. If you're going to write a parody, at least write a good one, else don't mess with it.Just like a whole bunch of people have said it, ITS A FREAKIN' MAGICAL WORLD!!!!!!
What part of MAGICAL WORLD don't these people understand??!!!
That thing about Gandalf's beard beign burnt by the BALROG, is completely out of the question. Instead of making stupid parodies, and stupid opinions, read the freaking book, and get this idea into your feeble-minded self:
GALDALF is an extremely powerful WIZARD, who by the way, was J.K. ROWLING'S, and many other authors', INSPIRATION FOR DUMBLEDORE, and other characters, and if GANDALF had been living and had survived Middle Earth, a MAGICAL WORLD, FOR MORE THAN 5OO0 YEARS, YOU REALLY THINK A FREAKIN FIRE-BREATHIN' LIZARD WAS GOING TO FINISH OFF HIS BEARD THAT EASILY??!!!!

OH YEAH, AND WHOEVER THE HELL WROTE THIS WAS CLEARLY UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF SOMETHING:
quote:
13. Did someone say plot hole?
Liv Tyler's character is seen easily defeating nine strong supernatural beings, even though she is clearly a woman.

WELL, I'M A WOMAN, AND GUESS WHAT??!!! I CAN BEAT UP PRETTY MUCH ANY FREAKIN' GUY THAT WANTS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME BECAUSE I'M A WOMAN, SUPERNATURAL OR NOT.
IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, THEN SHOW YOUR FREAKIN' ASS AT MY DOOR, AND I'LL SHOW YOU PROOF ENOUGH.
ALSO, WHOEVER SAID THIS:
quote:
In FOTR, if you watch closely during the Inn scene, Frodo and his crew are shown getting stabbed by the Ring Wraiths. Then, five seconds later, they are fine again. Note to the director: try proofreading your movie before you release it to the public.
ITS NOT AN "IF YOU WATCH CLOSELY" THING, ITS MEANT TO BE FREAKIN' OBVIOUS!!!!!! ITS A THING CALLED SUSPENSE. SUSPENSE . GOT THAT??!! NOW, MY DEAR, IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY, THERES A WHOLE BUNCH OF FEATHERS OF THE PILLOWS PLACED TO FOOL THE WRAITHS INTO THINKING THAT THEY WERE IN BED, BUT NOT THAT THEY HAD KILLED THEM.

NEXT TIME YOU TRY MAKIN FUN OF A WOMAN, OR TRY TO BELITTLE HER IN ANY WAY, BE PREPARED TO MEET MY FIST. BE PREPARED TO BEG [Hail] FOR MERCY.
FOR NOW, JUST BE QUITE IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING WORTHWHILE FOR US TO READ. [Mad]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Because OMG TEHY CANT MAKE FUN OF LOTR OMG WTF LOL!!!!1

If it had been real, instead of parody, would you have punched a whole in your computer desk? Would you have written to the editor of your local paper? Would it have been the thing that made you realize you need to use your superpowers for good, and finally pushed you to fight crime in Gotham City?

Angst is such a useful tool.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
what the hell was that Ralph???
Ever heard of "GRAMMAR SCHOOL"??!! Or maybe that very useful book called "Webster's".
And, yes, if it had been an article in the local newspaper, I would've made sure that they got the messege that "a good parody is better than a stupid, and very irrelevant, bad parody".
I'm not saying that a parody is wrong, but it is if its got a whole bunch of irrelevant crap in it.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the list was kind of dumb. I've seen funnier Parodies.

But the responses on this thread are hilarious.

It's only a book, guys. Breathe.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

To me, this isn't just any book. Its an EPIC. the best epic I've ever read. Its inspired my own stories, and with out it, there would be no Harry Potter, no dungeons and dragons, no evil orcs, Alvin Maker wouldn't have had dreamt the LOTR plot, none of that would've been. And most important to me, it wouldn't have stimulated my imagionation the way it has. Oh the dreams I have, the stories I live day to day...I hate to disagree with you, but no. LOTR is not JUST a book.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Breathe, young lady... breathe...

It's gonna be allright, really.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked his Star Wars vs. LotR vs. Matrix comparison

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/trilogy.html

quote:
From Jackson's insulting portrayal of women - Legolas is reduced to simplistic, mindless interjections ("a diversion!") and decorating the scenery with her beauty - to his dwarf who, in every single sentence, mentions the fact that he is a dwarf, Jackson's cast of characters is a group one would long to never meet in real life.
[Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
"Calvin, it's only a game."

"I know, you should see me when I lose in real life."

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
As Hobbit Wench of the LotR Wenches' Tavern (notably Tolkien obsessed since age 10) I have to say that this thread is much more amusing than the actual parody.

It might be worth pointing out that, in parodies, the author often espouses ideas that he finds unreasonable or laughable, for the sake of making fun of the idiots who hold those ideas.

Therefore, the author probably agrees with the people who are currently so angry. I'm actually wondering if it's a cultural thing. Are Americans just more into the Art of Parody?

I'm curious.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Altherial, just ignore them. It's NOT just a book. Wouldn't you hate to be in a place where your feelings would fail to be moved by that epic? It doesn't take away the onus to be polite, but the passion is wonderful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat's right. We're all secretly jealous of your passion.

And your Caps Lock key.

Edit: Spelling.

[ April 26, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've changed my mind. Altariel's sublime irony transends them all.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorite one (even though they're all so damn good), is "25. Propaganda."

quote:
You need to whip these jatraqueros back into some sort of ironic shape!

I always thought that a good ironic shape was the circle. Where does it start? Where does it end? We just don't know.

And, yes, this has been posted before.

And, no, it has never caused this much concern (or possibly ironic concern) before, which is the really interesting thing about this thread. If there are some people who genuinely do feel that this is not funny at all, then they are allowing themselves to become the butt of the joke. Which is why satire is such an effective form of comedy in the first place, you laugh to keep yourself from becoming enraged.

I think what I particularly love about Dr. Oxford's style is his devastatingly hilarious use of bold font.

(I just took a look at the Matrix: Rejected. The last too are great.)

[ April 26, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Oh yeah, the caps lock...
It started out as only the Shift, but then, well, I guess I got carried away. After I previewed my post, I kindof liked the way it looked, so fierce and strong...
It perfectly portrayed my emotions, You can tell, by my horrible spelling, (which someone pointed out BTW) that I was furious. Thanks for those of you that liked what I posted and sympathized with me.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ralphie!

That was the best laugh I've had in days!

I even feel better!

I am now going to refer to you as Dr. Ralphie, because you remember that "laughter is the best medicine."

(The outraged comments were pretty damn funny, too. Keep 'em coming, folks! I love this place!)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Oh yeah??!!! You laughing at our feelings?????!!!!!
Who do you think you are????!!!!! Go to hell, and take those "I think LOTR sucks" and "Anger incited on other people by a stupid parody is fun" friends with you!!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
At risk of ruining the fun, I'd like to point out that it seems obvious to me that the author of this parody is a huge fan of LotR, that the parody is intended for people who love LotR because they catch all the jokes (such as the "novelization" bit in the first one), and that it's making fun more of people who find nitpicky stupid things to criticize in great works than it is making fun of the movies.

That's why the angry responses are so funny. But I hope I didn't just kill them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Laughs lots more and blesses Hatrack for continuing to help the healing process.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Nononono. A, the passion is good, but it can't cross over into rudeness at those who have different opinions. People put up defenses and think badly of those who insult them, so it's much more persuasive to be passionate but still polite.

I still love the passion, but the politeness needs some work.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, I would like to see this guy take on The Passion. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm sure it's fertile ground for parody (as Monty Python already proved a long time ago).
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I called in sick this morning because I got my freakin' bum kicked by an irate female. She didn't say whether she had read the 50-reasons article though.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry but that article "sucks".

Especially what he says about elves. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

And he clearly hasn't read the books...

[ April 26, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

::files under 'T's favorite threads'::

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm losing my ability to tell who's being serious and who's being ironic.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
You and me both, Jon. It's best to assume both at the same time, since both are equally funny.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Is it worth to have intense reactions to the powerful stories that echo inside us? I can't believe you're making fun of that. [Frown]
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anybody's making fun of that. I think they're making fun of the kind of person that doesn't understand what the words "parody" or "sarcasm" mean, and gets all up in arms about a point of view that the writer himself doesn't agree with anyway. This gets even funnier when the person pretends they DO know what those words mean, and their reactions clearly show that they don't have a clue.

I don't have any problem with someone finding that particular list lame, or not as funny as it was intended, but practically every post I've seen expressing this opinion went on to object to the SUBSTANCE of the piece, showing that they still think the writer actually meant what he wrote.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

ok, I'm fed up with this bull. I don't see the point of trying to make fun of that which we most love anyway, so its obvious that whoever wrote the parody, DOESN'T like LOTR as much as a real fan with real passion does. I wasn't that angry, I just got carried away. [Blushing]
but still, critizising(?) LOTR is a big NONO [No No] [No No] [No No] Because its something that alot of people value, you don't just attack something you value, now do you(unless you're into something)?
Oh, and that comment about "The Passion", well, that is a religious topic, and no one wants to mess with that. Jesus died for your freakin' sins, you sinner. Show some respect, if not gratitude that he gave you even a chance of allowing your sorry ass into heaven. Sorry, but no. Politeness isn't something I bother with when it comes to religion, ain't that ironic? Show some respect for other people's feelings and their beliefs just like I do for you...unless it comes to LOTR, as many of you saw. ^.~

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, kiddo, calm down. Take a couple of deep breaths.

Nobody criticized or attacked LOTR. Not even the guy that wrote that piece. Do you understand? He didn't mean a word of it. It is supposed to make us, the fans who really like the books and movies, laugh at the kinds of things that non-fans might presumably say.

Again, nobody attacked. Almost all of us here really do like LOTR. Really.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

...need....air.....breathe.......
*five seconds of silence*
(counting to 10 is a good remedy when you're furious)
1.........................2................................3........4..........................5.......................................6..............................7............. ...........8............9..........................................................................................................................................10..........*sigh *

Ok, I feel great again!!!
^.^
Woot!
I guess I hadn't thought that this was what ignorants *might* think and not what the author actually thought....

katharina
Member # 827

*pat pat* Frodo knows you love him. Sam's too even-keel to get offended anyway. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Politeness isn't something I bother with when it comes to religion, ain't that ironic?
Not so ironic. It's much easier to fight for one's beliefs than to live up to them.

Politeness matters.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

what i meant is that I become a ferocious opponent when it comes to speaking about religion, and since most religions, if not all, ask you to be polite to everyone else, it becomes a little paradox...
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. It's not a paradox, it's a matter of not listening to the religion you're defending. [Smile]

The Lord can take a little abuse; I'll bet he'd be happier with your living it than your violating it by smacking down those who don't.

[ April 26, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

The fact that something matters so greatly that seems to restrict our ability to defend it is one of the reasons I'm pretty sure the Lord has a sense of humor.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even laugh at the people like Altariel, who are having such strong reactions to a parody which they obviously didn't understand.

It's pointless to even try to explain it. There are at least 5 posts which did a good job of explaining what the good Dr. Oxford was trying to accomplish. So either Altariel didn't read those explanations, or she's just letting her love of LOTR blind her to the obvious comedic value of the parody.

We just have to accept the fact that there are some unfortunate souls who don't understand sarcasm, irony, or parody, whether it be subtle or obvious. Let us hope that one day, they will develop a sorely needed sense of humor.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Oh my. Thanks Ralphie. I think that's one of the funniest thread I ever read.
*wipes tears*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

But that sense of humor is swapped for the passion. That's a loss, I think.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I don't think anyone got my little parody of how angry I made everyone think I was.
You see, the parody was to see how someone "too feeble-minded-to-understand-LOTR" might react, well everyone fell for my joke of how *somebody as agressively fanatic of LOTR might react.

Made you look

Fitz
Member # 4803

I don't know about that. I imagine that most of the people who found the parody hysterical, and understood it, are the ones who love LOTR the most.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

It's just a growing experience for some, Fitz. [Big Grin]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
U's right. They guy was making fun of the stupid people who don't like LotR. [Big Grin] (because we all know they're silly, unenlightened and smell funny. [Wink] ).

I have a great respect for the books as well as the movies. Probably moreso the books. Which is why I have no problem joking about some little things in the movies. Like how often Frodo falls down, or the old joke that Legolas has three expressions: Calm, Slight Headache and BALROG. But I still love the books (they shaped my imagination from an early age) and the movies (they brought me together with some of the coolest people in the world, people I am happy to call my friends).

But I still appreciate the love that Altįriėl of Dorthonion has for the work. Gives me hope for the next generation.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Well, is love more real when you love blindly and defensively and all-consumingly, or when it is settled and understanding and permanent?

There's a place for both. I think the first is more fun.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

It may be more fun (or it may not), but it is definitely more dangerous, and results in more pain.
Fitz
Member # 4803

Sorry Altariel, but it's pretty obvious that you felt genuine anger, and didn't really 'get' it. This is evidenced by the fact that the only thing that was funny about your posts, was the obvious fact that you didn't get the joke.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I like how it wasn't until someone said, "You obviously aren't reading other people's posts" that suddenly it was all a big joke.

Okay. I'll buy it. But only because I fear that otherwise you'll start using the caps lock like it contained the stickiness of three years worth of coffee and blueberry muffins, that of which no mortal could repair.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.