FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 Reasons Why LOTR Sucks (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 50 Reasons Why LOTR Sucks
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It may be more fun (or it may not), but it is definitely more dangerous, and results in more pain.
Well, yeah. *thinks*

Hmm... still worth it. In time and season.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat - Do you really think there is a place for ignorant passion?

I'd think the most effective passion would be one resulting from looking at the situation - and taking the time to gather information from others - to have solid, valid conviction.

Otherwise, it's just emotional self-indulgence, which is a bad habit to get into.

[ April 26, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't think it's a good idea all the time, or even most of the time, but I think if you have solid, solid boundries that you'd never cross, then it's fun in the Spring.

But then, take it for what it's worth. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Oh, it's SPRING.

I forgot. Pollen and hormones.

Yeah, I dig.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pollen???

*sneezes*

*repeatedly*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Altariel,

I think you said in another thread that you live in Mexico? If so, is Spanish your first language? I remember a friend of mine saying that when she taught English in Mexico to middle schoolers, her main form of behaviour management, the sarcastic putting-in-place of the sarcastic eighth graders, was totally lost on the students, whose English was not at the sarcastic level. (even though their English was excellent)

I am thinking this might be your issue with not understanding the irony-sarcasm-parody of this article.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought the list was kind of dumb. I've seen funnier Parodies.

But the responses on this thread are hilarious.

It's only a book, guys. Breathe.

Ni!

Whew. Glad I'm not the only one, Becky.

Alt, sorry it upset you so much. [Frown]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't speak to me about not understanding jokes when English is not your first language. It used to happen to me ALL THE TIME. Less now. Or so I hope [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The funny of this thread was lost when it dipped into the absurd. I'm seriously getting ill reading all of these "DON' YOU BE DISSIN' LOTR OR ILL KICK YOU IN DEY MOUF!!" posts. Get a life, people. Get out. Get laid. Do something. Lordie.

And for those of you who think the Lord of the Rings cannot be criticised, get some perspective. LOTR may be good fiction, it may also be classic, but it's not amazingly, mind-numblingly great. I can come up with several easy criticisms off the top of my head. First and formost being dialogue. Tolkien writes some dull, plodding dialogue that can be tough to get through. I'll even entertain the idea that Tom Bombadil serves little purpose in the small-arc of LOTR.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
There's light irony and then there's crazy talk. You've crossed the line.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear elizabeth,
Language was not a barrier for me. I DO NOT live in Mexico, I was born there, a lot of my family lives there, I am a native spanish speaker, but I was raised in USA. Therefore, I'm also a native English speaker. And my anger was not genuine. I accept that I was ticked off at the parody, but I wasn't really that furious, except for the passion, the anger was really a counter-joke on my part...v.v

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Me thinks someone doth protest too much.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I accept that I was ticked off at the parody, but I wasn't really that furious, except for the passion, the anger was really a counter-joke on my part...v.v
Okay, so you put more into your post than you felt because you thought it would be funny, while simultaneously slaming someone else's humorous article simply because it was too subtle (no, not "2 STOOPID OMG" or " dumbo cause slamming LOTR is just NAWT AXSEPTIBLE") for you to get.

Ah, well. Kids. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I kind of do...
This might sound weird, but I actually LIKE to argue, I enjoy every second and every word coming out of my mouth...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Altįriėl?

You might want to check the manual on your bike because it's not equipped with "back pedal."

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Explain yourself Curve. My arguments are clear at least. If I said it was a freakin' joke, then its a FREAKIN' JOKE!!!!
A bad one, I admit...
But still one...
Its not the kind of "this is funny" joke, its the kind of, "maybe some people would think this way" kind of joke.
And BTW, whoever said I should get laid, or get a life...I have a freakin' life you moron.
And I won't get laid until I'm married or 18, whichever comes first.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Whaddya mean you can't shoot 'em, Ralphie? OMG! When did the law change? [Angst]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Oh yeah...parents can't live with us, but they can't live w/out us either...we're like pet parasites...
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

It is really awkward and sad when people start explaining their jokes. Can we all pretend all the posts here are jokes and that we all get it?

Magical World.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

[Kiss] Beren.

Ahhh - a lovely breath of fresh air.

Magical . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Magic.....
[Blushing]
Read y "Feminism" posts, and everyone will understand what the hell is wrong with me...

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
God damn, Hatrack is a great place. People can make a mistake, get over-emotional, and then get grinded until they admit how wrong they were.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Lawyer's oldest trick...
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

what the hell was that Ralph???
Ever heard of "GRAMMAR SCHOOL"??!! Or maybe that very useful book called "Webster's".
And, yes, if it had been an article in the local newspaper, I would've made sure that they got the messege that "a good parody is better than a stupid, and very irrelevant, bad parody".
I'm not saying that a parody is wrong, but it is if its got a whole bunch of irrelevant crap in it.

Grammar school? I hope that's a joke, looking at the grammar you used in your post.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

At least it was legible...Thats what counts. Posting on the net only needs that. Legibility.
If you're going to correct my posts, then at least do it in the same topic.

[ April 26, 2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Altįriėl of Dorthonion ]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope that posting at Hatrack requires a little more than legibility. [Smile]

And what do you mean "at least do it in the same topic"? That post was in this thread.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
God damn, Hatrack is a great place. People can make a mistake, get over-emotional, and then get grinded until they admit how wrong they were.
You know, I was going to make a culling from the herd comment, but you're right, Jebus.

I'm now in Beren's magical world. And I desire a nut roll. *wishes hard for nut roll*

Shan
Member # 4550

[ROFL]
*Wishing she knew where the OOC thread is . . . *

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh, Altįriėl?

You might want to check the manual on your bike because it's not equipped with "back pedal."

Except for those two-seater ones, but then it should be plural.

Anyway, is a nut roll one of those cinnamon rolls with almonds, or is it -just- nuts?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the list was supposed to actually compliment LOTR, saying that only an ignoramus would have an extensive list of why it stunk.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does the list even matter, except to entertain us further? I don't understand the emotional defense of the movie(s). Unless it's your child . . .
The list is funny and the movie was great. My opinion (which means nothing to anyone but me!).
Lighten up everyone. It's a movie for Heaven's Sake!

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*goes off to search for the subtlety stick*
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone needs to just lighten up. Why do we find the need in this culture to make lists about why we hate things, or make posts on the internet about why we disagree with people's opinions, or make movies about fictional characters and events? I think that if we all just lightened up, we'd finally have a little peace and quiet around here.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Jehovoid is my new favorite Jatraquero. [Cool]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
So now it was a joke? Man. That one sure bombed.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Alright, for a joke, that really didn't make me laugh. And reguarding that post that I thought was off topic, sorry, I was confused because I was jumping from topic to topic and I though I was somewhere else, my bad. Sorry.
Oh, and BTW, I still don't get the bike pedal thingy...
I feel way better today, my apologies to everyone I offended yesterday, as some of you know, I had to drink 10 cups of express and around 24 chocolate bars...I lost a bet and I have paid for it. Idon't feel so cranky anymore, again, I'M SORRY. I guess it was just a joke, and if the author of that lame list meant it or not, its her/his problem and I've got nothing to do with it.

katharina
Member # 827

*pat pat* Welcome to Hatrack. Baptism by fire. Please stay. [Smile]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
Oh, and BTW, I still don't get the bike pedal thingy...
It's like the time when Vegeta married a earth woman after declaring that "mix-bloods" like Gohan can never achieve true Super Saiyan power.

Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[Confused]
Ok, after Vegeta married Bulma, and Trunks was born...I'm still confused...Gomen....

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

You don't hear Vegeta bitching about "mix-bloods" after Trunks was born did you? (OK, maybe he did, but definitely not after Trunks turned Super Saiyan). [Smile]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Now you're just playing with the kid, Beren.

Unless you're planing on eating the poor thing, just let it flee.

[ April 27, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, he was always really aloof...he was a very proud person, but at the same time, he was very proud of his son even though he rarely admitted it. But I understand that now. [Razz]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Ralphie, your statement reminds me of the time Gokou had the chance to kill Vegeta but decides to let him live because.... well, I've told you that story a million times you must be sick of it by now.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

He also gave a chance to frz, however, t he guy was stupid enough to attack goku after he had spared him...goku ofcourse, killed him(even though he comes back later in the series and thats when trucks kills him for good)
Ralphie
Member # 1565

This made me laugh again. Therefore, it gets the bump.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I just read this thread all over again ans I still can't believe the things I wrote. I just laugh. [Wink] So long ago...
Oh! And to clear things up, I was actually playing a joke on everyone, I could do it again if you want me to. Just on another topic.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. It was sorta funny sometimes, but for the most part it was just too stupid to be funny. They were too damn stupid to be reasonally believeable acusations and as a result lost their humor. Even a parody poking fun at something still needs to be believable in its poking fun.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It was only when I saw my old screen name that I realized it was April 26 of last year. My 2nd hatrack anniversary blew right by me.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, my irony wasn't nearly as funny as I remember it being.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait'll you see how the crap you post these days looks to you in a year or so. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.