FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Subtlety Stick. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Subtlety Stick.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. It has already begun.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess I did chuckle slightly at choosing that verse given your religous convictions.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What verse?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Subtle? Whats that, like an underwater phone from Britain (because the last two letters are reversed). :backwards baseball cap smiley:
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

The chardonnay one. As opposed to all the other shining examples of Morisette-style irony (rain on your wedding day anyone?)

Yeah, it wasn't that funny.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
See, Chardonnay is a WHITE wine, and it's a BLACK fly . . . oh, never mind.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks!

*eyes the odd line of bent-over bare-assed folks trading jokes*

"oh now.... this just can't be right. nah.. no."

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Elizabeth. Is there something on your mind?

Subtlety is for humor, not for grudges."

Ralphie, I don't get it. Do you think I am upset about something? What grudge do I have? Please tell me! I am very confused by your sniping at me.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, now I am late to work because I am so upset by this. These are the things I wrote that upst you:

"I think someone mentioned this already, but I was thinking about it on the drive in to work this morning.

How can hitting someone with a subtlety stick be subtle? Wouldnt you not feel the hit, with the stick being so subtle and all?

On the other hand, I might be missing the subtlety of the subtlety of the subtlety stick. Is that what is happening here?"

Did you think I was really being disrespectful of your subtlety stick? I was just teasing.

"I have to add as well, that writing the word subtlety more than once is too much."

This was after writing it so many times, and it really is not a word which flows off the keys.

"I do not speak "smiley," sorry."

Again, a joke. Do you REALLY think I care about smileys? Do you care about them so much? I will never mention them again.

"Hmm. Maybe it should go the other way. A subtlety feather."

Was this it, what made you mad?

"Imogen, I miss your mad face!"

Was it this? This was a reference from another thread.

"(I can't believe I just said I missed a smiley. What is happening to me????)"

I guess maybe it is my disrespect of smileys that has given me this reputation as having no sense of humor.

Please help me out here, Ralphie. This has really, really upset me and ruined my day, enough to make me just say see ya to hatrack.

Liz

[ April 27, 2004, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually working more on a gut feeling, but it appears (gladly) that my impressions were based on the nonexistent.

I apologize that it was wrong, and that it both hurt and upset you.

(Liz, to leave Hatrack over something I said would be really silly. I'm only one poster of hundreds, not around very much anymore, and by no means Hatrack's best anything. If I were you, I'd stay just because the other people were so cool.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*falls over*

I can't tell if you're both being deliciously subtle or ridiculously obtuse.
[Dont Know]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, we all have folks on Hatrack that we don't sync with. It's just a matter of whether the parts you like outweigh the parts you don't like.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Apologies all around for overreaction.
Note to self: Do not respond to posts that upset me first thing in the AM. Or second thing in the AM.

Leonide, no need to rub it in, is there?

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Liz - I'll e-mail you when I get home.

Kira - Ohhhh. You're SO adult. [Razz]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

...or I won't.

I have no access to your e-mail address. My e-mail address is dandadodge@comcast.net.

If you don't feel comfortable sending me your addy, that's fine.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

edob63@yahoo.cpm

Thought it was accessible, sorry.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

edob63@yahoo.com

[ April 27, 2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*heads down the hall reading the signs*

*stops*

"O-b-l-i-q-u-eh?"

*makes monkey face*

"ooh!"

fallow (aka "oblique iglacious")

*makes note to self: "oblique (with accent) iglacious"*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of hitting people with what I call "the Metal Stick," which can be easily found at most construction sites and basements.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat them all - let God sort 'em out!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I didn't think it was still a stick if it's not made of wood. Maybe a 'metal pole', or a 'subtlety stoomph', but not a stick.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
"I will bludgeon you to death with the kindess mace."
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a Subtlety Shtick?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
That was kinda the joke, I guess. I believe the punchline was "Clearly, I'm an idiot."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

The peace metal pipe.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
The chardonnay one. As opposed to all the other shining examples of Morisette-style irony (rain on your wedding day anyone?)

Yeah, it wasn't that funny.

Okay, I was really confused. I thought you were talking about some verse that I had chosen, and I assumed you were talking about a scriptural verse (religion + verse = scriptures, right?).

And I cannot express enough how much I hate that song. I hate the stupid lyrics and I hate her freaking voice. I hate it enough that I worked it into a raving conspiracy theory.

imogen
Member # 5485

[Smile]

Our yearly campus student newspaper (meant to be satirical. Often just has bodily function jokes instead) had a headline of 'WMD FOUND - IN CANADA'.

Alanis Morisette and April Lavigne were ranked highly on the Canadian WMD list.

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

WMD - Women Most Desired? Women Mostly Decorative? Women Most Daring?
jehovoid
Member # 2014

And let's not forget the soldering iron of justice.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.