FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Australians and New Zealanders (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Australians and New Zealanders
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Utah and speak English and Japanese.

My goal in life is to live on an island where folks drive on the left-hand side.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Say hi to Imogen. [Smile]

Jump across the ditch and come say hi to me. [Big Grin]

Meet some kangaroos...

How long are you there for and whereabouts will you be?

EDIT: To Rabbit.

[ April 28, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: tonguetied&twisted ]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends what part of the country you're going to. It's a rather large place with a diversity of potential activities. Are you going East Coast, West Coast or Up North?

In any case, you should definately find the time for a kangaroo ride, though - they can be a little bouncy, but they're a lot of fun [Wink]

Edit to add:

quote:
Say hi to Imogen
They could say hi to me, too. I do live in the same house as her, after all.... [Big Grin]

[ April 28, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*

What on earth would they want to do that for? [Wink]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Well...I'm friendly. A bit like a kangaroo...

I don't hop quite as well, though [Big Grin]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
tt&t, aren't you supposed to be doing schoolwork?

Oh, I forgot, you are doing schoolwork and aren't really here. [Wink]

*wonders when Kylie will come back*(((tt&t)))

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

Hehe! Scythrop's like a kangaroo! [ROFL] I'm gonna have to see that. [Big Grin]
(In all seriousness, I didn't mean to forget about you [Smile] ).

Derrell, ::sigh::, yes, I am doing schoolwork. I even logged out of AIM! *laugh* Actually, it's going pretty well. It shouldn't take me too much longer. If I concentrate.

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
If you come to Melbourne, check out the restaurants, bars, cafes and nightclubs. It's just a social town with the best eating and nightlife in Australia.

If you go to Sydney, check out the harbour, Bondi or Coogee beaches and the Opera House. Also check out the people - it's what they expect and it'll make them much happier if you do. Not that they'd let *you* know that.

If you go to Brisbane, get out immediately. I suggest heading north to the Sunshine coast, about an hour away by car. The beaches there are insanely good. If you feel like doing it touristy, then go to Noosa, if you want a little more laid-back, go to Caloundra.

If you go to the far north, check out the Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef. Have a steak while you're there - it's the only thing they cook better the further north you go. I stopped being a vegetarian in far-north Queensland. Not that I had a choice. They kill a lot of beasts there.

If you go inland from there, visit Uluru, previously known as Ayre's Rock. Make sure you see it at sunset, it's one of the most spectacular sights in the world, apparently. But while you're there, if you eat out at the big circle-of-restaurants, go to the cheapest one: they have a central kitchen which cooks all the same meals for every restaurant, but you pay ridiculous prices for the better "atmosphere" of the high-class one.

If you go to Perth you'll be a long freakin' way from EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE! Immediately go to Freemantle and find a pub called "The Sail and Anchor". Have one of their microbrewed house beers - like a Chilli beer or chocolate beer. That pub is where one of Australia's best beers originated - Redback. Also, while in Perth, go to Cotisloe and have a beer while the sun sets. If you've lived all your life in an eastern state it's a wild trip-out to have the sun set over the water.

If you go to Adelaide.... er.... well.... heh. Apparently there's a winery or too there, but seriously, you really should think about going somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Tasmania has some lovely senic drives, bed and breakfasts etc.

There's also the Hunter Valley, somewhere north of Sydney, great wine producing territory.

Oh, and of course, Canberra, our manufactered state - created because when they were handing out the Australian capital, Sydney and Melbourne were saying:

"MINE!"

"nuh-uh"

"Is too!"

So while their backs were turned someone went and built a totally pre-planned state smack bang between them and formed a parliment. Whacky, huh?

Nevertheless, worth taking a trip for the war-memorial, national museum and to laugh at our politicians.

-----

Have I left anything out?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

quote:
If you go to Brisbane, get out immediately.

If you go to Adelaide.... er.... well.... heh.

[ROFL]
[ROFL]

I'd have to agree on the Brisbane point. Get outta there, go to the beach. I've not been to Adelaide, although I'll make sure it's not on my list of places to visit for next time. On a related note, I found that most Australians are very friendly, nice people. Even though this is not what I've been brought up to believe. [Razz]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I lived in Brisbane all last year and LOVED it. Great ferries. [Smile]
Though I did feel out of place all year for not being blonde.

Agree with you on Melbourne. I like the Hairy Canary Bar in the city.

And Sydney... [Laugh] All the posers! The beautiful people! Oh I'm glad I don't live there.

Perth - yeah, Perth is fun in a laid back kinda way. There's more beer places now. And Magaret River (about 4 hours drive South) is producing some of the best Australian wines at the moment - great wineries.

And Canberra. Oh what a city. No corners - have you noticed that? Every street goes in a circle.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

I've always assumed it's because Canberra is a political city. Australian politicians hate corners; corners make you have to actually indicate whether you're left or right [Big Grin]

edit: for greater clarity

[ April 28, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Canberra makes me dizzy.

Sure, Brisbane is fine, if you like being bored, hot and eat nothing but steak. [Wink]

I loved living in Sydney and still have a great fondness for it, posers notwithstanding. I lived in the Italian Forum in leichhardt, which was excellent and also in Coogee - one of the best places to live in Australia IMHO.

The Hairy Canary is definitely one of the best hang-outs in Melbourne! I live on Fitzroy St, St Kilda - so I'm always just one step away from great food and dancin'!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent 6 weeks in Canberra, some -- *calculates* ACK! -- twenty years ago. And I totally remember the curving streets. You couldn't simply go around the block! It took forever, not four quick turns.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
tonguetied&tvvisted, I will be in Australia for two weeks. I'm attending an conference in Sydney the week of May 17. The week before that I'll be visiting family in Armidale.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.