FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Camel Spiders

Author Topic: Camel Spiders
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this yet.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp#photo

At first the spiders look fairly large but on closer examination you realize that the spiders are just being held really close to the camera. Notice the shirt sleeve of the soldier holding the spiders; it is a shot of his cuff and it is huge also.

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
bump
Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
They're still pretty big.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Ew ew ew ew. I started freaking out at just the picture.

*has horrible fear of spiders*

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
15 April
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If you know you are afraid of spiders, why did you click on the link? [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
We've already discussed these in Mommy Bugga Bugga.

And stop freaking out! Sheesh! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else get the true compatibility pop up after? 5 inches is pretty big. (Whew, I thought that was going to be the reason OOC was bumped)

I haven't read mommy bugga bugga because I have no idea what it's about. Or dude :cool: peekaboo on the other side.

[ April 28, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the soldiers will put two of these things in a small pit and just let them go at it. Apparently they're very territorial and incredibly willing to fight. The result: A friend of mine whose husband is over there showed me a picture of two of these things together a few weeks ago. Rather nasty. >_<
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just as cruel as cockfighting. Just because they're arachnids doesn't mean they exist for your entertainment! Poor things are probably completely freaked out. Insects have nervous systems too, you know.

Cruelty, even naive cruelty, upsets me. [Frown]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
you're all way behind the times, camel spiders were cool 2 years ago

[Smile]

Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea you might as well start going on about the platypus while you're at it.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Camel spiders can traverse desert sand at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run.
Sounds like a pretty good reason to be freaked out to me!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Check your facts, dear. This one happens to be an exaggeration.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that teaches me to only read bullet points.

Still pretty creepy, though.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.