FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Downloading music

Author Topic: Downloading music
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any sites where you can download music for free...and legally?
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
::resolves not to get into another debate over free music::

::leaves thread, never to return::

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*
I don't want to start a debate about pirating music from the internet.
I just want to know if I can legally download a couple of songs for free. Unless someone wants to e-mail me the files. *grin*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

nevermind. It looks like you have to pay subsription fees to everything.
*can't afford to buy a CD for one song*
Guess I'll have to live without it for a while. [Frown]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://etree.org

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

And you don't have to pay a subscription fee ot use the iTunes Music Store. It would cost you $.99 for a song.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, fugu!!

We have thousands upon thousands of legally downloaded shows. Sanctioned by the artists. A good thing FOR the artists.

It is how we found our band, and many others: Donna the Buffalo, The Horse Flies, Jason Mraz, many others.

Go to the Internet Archive. I have a link on another thread. I will find it. Or look for it in the etree site.

Liz

[ April 27, 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Or click the link I posted [Wink]
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Also: amazon.com has lots of songs for free (under 'free music downloads' on the pull-down menu). That's how I found the Brobdingnian (sp?) Bards. Totally fun!
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the subscription fee is a great deal. $10 a month, and you only pay per-song if you want the rights to burn it...so I can have as many songs on my computer as I want, and I only pay for the stuff I actually want on a cd.

Does iTunes let you play the music without paying for each individual song first?

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
From Narnia: a place to download music by unsigned or newly signed artists. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

quote:
I think the subscription fee is a great deal. $10 a month, and you only pay per-song if you want the rights to burn it...so I can have as many songs on my computer as I want, and I only pay for the stuff I actually want on a cd.

A lot of them only cost $1 a month, and free downloads.
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out sharingthegroove.com. Possibly the greatest free and legal location for music on the net.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Eruve: But what kind of selection do they have?
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Supersphere has hundreds of indie rock/punk/hardcore shows free to streamline and/or download.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

ph, I dunno. I don't use 'em.
[Wink]

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
pH: you can listen to a 30 second clip of the song before purchasing it. There's no initial fee to listen to clips of songs on itunes, you don't even need to register. Just download the latest itunes and poke around.

It's usually 99¢ per song, but occasionally some songs differ. Albums are supposed to be $9.99, but sometimes they differ.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, Fugu!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Ah, see, what I like about Napster is that you can listen to almost all of the songs available before you purchase them. You can even download them to your computer without paying the fee, so long as you don't intend to burn them. Totally worth my $10/month, in my opinion, since it means I can create very random playlists full of Spice Girls and Eazy-E and just play them in my room on a whim.

[ April 28, 2004, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: pH ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to support your local used record store, plz.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

SS,
I probably spend as much money seeing live shows as some people would on cds. All the musicians on Etree give permission for their shows to be taped so they get more exposure. Honest to goodness, it ends up translating into more cd sales, used and new. they know this, ir they probably wouldn;t sanction the taping.
Liz

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Soundclick is another place for free legal downloads
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
This is supposed to be the replacement for mp3.com: music.download.com

It just launched a couple of days ago, but it looks like it will be pretty good.

I will have some music up there as soon as they approve it. My stuff so far is mostly heavy techno rock, but I am hoping to do more guitar based stuff. So far, it is mostly just created with samples and loops but I will be adding some of my own playing when I get some better recording equipment set up.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I wasn't trying to impugn anyone's motives. I was just looking at the price of .99 cents a song and I was thinking that that actually wasn't a very good deal for anything over a year old since you can get stuff for cheaper than 9.99 a cd/99 cents a song at any used record store. And by supporing that store, you are supporting someone who is probably intimately involved in the local music scene. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yes, but artists receive no credit for used cd sales.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

SS,
I am sorry if it sounded that way(defensive), because I didn't mean it that way. I was just making my redundant live music schpiel. (how do you spell that word, anyway)
Liz

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Links to Tens of Thousands of Legal Music Downloads
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, "schpiel" works; "shpiel" is probably the more common spelling.

But don't forget Rivka's Primary Rule of Transliteration:

No matter how you spell it, someone will spell it differently.

And the corollary:

So just spell it the way you think it ought to be spelled, and ignore the nay-sayers.

(I tend to make exceptions for those words which have a single accepted English spelling. But those are rare.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks, Rivka.

Great link, Danzig.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.