Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » toasts

Author Topic: toasts
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I've been gone for the last couple weeks for my brothers wedding. I'm the best man, so I must give a toast. I thinks about it for a while, then I take a line from the Ender Saga (There is but one truth, and if you...) and change it and it becomes the basis for my toast which was:

They say there is but one true emotion, love. It will stay with you in many ways, over many paths, over many years. May it bring joy and happiness to your memories, and seed your future with hope. To your love, to your life, to your happiness., To the bride and groom.

Or at least thats how I think it went, I'll wait for the video to make sure of what I said.

But what do you think? Anyone else made any good and memorable toasts?

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sweet, and very nice. [Smile]

No other stories, just smiles. [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
kinglear,

I hope this is useful. Not so much a toast but a wedding thought delivered by the father of the groom at a recent wedding I attended (this is probably cliche, but it was the first time I'd heard it).

"It's not about finding the right person, it's about being the right person."

As a key to a successful marriage.

An embarassing story is also good. [Wink]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

Re: Fallow -- father speeches

At the reception, the brides fathers ( minister to be) gave a prayer. The room was silent, he spoke, he said amen, and then his cell phone started ringing....

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
A toast to toast!
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

kinglear,

re: cell phone

The etiquette for new tech hasn't been worked out all that well. I hope the prayer was good.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

fallow:

re: cell phone etiquette

it was quite funny when the DJ started making jokes regarding God calling

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to make it really memorable, get all the names wrong and sometimes mix up the genders. Then end it with "And I know we all hope to God he gets through the surgery all right," and then you raise your glass to an unoccupied chair, smile, nod, and drink. Then maybe you should start high fiving all the elderly guests with both hands.

[ April 28, 2004, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

book,

*pees pants*

kinglear,

re: yours and books. substituting "god" with "carl" can sometimes crank the hilarity up a notch, if used judiciously.

[Cool]

fallow

Muwahaha
Member # 6488

- posted      Profile for Muwahaha   Email Muwahaha         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to brag on the best man at my wedding. He was my husband's roommate in college. My husband got awesome grades in school, and our best man said that he had learned from watching that my husband was a man who worked hard at things, and since a marriage was so much more important than school, that he knew that my husband would always make certain that we had a wonderful marriage. Hmm...it sounded much better when the best man said it.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.