FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Snacking it up @ work

Author Topic: Snacking it up @ work
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
There must be a compromise between carrot sticks and snickers bars. What kind of healthy (I'll even settle for semi-healthy) goodies do you folks snack on to get you through the day?

So far I've tried pretzels and corn nuts. Fairly tasty except I only enjoy the high sodium variety and they always prompt me to gulp down large amounts of coke. [Eek!]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum Bars. Although I'm not sure how healthy they are... [Razz]
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You have time to snack at work?

*jealous*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Finn caraway crispbread.
Apples.
Unsweetened soymilk with chai spices.
Horseradish by the spoonful.
Popcorn misted with olive oil or butter-flavored Pam.
Fresh-ground peanut butter on celery sticks.

Yumm.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Suddenly I'm glad I don't work with CT. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Popcorn misted with olive oil or butter-flavored Pam.
But you left out the best part!!!

quote:
Popcorn misted with olive oil or butter-flavored Pam.... and sprinkled with nutritional yeast!!!!
Oh yeah. It's a required topping for popcorn in our house. [Smile]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Eek!]
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this picture makes it look kinda gross, but it's sooooo tasty. Kinda rich and salty and sweet all at once. They sell this shaker next to the popcorn at our local co-op. [Smile]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that depends on your definition of "healthy"- low-fat healthy or low-carb healthy? Or a bit of both?

I usually try for low-far, but low in carbs is always my snack-time priority, which rules out pretty much all of your standard snacks like chocolate bars and chips.

Instead I take slices of celery & carrot and a dip, usually something like babaganuj, egg salad, beetroot or avodcado.

Sometimes I'll have slices of cheese with cracked-pepper pate spread on top.

Sometimes just some ham off-the-bone is fantastic.

I also make low-carb muffins for my midday munchies!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*nods*

I usually try to be a loafer at work too Troubs.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops... how frighteningly accurate.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We snack on whatever someone brings in, so it varies a lot -- everything from Krispy Kremes, to meat/cheese trays (for those on Atkins).

Lots of homemade cookies, etc brought in by people grateful to us for fixing their PCs <grin>.

and we have a vending machine, the usual potato chips, candy and microwave popcorn.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a student who sells all kinds of cakes and drinks and stuff. I allow him to sell before class on a few conditions: 1. There is no disruption during class, 2. There is NEVER any trash on the floor, 3. He give me whatever I want whenever I want as a tax. He's not fundraising. Well he is, but it's for his own, personal funds. But it's hands on learning of supply and demand.

I found that I have to quit taking my taxes (I haven't collected in quite some time.) because I'm gaining back some weight I've worked really hard to lose.

I used to have a bag of grapes sitting on my desk. My grandma freezes them. They're good frozen and then they're cold as they defrost.

I agree with Mac about not working with CT. Unsweetened soy milk? Ick. But, I guess to each their own.

OH! Fig Newtons! I love fig newtons in the middle of the day. They're filling and low in fat.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ninja Frog
Member # 6506

- posted      Profile for Ninja Frog   Email Ninja Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
Those new Chex Mix snax in the potato chip section of the grocery store is the way to go!

They have the bold party flavored ones for when you want something tangy and spicy, and they have the honey mix or the carmel mix when you get a sweet craving, those are both good, and of course you have your traditional and your trail mix, tho i stick w/ the first 3 i mentiond up there. Also they are a cross between the size of a snack bag and a potato chip bag so you can actually get some "real" stacking in withouth feeling like you are pigging out, they are pritty hardy little snacks. Every weekend when i go to the store i grab a few bags and thow them in my desk at work. They only have about 6 grams of fat so they are not great on the health food tip, but they are better than most stuff.

[Laugh] hahhah these emotes are cute lol <-- newbie

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in child care, so the risk of me snacking on crap like Goldfish crackers or the like was pretty big. I started keeping big Costco size bags of cheerios around, so I grab a handful when I get the munchies. Also fresh fruit.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.