FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John's been banned? Kristine, Kathryn, you've made a mistake. (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: John's been banned? Kristine, Kathryn, you've made a mistake.
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to chime in at this point to correct someone, but my Simpsons Honor holds me bound.

Ayelar, I'm afraid it is:
They fight! And bite!
They fight and bite and fight!
Fight fight fight! Bite bite bite!
The "Books, Film...Culture" Show!

please D'oh!n't flame me. [Smile]

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I stand corrected. There has been censure, but never once a warning before the censure. Unofficial warnings from members, yes, mods, no.
How about we impeach him but then acquit him in the senate? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've seen exactly two posts by Ced in my entire Hatrack existence and they were this week. I know folks joke about him, but I have no idea why exactly. So I have inadequate information as to whether he deserved what John did, which I am equally ignorant about. I don't defend or support either one. By the way, do we know that Ced hasn't been banned?
Cedrios did some things that upset the whole forum a couple of years ago. They really don't bear rehashing at this point. Ced was never banned, to my recollection. He did stop posting under the name Cedrios and his other known "cedonyms" after that. That was probably because people pretty much didn't cut him any slack after the big upset, and his comfort level here was drastically reduced - they may be why some people think he was banned.

quote:
Yes, I know John was cruising for a bruising with his posting style.

I'm pretty sure I've said that several times. What irritates me is that others have behaved in a similar fashion in the past, and have not been banned.

So, no, banning is not consistent. The moderators do not always enforce the rules the same way for everyone. I am, in fact, partial proof of this.

And before (again) it's pointed out that the moderators have that right, I know that, too. They are the only real force for authority here (aside from influence and charisma exercised by many members), and they pay for the upkeep of not just the forum but the entire website from their own time and money and aggravation.

But please, please stop trying to convince me that the rules are enforced in an even-handed, consistent fashion. We all know they are not, and personally I am OK with that for a variety of reasons I've already mentioned.

Yes, I agree with this, Jeff.

What upsets me, and a lot of other people here, I think, is that John was a valuable contributor to this forum. Yes, he has upset people with his posting style. I have gotten into it with him, too, at times, and gotten pretty annoyed. But he is basically a good guy, and I am just sorry to see him gone from Hatrack. [Frown]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just saying I don't think it's OMG SRUPRISE!!1

Ralphie, I hope I'm just getting a meaning out of this that you didn't intend at all, but it seems really condescending to me whenever you reply to someone by mocking their post in 1337 speak.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie doesn't need anyone to stick up for her, but that's never stopped me before! (For the record, 'oh my God, don't do that! usually don't work neither)

I doubt Ralphie means any real offense when using l337 speek. Besides, she was right.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now if I had written that, you would be free to interpret it as condescending.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
410 second guesses, uninformed interpretations, and general malcontent.

No, wait-- some kind folks DID dig my rhymes.

That's gotta count for something.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Mine was just a joke! So, 409...

Far be it from me to second guess any decisions made by our moderators. I'm sorry to see John gone. But I'm sure that no one here has all the information on the situation that they do, and it's not our place to judge.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Actually, there have been a lot of jokes and side conversations in this thread, so it's even less than 409.

And Scott, I think people are allowed to discuss things and express their opinions without being called malcontents.

[ May 01, 2004, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

No they aren't.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

[Taunt]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah - I pretty much mean it self-parodying. And when I say 'self' that's me first, and then the collective 'we'.

Mostly, I just find it funny.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just saying I don't think it's OMG SRUPRISE!!1
Honey, I know you're just doing this because it's funny, and, surely, it is. But, take it from someone who knows, what starts out as a joke can eventually get under your skin to the point where you can't stop. I'd hate to have the beauty of your posts marred by a joke gone wrong.

4 rills.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
dear me, is there a cliff notes version of this thread? 9 pages?!

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
cliff note me
did Mr. GrenMe get banned?

If he did,
is his parole
voteable,
if so I vote time served,
or possibly no ban at all.

What happened?
Can some one fill me in?

Did John kidnap Baldar and force him into weird games of Twister? Was he at Micheal Jacksons birthday parties?

Was it over those goofy, goofy pictures of Cedrios?

What is all of this about?

I vote for PEACE!
at Hatrack!

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Honey, I know you're just doing this because it's funny, and, surely, it is. But, take it from someone who knows, what starts out as a joke can eventually get under your skin to the point where you can't stop. I'd hate to have the beauty of your posts marred by a joke gone wrong.

4 rills.

I'll probably get tired of the device at some point.

However, I like that Hatrack is nearly built on its avoidance of AIM speak (and those who speak it in sincerity) and I'm shamelessly flaunting status to get away with using it on a regular basis.

It'll get retired at some point. For now, though, a lot of times it's just as effective in helping me express my point as a smiley is for other people.

[ May 02, 2004, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
[Monkeys]
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*pinches megachops*

"You DO have the best (umm... err) second name?"

*marches right over to Rackacademy awards"

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Thor

quote:
cliff note me
did Mr. GrenMe get banned?

Yes, he did.

quote:
If he did,
is his parole
voteable,
if so I vote time served,
or possibly no ban at all.

A lot of people feel this way, but I am sure his ban is not voteable.

quote:
What happened?
Can some one fill me in?

Was it over those goofy, goofy pictures of Cedrios?

Yes, apparently it was over the pictures of Ced. John was not warned or given any explanation, to my knowledge.

quote:
I vote for PEACE!
at Hatrack!

Amen to that, brother.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

You're right about that, pooka. [Cry]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

- posted      Profile for Alai's Echo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll probably get tired of the device at some point.

However, I like that Hatrack is nearly built on its avoidance of AIM speak (and those who speak it in sincerity) and I'm shamelessly flaunting status to get away with using it on a regular basis.

It'll get retired at some point. For now, though, a lot of times it's just as effective in helping me express my point as a smiley is for other people.

Wait, so you know that what you do may be taken offensively by some people, especially those who don't know your reasoning behind it, but you're going to do it anyway? How is this any different from what at least three people have directly accused John of doing? Does this mean you are cruising for a banning? If offensive behaior quirks are all that is required to be eligible for arbitrary banning, shouldn't more people begin to fear for moderation?
Posts: 72 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, berating and labelling people bigots is a bit more severe than using l337 speak mischieviously.

D'uh. And I'm saying that as someone who thinks John shouldn'tve been banned.

J4

Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

I see. So, it's a matter of severity? Or a matter of humor? Is it okay as long as the person doing it can call it a joke? "I was only kidding?"
Posts: 72 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
::wonders who Alai's Echo is::
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

A friend. Speaking in part on John's behalf.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Which is strange, since John has actually said on numerous occassions, "Don't do that."

And this is an absurd argument. There was one (count one) person who asked the meaning behind Ralphie's statements, and Ralphie clarified. The statement was not directed at any single person or group or belief system, and it was not directly insulting.

It is, in fact, a joke by which no insult or condemnation is meant.

So don't act like the two are the same. It makes you look like a freaking moron, because the two are obviously different.

Get it, d00d?

(By which part of this post might a reasonable, average person be more offended, do you think?)

Edit: Oh, and by the way: I wasn't interested one way or another in who you are, but advertising martyred anonymity don't win any points.

[ May 02, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I could defend myself against a contrived arguement.

But I'm not.

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
You are so a contrived argument!

don't try to deny it!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's time for THE COMFY CHAIR.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Someday Stormy is going to run off with me.

Someday.

edit: I meant Stormy! I MEANT STORMY!!!

[ May 02, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
why you mad, stormy?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
He just noticed that everyone else was getting all hot under the collar and figured he should jump on board as well. Now we can talk about how we hurt his feelings for another 3 pages before someone else gets righteously indignant over nothing and we can talk about *that* for another couple of pages. It's awesome.

If people put as much effort into making pies as they did into being offended and then they gave all those pies to me, well son, I’d be a happy man. Or something.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
a fat, happy man.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, Btl? What if they gave them to you while they possessed lots of kinetic energy?

[Evil]

*aims*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I should hope they'd have some kinetic energy, otherwise I'd have absolute zero pie.

(I can't believe I made that pun...)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, now you deserve this!

*lobs 10 pies in rapid succession, shotput style, at BtL*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears John's posts have been swept from the forum.

...was that really necessary? The man wrote some excellent material.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about this time, but every time John's gone off in a huff on his own he deletes most of his recent posts.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Lil paranoid there Lalo, John often deletes his posts.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Except this time he didn't. Lil' anxious to be judgemental there, Sopwith.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

So, you're claiming that the mods deleted his posts?

:shrug:

Is Leto maintaining that they did this?

:shrug:

Can I care less?

Yes. You know, I think I CAN conjure more apathy towards this subject. Hold on--

[Wall Bash]

Yes. Oh, YES! Now I am COMPLETELY apathetic!

[Party]

[ May 22, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
uh, i don't think a banned person can delete posts....
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
If that's true I may have just generated some apathy to the whole forum.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I don't see any evidence that John's posts have been "swept" from the forum.

His last post was on April 28, right before he was banned.

All of the links that I checked on this list of John's recent posts worked fine (I admit I didn't check every last one).

And it would be impossible for John to delete his posts after he was banned, as his IP was banned and his password would no longer work.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
nevermind

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Rereading this thread made me think of a macro I recently ran into*.

MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME. NOT WORK SAFE.

(*Shamelessly filtched from some genius on another forum.)

[ May 23, 2004, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
d00d. PETA will be so pissed when they hear about that poor monkey.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but according to Bernard, it could make Taco Bell very happy.
quote:
A Rat Named Dog: I really think that a person's right to remain at Hatrack should depend, in large part, on their ability to pursue an argument...
Well, crap. I guess that's my cue to leave...

[ May 23, 2004, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.