FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » As to the sixth Harry Potter book.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: As to the sixth Harry Potter book....
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
*gasps*

All that insistence on Petunia not being a squib . . . she's a witch. She has to be.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder who will get the Defense Against the Dark Arts Job! It may be that Dumbledore will need to start teaching it himself, taking up the head of the DA himself!

It is time for Ron and Hermoine to get the kissing started! I would also have Harry finally hook up with Ginny!

I have to think that Hagrid may be the Half Blood Prince, but wouldn't it be cool if it was William or Harry! Just a thought.

Any Speculation on the Tattoos all over Sirius Black in the movie? Could it be rune magic like the Pytran's in the Death Gate Cycle have? If so might we hear more about it in the next book as Harry seeks an edge to fight Voldemo... er He who must not be named. Hermoine has taken ancient runes and arithemancy and can do the protean charm, maybe she will tatt Harry up!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie- That was a typo, sorry! I'm fixing it now.

[ November 29, 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

But JK Rowling says she's a muggle. Maybe she's a part blood or something?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Blacwolve, that makes more sense now [Smile]

Please don't get me started on the sheer evils of any relationship other than sibling between Harry and Ginny. ICK! Anyone else (except Ron) would be better. Even McGonagall would be better than Ginny.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Carrie. Why so adverse?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, I think it's really, *really* unlikely that we'll see a resolution or progression to Ron and Hermione's relationship until the end of the 7th book. It's too important to their relationship with Harry that they squabble and have their tension.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
The prophesy didn't really make sense to me...I remember Dumbledore said something that Voldemort only heard the beginning of the prophesy, about a boy who is born on the end of July. So that's why he went to kill Harry...But he didn't hear the part about "the powers the dark lord knows not" hence the part about the dark lord knows not...But if this were true, what would prompt Voldemort to kill Harry if all he heard was that a boy would be born in the end of July? And if he did hear the part about how Harry was the only one who could kill Voldemort, then what power does Harry possess that the Dark Lord doesn't know about? Am I forgetting something? [Confused]
Edit for typos

[ November 29, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: JaimeBenlevy ]

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

The prophecy says that the one with the power to defeat the dark lord will be born to parents who have thrice defied him as the 7th month wanes. Or something close to that. So he got that the kid would be a threat, he just didn't know how.
GaalD
Member # 6222

What part did he miss then? I think I remember something about how he only heard the beginning but missed the end...
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

'The Dark Lord will mark him as his equal' or some such.

What is wrong with Ginny? I think she is getting kind of cute! I think that the chasing other boys thing is just what Hermoine told her to do to get her confidence up to catch Harry.

Which one of the trio will become an Animagus? I bet it will be Ron, Hermoine is too obvious, an dI think JK has said Harry will not be.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

But how does that give him the power the Dark Lord knows not? There should be a part that Voldemort didn't hear about that states a power that Harry has...But Voldemort also must have heard something that deemed Harry to be a threat which is why Voldemort went to kill him...I always knew there had to be some hole in the Harry Potter books...
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Love is the power he knows not. But also perhaps some weakness he aquired when he used Harry's blood to bring himself back.

BC

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but Harry and Ginny is just not right or at least I can't see it happening.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Now Harry and LUNA on the other hand... [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I don't like Luna! I think I'm the only one in the world. *mutters*

Jaime- Why don't you go, get the book, and read that chapter, and then come back and discuss it. It won't take that long.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, I'm not especially fond of Luna myself, but I can see she and Harry getting to be a lot closer as time goes on...they have a lot of things pushing them together, even if it's just a close friendship.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone in your dislike for Luna. I couldn't stand her and spent a good portion of time telling my mom that (we were reading side by side but with our own copies of the book).
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Luna!

If she was just flakey, I'd find her annoying... but she's capable of a lot of empathy, and she shows more moral fiber than most Hogwarts students, who're usually quick to believe anything bad about Harry.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Never liked her except that she is ga-ga over Ron, and she is his neighbor, meaning that she builds his confidence and she can pop over and see him all summer and make Hermoine crazy!

She is one of his nine that fought in the Hall, so she has a certain inner circle status.

BC

Demosthenes_08
Member # 7058

- posted      Profile for Demosthenes_08   Email Demosthenes_08         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a big fan of books to movies but i guess the only reason i've turned into a book to movie loving dude is because virtually all the movies are based on books now a days...oh well. i'm gonna go check out all the sites you people posted about the harry potter book/movies so thanks for that information.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demosthenes_08
Member # 7058

- posted      Profile for Demosthenes_08   Email Demosthenes_08         Edit/Delete Post 
i think that filch is mrs. figg on some crazy random note...for one thing, they both have a slightly obsessive attraction to cats or just a cat. also, they're both squibs. i think that something was said about filch smelling like cabbage but i'm probably wrong but mrs. figg's house smells like cabbage...

that's just somethin to get a discussion going..hahaa

Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, I can't keep up with all this. I just like to read the books. [Big Grin]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I liked Luna a lot more the second time I read the book. I think what bugged me the most was that right after it came out everyone was going all, "I love Luna, because Luna's crazy like me. So I'm special because I'm like Luna, and we're both weird and misunderstood, so there." And I just wanted to point out that Luna didn't just like science fiction when no one else around her does, Luna's pretty much downright crazy.

I just reread the book and she bothered me a lot less. She is a very good person, even though she's weird. I would hope that in the next books she losses some of the eccentricism, which feels forced to me, but keeps the vagueness and the empathy.

10 points to anyone who can make sense of this post.

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really believe that Filch is Mrs. Figg because Mrs. Figg seemed nice and she's a woman and Filch is a grumpy old man.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mae, good to see you again! How have things been going? What ever happened with your mother's job situation?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as far as Harry and Luna:

Keep in mind that James and Lily fell for one another, even though they were diametrically opposed at one point.

[Smile]

Now that I think on it, didn't Snape call Lily a mudblood when she was defending him from James? So her parents, at least, weren't wizardly.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it won't happen, but I want Snape to be happy at the end.
More probably he'll be killed trying to protect one of the trio.
EDIT to add : How could Petunia be a witch ? Her parents were muggles, that's sure, and sincerely, since the tirade in the beginning of the fisrt book, when Harry discovers he's a wizard and Petunia tells about her sister... Very convincing, hum ?

[ November 30, 2004, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Dumbledore didn't kill (or try to kill) Voldemort because his life is far more linked to Harry's than we know. JKR syas that we should be asking why V didn't die, and I believe that he somehow linked his life essence to Harry's so that he became sort of a leach on Harry's life force. He isn't just trying to kill Harry because he wants him dead, but because Harry is now a weakness of his own, and only by killing him himslef can he take all of the life force back and become invulerable again.

Dumbledore knows this and refrains from killing V because he knows that truth....

That when V dies, so does Harry.

Unless Harry finds this out adn kills V himself....or he tells someone else to do it while he holds V in check, sacrificing himself to end it all for good.
Kwea

[ November 30, 2004, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

You know, I really can't imagine Harry deliberately sacrificing himself. I don't think he'll survive through the books, but I think it'll be because he and Voldemort kill each other, not because he sacrifices himself in order to get Voldemort. He just seems much too in love with life to suicide, even in such a noble fashion.
Anna
Member # 2582

Yep, I agree with that.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

blac, it seems to me that Harry has consistantly sacrificed himself in every book if it meant saving others' lives. In the Chamber of Secrets he would have been dead if it hadn't been for Fawkes, for example. In every book he deliberately places himself in harms way, usually to save someone, sometimes simply because he's a big fat target. So I can totally see him dying at the end of the series if it meant the end of Voldemort. Personally, I think he's going to die at the end of the series and that the aftermath will result in peace for the magical world.

Anna, I think Snape *is* going to be happy at the end, and that he'll prove out to be the biggest hero of the series in terms of glory in the wizard's world. He'll still be his sour self, but people will finally understand him and he will be accepted at a level he's never been accepted before. In other words...the wizarding world will see in him what Dumbledore does.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Oh Jeni, I would so love that to happen.
The Snape part, I mean. Strangely, I feel attached to him.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Harry dies in the end. Don't know why, though.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Someone at mugglenet.com told that Ron would die and that would give Harry the kick to kill Voldemort. He had some pretty good clues to say that. If you want to read it : go for it.

I don't know if Harry will die or not, but I bet he will kill someone on book six. He actually used the Endoloris charm on book 5, it's just a step further I think...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Endoloris the French version of the crucio curse (the one that causes pain)?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Woops. yes. I read the 4th one in French, the others in English, and now I'm all upside-down with the languages. So much differences !
Scott R
Member # 567

Why would anyone WANT spoilers?

I hated knowing that someone was going to kick the bucket in OotP. I want things to jump out at me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Spoilers and guess are different. I like to anticipate without really knowing.
Scott R
Member # 567

Ooops-- wrong thread.

[ November 30, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

jeni- I didn't mean that harry doesn't sacrifice, but I don't think he would sacrifice with no hope of living. When he went into the Chamber of Secrets his goal was to live, because only if he lived could he get Ginny out. He always, always keeps fighting for his life, even though he deliberately puts it in danger. I don't think that's the same as telling someone to kill him, because that will kill Voldemort. There's a huge difference between putting yourself in danger and hoping to live, and putting yourself in danger with the knowledge that there is no way you will survive.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I think it's essential to Harry's character that he is willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of others, even to the point of saying, "Okay Ron, take that sword over there and run me through. It's clear that's the only way we're going to get rid of Voldemort." It's just something he is. It's part of what Lily gave him in dying herself...the willingness to take death if that's what it took for others to live. None of which is to say that he doesn't love life, and that he would like to live to a ripe old age. It's the mentality of an Auror -- willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice if that's what it takes to protect others.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't count as sacrifice if you ask your best bud to do it.

Luna was in the last book? I only read it once, which explains why I don't recall the name.

I like Snape, but I don't want him to be particularly happy if only because his unhappiness is mostly self-inflicted and circumstances should not encourage or support his self-centered worldview.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

*surprised* How is it not a sacrifice? I should think it would be a sacrifice for *both* parties in that case.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sacrifice is when you do it to yourself - when you ask your friend to do it, you place one heck of a burden on him.

And at the end of the day, he's the one who has to live with the fact he impaled you on a sword.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to see Sirius again. ::sniff::

I want to find out more about Lupin, too.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.