FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Magic Bullet for 13% of Lung Cancer Patients

Author Topic: Magic Bullet for 13% of Lung Cancer Patients
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Link to Forbes article
NPR audio feature

I had a meeting about a year ago with the head of the university's cancer research center, and she told me they had just found a gene that showed a predisposition to get breast cancer. They were looking at it from a detection standpoint, but now I hope they're also looking at it from a drug delivery standpoint.

This is just an awsome result. The results are dramatic and amazing in the few people it helps.

Just, wow.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the gene testing has to be done after the cancer manifests - it's looking for a particular mutation that causes the cancer cells to replicate rapidly. So a similar test for breast cancer would probably not be directly related to the pre-disposition test.

It does hint at highly-targeted cancer treatments in the relatively near future, though. Very exciting. I expect this will perk up interest in a lot of drugs that are only successful sometimes.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
well, actually, the breast cancer gene she's probably referring to is BRCA1. It can be used as a screening tool, but having the gene doesn't mean you will get breast cancer:

"so far, we can only test for 2 of them, BRCA1 and BRCA2.  Your risk of getting breast cancer if you carry either of these breast cancer gene faults could be as much as 85% by the time you are 55 years old.  Up to 85 women out of every 100 that carry a faulty breast cancer gene will have developed breast cancer by the time they are 55. " (from here

Though, only 5% of new breast cancer patients have the BRCA1 gene, though.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

That's why I said predisposed instead of DEATH IS COMING YOUR WAY.

Dag, I know there's a lot of room between the two, but if this is the approach to designing a drug, that seems like a good place to start looking.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This is wonderful news! Thanks for passing it on, celia. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
celia: I wasn't responding to you, silly. I certainly didn't mean to imply you had gotten anything wrong.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, I understand all that. I was just adding an additional piece of info from my cancer clinical trial days.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I know, I just wanted to use all caps for something today. [Smile]

Dag, feel free to expand on that. Or have I managed to miss the thread that was on. I was close to having a research project with clinical trials, but I'm much happier working with cells than with people.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

It was from my IT days - we wrote software to help pre-screen trials for patients: http://www.trialcheck.org/cancertrialshelp/cancertrialshelp.aspx

Anyway, I went to two ASCO annual meetings. Most of our work was setting up and taking down computers in the booths, so I had time to visit some of the talks. The one I remember most vividly was the vision of developing aboslutely personalized cancer treatment, where cancer cells from the particular patient are genetically analyzed and a compound specifically targeted at that cancer would be used. He said there would be something like several hundred different compounds just for adenocarcenoma of the breast. The little I know about this was from the background portion of that speech.

Obviously, we're not even close to this right now. But it's fascinating to think about. So the stuff I put in my first post is really the only level of knowledge I have.

Dagonee
P.S. what I liked best about systems analysis and data modeling was how much you can learn about so many different subjects. Construction loans, environmental cleanup, military budget generation - it was fascinating.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.