FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Web hosting help

Author Topic: Web hosting help
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little annoyed with my current web host. I'm on a free hosting plan right now, and as free plans go, it's great. However, I used to have POP e-mail access, but this mysteriously disappeared some time ago when I hit my bandwidth limit one day while working on my site. I e-mailed support about it, and they told me that free plans don't have POP access. Well, why did I have it before I exceeded my bandwidth limit and had my site temporarily shut down?

In the "Welcome to Netfirms Web Hosting" e-mail I received when I first signed up, they said I could access my e-mail through any POP client. I was never informed of any change to my plan or anything like that. I know I'm just a free user, but can they do that? I want my POP e-mail back.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This one's floating around the web right now: http://www.easyhost.com/

Its nothing special, but its better than what you have, and its cheap, and its giving away 3 free months.

However, I'd suggest going for a next tier up webhost, if you can at all afford it. Pick somebody reliable and pay around $15/month. Its pricier, but you're more likely to be able to stick with the same web host in the long run.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard good things about iPowerWeb and LunarPages, both of which offer 800MB storage and 40GB transfer for $8/month.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty happy with HostDepartment, which charges me around $12 a month. And in addition to answering all support e-mails, they also have chat-based support.

[ May 01, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I pay HostRocket $10/mo for 1GB/50GB, and they have no problem answering all my pesky support tickets.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions, but my question really was, can I make my web host give me back my POP access?

But if I do switch, I'm considering RoutHost's Bronze Plan (only $1.95 a month when paid annually).

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
gah, I thought Saruman was Pat's name!

::shakes head in disbelief::

I thought I could tell them all apart! [Cry]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but my question really was, can I make my web host give me back my POP access?
No. With a paid host you could always threaten to quit...though even with a paid host your chances of changing their mind would be slim...with a free host there is nothing you can do.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat gave Saruman to me several months ago. We mostly just like to keep you guessing.

Thanks, Lupus. That's what I thought.

[ May 02, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Saruman ]

Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.