FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Not a 'Friend' in the world (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New column: Not a 'Friend' in the world
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd appreciate edited Shakespeare too, though.

Guess we'll just have to call a difference opinion on this one.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

If you're willing to purposely avoid some of Shakespeare's works of genius because you don't want to read anything pertaining to sex, works for me. You are a prude. That's not a bad thing, don't ditch the label for the connotations when the denotation is accurate.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't read Shakespeare because I'm afraid someone might mention sex. I meant that I think the works would be better without raunchy references. I'm not prudish enough to think that mere exposure to something I don't agree with morally is going to taint me. I see and read a lot of things I don't approve of. That doesn't mean I have to approve of them.

I have no qualms, however, about avoiding television shows when they're trashy and pointless. I'm not missing anything by not watching Friends and, truth be told, I really don't think I'm missing out on anything essential to my cultural enrichment by not even watching R rated movies.

My main argument is that there is plenty of beautiful literature and art in the world that doesn't have "just one scene" or "mild passing references" to obscure its message. I don't think people need to be wasting their time with second-rate entertainment at all.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether you like it or not, the show has been a part life for the past decade and I think I'll always remember it with fondness. Besides, I would be upset with you people bad-mouthing the show if I weren't sure that some stuff that you guys like would see crappy to me.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Please use "prude" properly. Traditionally a prude meant a wise woman, and the fact that it gradually changed to mean someone excessively concerned with being or appearing to be proper, modest, or righteous is a sad commentary on how women are treated when they seem too "smart."
Currently it's considered to be someone who is concerned about whether his or her words, actions, attire, etc, are proper according to what a particular group of people thinks is normal or appropriate.

Annie doesn't like sexual references in her entertainment, but that doesn't qualify her for "prude" unless she feels that way because she thinks she's supposed to. What if she truly doesn't like them for her own reasons? Does she have to?
Also, all we know at this point is that she doesn't like what she considers raunchy sexual references, so the point of contention is actually over where the line of raunch is, and that's different for everyone anyway.

[ May 07, 2004, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't blame her... I dislike cheap, casual sex on sitcoms. It's stupid.
Ironically I like QAF though... Ah, well...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my problem with the "prude" label is that it implies that normal people enjoy sexual humor and anyone who doesn't is repressed somehow. Tastes vary.

Personally I enjoy entertainment with sexual humor and situations quite a lot, but I've got my preferences. Pre-marital sex doesn't bother me, for example, but any plot that glorifies or condones adultery bugs me like you wouldn't believe, even if it's supposed to be funny.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's confusing... On one hand I laugh at loud at ribauld and inappropiate humour. Especially in South Park or at stupid double entendres... But on the other hand... I find some humour like that to be childish and dumb.
I guess it depends on how it's done.
Friends usually bores me the way Seinfeld always does.
It's very odd..
But adultery in shows is irratating.. Premarital sex, as long as it's not stupid casual sex, I don't care.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think any of my top ten endings would have been better, or even ending it with the line, "I got off the plane."

Instead we have a final shot of all their backsides heading down to get coffee, and then a close up of the door, with its cute frame.

A bit anti-climatic.

Still it was enjoyable.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the best joke of the finale was the "Unless we are on a break" line. Made me laugh.

[ May 07, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I laughed at that one too.

Friends, in my opinion, is an okay show. It isn't groundbreakingly wonderful, it isn't a work of genius, but it's an okay sitcom. Not one of my favorites, and not one I've been bothered by missing fairly regularly, but it doesn't seem to me to be the monstrosity that it appears to have been for some people here. It isn't something I get worked up about either way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, how do you feel about the nude in art?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3) Final shot pans out of the apartments, revealing the building is in a snow globe being stared at by a possibly autistic Joey.
This was very funny. [Big Grin]

------

Man, Joey has been getting stupider and stupider through the whole series. My husband and I were talking about the sad downfall of Joey, as he went from the Goofball Stud (who was very lovable) to the Annoying Oaf That Can't Stop Eating Long Enough To Go On A Date, Except For That Time He Went On A Date And Ticked Her Off By Eating Her Cake. For crying out loud, that's the saddest part of the entire thing. He wasn't even concerned that he wasn't going to get lucky...apparently the lure of the cake was more tempting than a roll in the hay. Puh-leaze. It's NOT JOEY anymore.

That said, I almost never like/watch the popular shows until they get syndicated and I don't really know why. Maybe because they pick and choose which episodes to show? It happened to me with Seinfeld, King of the Hill, Simpsons, and Friends. I enjoy the old episodes (think first and second season) but I don't like these new ones much. I did, however, watch the last few episodes, but only because they were the last few episodes.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie's prude? No one has called me prude. I'm losing my stride here.

Nudity in artwork is not the same as sex in artwork. Though sex can be depicted in artwork without the nudity. A depiction of sex meaning sex would not be art. It would be illustration.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Define art.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
art
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, this says a lot for how much I enjoy your columns... but while Hatrack was down (for me, until an hour ago) I missed my Wednesday fix.

Of course, I couldn't remember what newspaper you wrote for... but a couple of google searches later and it was all better.

And it made my day much more enjoyable, and bearable [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I Love nudes in art. The more gratuitous the better. We need a lot more blantant nudity in this silly prudish country.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Honestly, though? It's a bunch of smut. It's ok to hate pop culture when pop culture is debasing, immoral, and disgusting. Were there any complete episodes that you would be comfortable watching all the way through with your mother?
I realize this was on the last page, but it just shocked me when I read it because I've never heard anyone call Friends "disgusting." It's funny, though, cause I avoid, what's-it-called...The O.C. because their characters are ridiculous and way too promiscuous for me to have any respect for any of them...they are caricatures of real people. Friends, though? Friends!? It's a sitcom! They're funny! They're supposed to be fairly one-dimensional and have fairly obvious quirks because it's FUNNY and how deep can you get in a half-hour? Situational Comedy, yes? It's funny that six friends have no lives and keep bandying about between liking one and liking the other, and then liking random people that you KNOW they're not going to get together with permanently because we as an audience would spit all over the television screen (Charlie? Come on! Her name was CHARLIE!) and except for Paul Rudd, which like Laura Linney is on Frasier, the acceptable last-minute love for Phoebe cause he's been in MOVIES....

I'm rambling.

Point is, it's comedy. Not for all tastes. But there are far...far...let me hear one more FAR worse, debasing, disgusting, immoral shows on television RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK. To add on to what Dan said about the best Abstinence episode...not only did Ross and Joey learn that condoms are NOT 100% effective...but Rachel, a liberal working women -- did NOT get an abortion. Uhoh! Dispelled THAT stereotype.

And I'm sure you weren't really addressing the watching with ones mother question at someone like me, but for crying out loud. Yes, of course I would, and have, and I believe the first time I watched it was with my mother when I was...13? 14? And we watched it every week.

Maybe that's why I've been corrupted [Angst]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

While watching the final episode (bringing my lifelong "Friends" episode tally to four) I was also noticing the commercials for teh other shows on. Particularly "Fear Factor," which was bragging about their all-girl episode and showing women being locked in morque cabinets after being zipped into body bags full of worms.

I honestly don't understand what's keeping the Lions vs Christians show from debuting. Insurance hassles?

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
There are far, far worse things in the world than Friends.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.pulseweekly.com/article_read.asp?id=2090
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Ugly Naked Guy idea.

Actually, as it was closing, I hoped the would pan down to the apartment where Ugly Naked Guy lived, and show Bob Newhart naked (But with the naughty bits covered by furniture.) "Hey Emily. It seems the annoying folks across the street are finally moving out."

"That's nice dear. Now put some clothes on."

He turns. "Sure, as soon as you start wearing more sweaters."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobbie, where are you from that you're reading pulseweekly? Or did you just find that randomly?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't work, Dan. Ross lives in that apartment now.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. Don't cloud genius with facts! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
There are far, far worse things in the world than Friends.
You're right. Let's put them on network television.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
They *are* on network television.

Have you seen The Swan?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, I'm in the Wyoming Valley, about 70 miles from Allentown.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.