FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If I was offended at this, does that mean I have no sense of humor?

Author Topic: If I was offended at this, does that mean I have no sense of humor?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Five Types of Moms: Which One Are You?

I'm pretty sure it's trying to be funny by omitting the "traditional" good mom. But although that kind of mom has always been rare, she's not extinct. I grew up with one, and I fully intend to be one. What about Belle and other wonderful moms on this board? Not once in this list does it mention a mom who actually loves her children and devotes time to them for them. Does that bother anyone else?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not highly humorous, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it offensive. It's a weird combination of putting down celebs while keeping them in our faces. I'll chalk it up to "no bad press" mentality. Given that I'm not trying to give my mom the gift of contempt this year, I wouldn't forward it to her.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is your point a good one, Brinestone, they've managed to be nasty and insulting to just about every OTHER mom out there too. [Razz] Maybe "traditional" moms should be glad they got left off. Or maybe they just couldn't think of a good way to skewer 'em. [Smile]

Here's to all the moms who work so hard and get so little credit (which pretty much means all of them [Wink] ) -- consider it an early Mother's Day thing. [The Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You're so sweet Brinestone. [Smile]

Yes, it does manage to insult pretty much every mom, as stereotypes almost always do.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
All those moms sound pretty bad... I mean, all of them seem to care more about themselves than their kids. Except for the last one, I guess.

Also, they're all based on celebrities. And we all know they raise the world's most perfect children.

[ May 06, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing how I still live under the same roof as my mother, I had to close this quickly before she saw it because she was right outside my bedroom door. This would have made her pretty angry...

My dad laughed. [Dont Know] "No wonder we have so many divorces these days!" <-- To quote him.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
It reads like it was written by someone in junior high school. What's to be offended by?
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I hearby offer a toast to all the good mothers at Hatrack! Hear hear hear!

[Hail] [Kiss] [Party]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point is just to illustrate and ridicule (possibly) horrible celebrity mothers.

While I thought some had merit -- Madonna and Joan Rivers using their kids as fashion accessories, for example -- I thought the "Boomerang Mom" was very insulting.

But I think they deliberately left the "good moms" of the list because the point was to show how to be a bad one. So in that way, I wouldn't be too worried about it [Smile]

[ May 06, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the fact that on the same site was a link to an article that said that parents' biggest complaint was that they couldn't spend enough time doing things with their children due to work pressures, housework etc. This to me suggests that most mums and dads do not, in fact, fit those five categories.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was just a stupid joke. It fell into that huge category of "not insulting AND not funny". Anybody who was either slightly offended by this, or found it humorous in any way needs to give up their life.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"Anybody who was either slightly offended by this, or found it humorous in any way needs to give up their life."

Was slightly offended by that sentence. Was also slightly offended by the way the little list was presented. Whoever wrote it is very bitter and shouldn't be writing humor.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, offended was too strong a word, but it did bother me that the list was presented as if all mothers fall into one of those five categories. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*is highly offended by jebus' claim that she ought not be offended by the list*

[Mad]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I take offence, rivka, to the fact that you could find my harmless post in any way offensive.

I order you to throw yourself off a building as soon as possible.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. I'm not the one who wanted a broken bone. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of BASE jumping.
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely lame and unfunny. Someone got paid to write that?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't offended, but it certainly was not funny.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was funny, and I don't think it was (meant) to be offensive.

I think it comes off that way because the humor is so inept. Are they being tongue in cheek? Ironic? Sarcastic? I can't tell. I think that you should be offended at the stupid jokes more than anything [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.