FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sports and advertising...have they gone too far?

Author Topic: Sports and advertising...have they gone too far?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
spider-man ads on bases

Basically, for two days, spider-man 2 ads will be on Major League Baseball bases.

Now, I understand the need for advertising in professional sports. I get that. But to actually put the ads on the BASES?

Does this bother anyone else?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it does. Fortunately, my team (the Arizona Diamondbacks) will not be participating in the promotion.

How are the fans supposed to see the ads unless they have binoculars?

It just seems stupid to me.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's for the TV cameras, which do see the bases, especially when tagging, sliding, etc. If the ads are on the 2-3" vertical part of the bases they will get the most advertising for their buck.

It seems wrong, but then again so did advertising all around the walls of the stadium, and now we accept it. We'll accept the base thing soon, too. And then covering the uniforms with advertising, and the bats and the balls...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell, who cares about 40,000 fans in the park when there are a couple at home who will be watching close-ups of the bases at any steal attempt, pickoff attempt, close play at a base...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't particularly care.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, ads on the standium walls never bothered me... Have you seen photos of stadiums back at the early part of the last century?

I do think this ad campaign is a bit too far though.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for them to run ads on the uniforms, I mean other than the Adidas ads already covering half of the outfit.

Can you picture--KFC add placed squarely on the backside of some young gymnast as she strains during the rings segment?

Or how about Mc Donald's golden arches on the weight lifters chest as he heaves the equivelant of 3,200 quarter pounders.

Or maybe Yahoo High Speed Internet along the back of a sprinter's shirt?

Pete's Wrecker Service on a tackles arm as he sacks a quarter back.

The possibilities are endless.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What a bunch of crock. Why do execs assume that I'm not going to be annoyed by that? It's bad enough when they have the shoddy green screen ad behind the batter getting in the way of the pitch and swing. Now the bases are going to be obscured by more poorly handled technology. Bleh.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't really bother me...better that they add them to the bases, rather than add more comercials to make money. Of course, they could always lower the INSANE salaries of the players and they would not need to squeeze out as many adds.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. But because it's Spider-man I'll forgive them.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Dan.

quote:
Can you picture--KFC add placed squarely on the backside of some young gymnast as she strains during the rings segment?

Girls don't perform in rings. Only the men do. Sheesh.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
This was just shot down, actually.

Not being a fan of (watching) 'America's pasttime' (talk about out of date), I didn't really care-even though it is extremely tacky.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
See, you guys are getting upset at this for all the wrong reasons!! What about the baseball player that's just hit a great double, but then is tagged out because he was distracted by the add on 1st base and had to slow down as he rounded the corner?

This is outrageous!!!

[ May 07, 2004, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about the baseball player that's just hit a great double, but then is tagged out because he was distracted by the add on 1st base and had to slow down as he rounded the corner?
That would so be me!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
You'l be glad to hear that due to fan pressure, the whole idea of ads on bases has been dropped (for now, at least).

here's the link

[ May 07, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: hugh57 ]

Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute. Why exactly is this upsetting again? I mean, it's a game. Not a sacred religious experience. What's to ruin?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
That's good, or they might start looking like Nascars. Then how would we tell the difference?
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait a minute. Why exactly is this upsetting again? I mean, it's a game. Not a sacred religious experience. What's to ruin?
Well, it's pretty sacred, as far as sacred goes in this country. [Wink]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
When the home team has to dress up as Spidey and the away team has to dress up as the Green Goblin (regardless of hometown origin), that's when I'll get worried.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Sacred's about all baseball's got going for it, right now.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Congress should passing a law making sure that all Spidermen are steroid tested.

"A radioactive spider bit me, and I grew super strength."

Nice try buttwad.

Spidey's on the Juice.

sorry kids

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-mutant superhero, Spidy needs all the extra juice he can get. [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to get excited about this when boxers have ads painted on their backs.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When the home team has to dress up as Spidey and the away team has to dress up as the Green Goblin (regardless of hometown origin), that's when I'll get worried.
That is a good idea. You should market it before someone else gets rich off it and laugh your way to the bank. [Big Grin]

Just think if opposing teams wore outfits of opposing movies. With Spider Man and Green Goblin vs. Beatrice, Bill, and the man from Okinawa, I might actually watch baseball. Or a team of Agent Smiths vs. the cast from LOTR—how cool would that be!

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Oliphant always swings for the cheap seats, and while slow running the bases, you really don't want to tag him out.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think for a second that this was MLB's decision to pull the plug on this. Columbia pulled it because of the backlash and negative publicity. This had nothing to do with Baseball listening to It's fans.

(Capitalization used to promote the notion of Sacredness) [Big Grin]

Also, my dad told me this joke last night:

What do you do to a hippopotamus with three balls?

Walk him and pitch to the elephant.

He heard it in line at the airport coming to see me.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.